Windows 10: Installing Windows 10 on a used PC with formatted hard drive

Discus and support Installing Windows 10 on a used PC with formatted hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, everyone. This question is bugging me a lot lately. I recently bought a used Dell XPS and it came with Windows 10. I used it for some time but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AbdulRehman8112000, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Installing Windows 10 on a used PC with formatted hard drive

Hello, everyone. This question is bugging me a lot lately. I recently bought a used Dell XPS and it came with Windows 10. I used it for some time but then felt that the Windows was cracked. I formatted my SSD and asked my friend to download the Dell OS Recovery tool on his PC. He downloaded that tool on his PC and the tool detected by entering the service tag of my laptop that my laptop came with Windows 10 Home. Then, the tool automatically downloaded all files into my friend's USB on his PC. I put that USB into my laptop and got Windows 10 automatically activated because Dell XPS comes with Windows 10 installed from the factory. Now my question is, am I legally allowed to do this? I've thought that the Windows can only be downloaded on the PC licensed for it. But my PC is licensed and there was no way for me to install windows on it except by using another PC cuz my SSD was formatted. Also, there was no point for me to purchase another license when my PC already had one. Please help and I'm really worried if I've breached MS terms and done something illegal.

:)

AbdulRehman8112000, Jun 18, 2020

2. Windows 10 formatting ?

You got a digital entitlement if you did the upgrade. But you must of had an original windows seven key which will work perfectly fine when upgrading to Windows 10. All you need to do is get that Windows 7 key and use it when you reinstall windows 10 on the new hard drive or formatted hard drive

The windows 10 installation media a.k.a. media creation tool will work perfectly fine for doing the transition. Or if you would like Here on tech power up there are several threads that have links to hosted ISO windows 10 images

So in short regardless of which path you choose to do the install all you need is that original key for windows seven if this is a prebuilt PC you should be able to acquire it with your sticker that stuck somewhere on the PCs back or bottom

Iso link
    Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File)

jboydgolfer, Jun 18, 2020
  3. dhdude Win User
    Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile Installing Windows 10 on a used PC with formatted hard drive :)

dhdude, Jun 18, 2020
  4. Installing Windows 10 on a used PC with formatted hard drive

How to partially format a hard drive?

I just installed Windows 8 on my computer. I placed the files I wanted to keep on an external hard drive prior to the installation, that is fine. However, I though that the process would format the computer's hard drive, which it did not.

Is it possible to format my hard drive in order to keep only what is related to Windows 8?
    If not, can I format the whole thing and re-use the same Windows 8 key?

Thanks for your help

Gdn8Melbourne3, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

Installing Windows 10 on a used PC with formatted hard drive

1. Installing Windows 10 on a used PC with formatted hard drive - Similar Threads - Installing used formatted

2. formatting a windows installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    formatting a windows installed hard drive: hello,i wanted to ask that how to format a windows installed HDD. I have removed the HDD from an old laptop and I want to wipe everything up including windows and use it as an expansion drive for my new computer. The drive has Windows 10 20h2 installed. Thanks :...
  3. formatting a windows installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    formatting a windows installed hard drive: hello,i wanted to ask that how to format a windows installed HDD. I have removed the HDD from an old laptop and I want to wipe everything up including windows and use it as an expansion drive for my new computer. The drive has Windows 10 20h2 installed. Thanks :...
  4. formatting a windows installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Formatting Hard Drives Windows Installation?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Formatting Hard Drives Windows Installation?: Hi. I have four hard drives in my computer. On one is Windows 10 and I want to reinstall the operating system. In the Windows installation manager (when booting from the stick etc.) you can format the hard drives. The only thing is that I have to unplug my remaining 3...
  6. Formating a hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formating a hard drive.: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  7. Formating Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formating Hard Drives: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  8. Format hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Format hard drive: I cannot do updates because I am out of disk space but I cannot figure out how to free up disk space. I've deleted all unneeded program files and want to just reformat the hard drive. The option to reformat is grayed out, however. Sometimes the laptop will give me a gray...
  9. formatting a hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    formatting a hard drive: does anyone know how to format a hard drive to load and run windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-hard-drive/398827f9-3683-4e2c-a621-a32071e1d680
  10. Formatting Hard drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Formatting Hard drive in Windows 10: If I want to make a bootable hard drive for Windows 10 in the NTFS file system with no partitions do I have to do it in the GPT format?...