Windows 10: Installing Windows 10 on GPT disk, partitions not in correct order?

Discus and support Installing Windows 10 on GPT disk, partitions not in correct order? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro Biostar TZ77XE4 I have been able to "successfully" boot the CD Drive into UEFI mode to install Windows 10 onto my new 4TB SSHD, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TheColdOne, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Installing Windows 10 on GPT disk, partitions not in correct order?

Windows 10 Pro
    Biostar TZ77XE4

I have been able to "successfully" boot the CD Drive into UEFI mode to install Windows 10 onto my new 4TB SSHD, but I run into the error were it stats that the partitions are not in the recommended order, when the ONLY partitions on the disk are the primary and the "protective MBR" before it at slot 0.

Now, when I am in windows for the first time everything seems fine, but as soon as I restart after doing basic setup, I run into an issue where I cannot browse any partitions (I try to open "This PC", but it acts like it is indexing indefinitely and I never see the drive listing).

It looks like Windows 10 may not be appropriately setting the order for the partitions. I included a screenshot of the setup below.

Is this incorrect? How would I be able to correct the issue?

Installing Windows 10 on GPT disk, partitions not in correct order? [​IMG]

At the moment I left my original installation on my 1TB HHD intact, so that I can still have an operating PC, and find out some info on this.

I literally never heard of GPT (or at least remember it) before a couple days ago.

:)

TheColdOne, Feb 5, 2016

2. Windows 10 home fresh install from new OS CD

Boot from Windows 10 Install media on USB or DVD. Then choose Custom install. First delete all partitions from the hard disk. Do not recreate any partitions. Then install should proceed normally. With no partitions, Windows setup can first convert the
    disk initialization to GPT and then create the default UEFI GPT partition layout.

Don Cuthbert, Feb 5, 2016
  3. Error code 0xc00000e in Windows 10

Run Diskpart.

list disk

select disk 0

list partition

list volume

Your message "A different partition scheme is used on this disk" means your disk is a GPT-initialized disk for a UEFI BIOS mode computer.

If you go into your BIOS settings, first find how to reset to Factory defaults and save and restart. Then return to BIOS settings and see if you can enable UEFI and Secure Boot and save and restart.

The original error you reported "MBR Error 1" sounds a bit odd for a UEFI computer, but you can have MBR-initialized disks as well. You need a GPT disk to run Windows on a fully UEFI/Secure Boot PC.

So the diskpart commands will show you the partition layout for your hard disk. For a GPT disk, you should see a FAT32 System partition, a small MSR partition and at least one NTFS partition where Windows
    is installed. List disk should show an asterisk in the GPT column for any GPT-initialized disk.

It is possible and quite easy to replace the FAT32 partition and rebuild it with the correct system files and BCD to boot Windows properly.

Don Cuthbert, Feb 5, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Installing Windows 10 on GPT disk, partitions not in correct order?

Are you trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 or an upgrade? If a clean install, then boot from the Windows 10 USB or DVD and select the Custom install option. Delete all the partitions on the drive, then select the unallocated space to install to.

NavyLCDR, Feb 6, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    The partition order is not relevant.

Do yu have two disks installed as the image you show only shows one partition with D drive.

Post image of other drives as well.

cereberus, Feb 6, 2016
  6. Ok, I may have managed to find out the issue.

This may not have done anything, as the disk order did not change when I plugged the second back in, but there were 2 installed, Disk 0 (the original installation) and disk 1, the current new installation location.

I unplugged the old one completely and installed and it went completely smoothly, without issue.

Though I did run into some problems with an old registry item I like to use, "TakeOwnership", which when used to snag the old user folders/files, broke the Windows Apps (like weather, or photos). I was able to find a way around this as well.
    @NavyLCDR
    That was insanely basic steps on just installing Windows 10 in general, and nothing to do with this specific situation.
    @Cerberus
    The other drive was likely not relevant.

I am still appreciative that both of you at least attempted to reply with something relevant though.

TheColdOne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Installing Windows 10 on GPT disk, partitions not in correct order?

1. Installing Windows 10 on GPT disk, partitions not in correct order? - Similar Threads - Installing GPT disk

2. Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation: I want to add a second installation of WIN 10 to my laptop with dual boot. I’ve made a new partition and created a USB installation drive with the MediaCreationTool. When I go to instal, I select the new partition, but get the following message: "The Partitions on the disk...
  3. Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation: I’ve made a new partition and created a USB installation drive with the MediaCreationTool. When I go to instal, I select the new partition, but get the following message: "The Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order. For additional information about installing to...
  4. need help with GPT partitions order and Windows install

need help with GPT partitions order and Windows install: Hello to everyone: I have a question dealing with gpt / uefi and windows install, So I have a new ssd drive, and I am trying to do a fresh install of Windows 10 using UEFI, so I can install windows 11, which at this point seems to be more trouble than it is worth, I am using...
  5. need help with GPT partitions order and Windows install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need help with GPT partitions order and Windows install: Hello to everyone: I have a question dealing with gpt / uefi and windows install, So I have a new ssd drive, and I am trying to do a fresh install of Windows 10 using UEFI, so I can install windows 11, which at this point seems to be more trouble than it is worth, I am using...
  6. need help with GPT partitions order and Windows install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. What exactly is the correct order of partitions in GPT disk

What exactly is the correct order of partitions in GPT disk: I bought a new 500 GB SSD.I used EasyUS partition magager to make it GPT and then created 4 partitions 80+80+130+130 plus I saw that there was a small partition, some 300 MB at the start of the disk.Then I went to install W8.1 on it, but that said "partitions are not in...
  8. windows 10 cannot install to this GPT PARTITION DISK

windows 10 cannot install to this GPT PARTITION DISK: WINDOWS 10 cannot install to GPT partition style disk. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-install-to-this-gpt-partition/3e7db08c-e8fa-4435-a422-83948e1d86a0
  9. Installing Windows 10 on GPT disk, partitions not in correct order?

Installing Windows 10 on GPT disk, partitions not in correct order?: Its been asked before: Installing Windows 10 on GPT disk, partitions not in correct order? [img] [img] [img] So I went to do a clean install (after a writing zeros to my old hard drive which I am using to test before swapping out my 850 250GB for a 860 1TB). Before I...
  10. installing GPT disks in the right order

installing GPT disks in the right order: How do I install the GPT partitions in the right order? I am trying to install Windows 10 Pro. I keep getting the message that I am trying to install in the wrong order....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. gpt partition recommended order

2. gpt partitions not in recommended order

3. gpt disks not in recommended order

4. windows gpt partition order,
  5. how a windows 10 installation disk looks like partitions,
  6. gpt disk are not in recommended order,
  7. windows 10 not seeing other GPT partitions,
  8. on windows 8.1 installation which partitions to delete when partions arent in the corredt order,
  9. windows 10 ssd gpt partition order,
  10. does windows 10 support gpt partitioning,
  11. what does it mean if partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in recommended order?,
  12. the partition on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommended order