Windows 10: Installing Windows 10 on GPT partition

Discus and support Installing Windows 10 on GPT partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've a Lenovo IdeaPad 110 Laptop which is currently running windows 10 on MBR partition. I want to do a clean install to change the partition type to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AsadShaikh94, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Installing Windows 10 on GPT partition

I've a Lenovo IdeaPad 110 Laptop which is currently running windows 10 on MBR partition. I want to do a clean install to change the partition type to GPT (My lap supports UEFI). How do i do that ?

:)

AsadShaikh94, Dec 23, 2018

2. Installing and booting windows 10 on a GPT partition

I don't want to dual boot or anything fancy. I have a large disk ( 4 TB). I do not want to split it up into smaller MBR partitions. I want the whole disk to be a GPT partition. when I try to install windows 10/64 bit the install reaches the point where it
    is showing you the two partitions and it says windows cannot install because the partition is GPT. Perhaps I fooled myself in reading various links on the net that implied that you could indeed do what I wanted. If windows 10 will in fact install and boot
    up on a large single GPT partition please give some steps to accomplish this.

Thanks

Terry

TerryWegener, Dec 23, 2018
  3. GPT install "Shuts sys Down"

The only time Windows cannot install to a GPT partition is when Windows setup is not running via EFI.

FordGT90Concept, Dec 23, 2018
  4. Installing Windows 10 on GPT partition

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

Background

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a boot sector technology poised to replace the venerable Master Boot Record (MBR) principally because MBR has a maximum capacity of 2 TB for a single partition (some single disks have reached 3 TB). Installing Windows on a GPT is a bit tricky because Windows wants to default back to MBR. In order to force Windows on to a GPT, we have to pre-format the drive prior to Windows installation. You can do that during Windows setup using the console.

Requirements

• Windows Vista or 7 (must be 64-bit no matter which OS is used)
    • A motherboard with EFI BIOS
    • A means to EFI boot the Windows setup (I had to use a USB DVD drive on MSI Z77A-G65, the internal SATA Bluray drives didn't have an EFI option)
    Instructions

• Boot into Windows setup using EFI. On the MSI Z77A-G65, it showed up as UEFI:USB-ATAPI DVD ... This will change according to your motherboard and how you are attempting to enter setup. This step is critical. Without booting into setup via EFI, only MBR is available to the setup. There's no easy way to tell from within setup if it is running via EFI or not.
    • Once you have booted into setup, continue through the process as you would normally until you reach the dialog which shows you the available drives. Load a driver, if necessary, then press SHIFT+F10 to open the command prompt.
    • In the command prompt, enter the following lines, pressing enter after each one. Note that the <id> field below is the disk ID that you want to format as GPT from the "list disk" command. If there's only one drive, <id> will likely be 1. Note: All data on the drive will be lost during this process. Make sure to select the correct drive.
      • diskpart
      • list disk
      • select disk <id>
      • online disk
      • attributes disk clear readonly
      • clean
      • convert gpt
      • create partition efi size=102
      • create partition msr size=32
      • create partition primary
      • format fs=ntfs label="Operating System"
      • assign letter=C
      • exit
      "online disk" and "attributes disk clear readonly" are likely to fail. Don't worry, they are only precautionary. Change the drive letter and label to whatever you want. Also, the above command (specifically "create partition primary") will consume all remaining space on the drive. If you want multiple partitions with fixed sizes, substitute what you want in place of "create partition primary."
    • You may now close the command prompt and click on "Refresh" back in the dialog to choose where to install Windows. You should now see at least 2 partitions (I think Microsoft Reserved is hidden) and it will only let you install on a non EFI/MSR partition. Click on the primary partition and proceed with the installation as normal.
    • Note that in the EFI BIOS after installing Windows via EFI, you can no longer directly boot the volume Windows is installed on. Instead, you must boot via "Windows Boot Manager" (on MSI Z77A-G65, it was "UEFI: Windows Boot Manager"). Keep that in mind if you wish to tweak the boot order.
    Conclusion

That should do it. You should be in Windows with >2 TB of hard drive capacity available if you had more than 2 TB on the Windows partition. Congratulations being on the bleeding edge of technology! *Rockout :rockout:

FordGT90Concept, Dec 23, 2018
Thema:

Installing Windows 10 on GPT partition

1. Installing Windows 10 on GPT partition - Similar Threads - Installing GPT partition

2. Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.: Trying to install new hard drive on my laptop. I have a blank brand new 1 TB hard drive and partitioned as GPT Style partition. Downloaded the mediacreation tool for windows 10 and 11 and installed the boot disk on the blank HDD. When I try to install windows on my laptop, I...
  3. Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.: Trying to install new hard drive on my laptop. I have a blank brand new 1 TB hard drive and partitioned as GPT Style partition. Downloaded the mediacreation tool for windows 10 and 11 and installed the boot disk on the blank HDD. When I try to install windows on my laptop, I...
  4. Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. issue during installation windows 10 in gpt partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    issue during installation windows 10 in gpt partition: hi every one, i have an unusual problem while i try to install new windows on my system , when i try to install windows 10 in gpt partition via flash memory format ntfs and booted in rufus via gpt mode install progress untill 72 percent and then its restart means start...
  6. windows 10 cannot install to this GPT PARTITION DISK

windows 10 cannot install to this GPT PARTITION DISK: WINDOWS 10 cannot install to GPT partition style disk. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-install-to-this-gpt-partition/3e7db08c-e8fa-4435-a422-83948e1d86a0
  7. Can't Install Windows 10 to a GPT Partition

Can't Install Windows 10 to a GPT Partition: I'm pulling my hair out here. PROBLEM: Can't install Windows 10 x64 from an OEM disk ... to a Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb SSD ... on a GPT partition. It installs instead on a MBR partition. SPECS: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Bios version: F4 SSD: Samsung...
  8. GPT Partition Style Problem for Clean Install of Windows 10

GPT Partition Style Problem for Clean Install of Windows 10: Having upgrade Windows 8.1 to W10, I wish to now do a clean install, but cannot install over current installation due to it being a GPT Partition style boot. I have heard this can be deleted and replaced with MBR but then will I have to format the partition? 16662
  9. Cannot install Windows to GPT partition

Cannot install Windows to GPT partition: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on a partition of an SSD (one of four partitions; the other three being rather small and, I suppose, created by Windows 10 itself during the previous installation procedure. I attempted to reinstall Windows 10 to this partition but Windows...
  10. GPT Partition Style preventing Windows 10 Installation

GPT Partition Style preventing Windows 10 Installation: I just built a custom pc with a new mobo. The hdd is used and has 8.1 on it which is not legal on this mobo. I can't really afford to buy 8.1 again. Especially since 10 is free. I burnt 10 to a disk and when I try doing a clean install I get a problem with GPT message...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lenovo ideapad 110 windows cannot be installed to this disk

2. installing to gpt disks windows 10

3. windows 10 install force GPT partition

4. install windows gpt windows 10