Windows 10: Installing Windows 10 on old notebook that runs XP?

Discus and support Installing Windows 10 on old notebook that runs XP? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My son has an old Acer notebook. It still works but not without the occasional hiccups, probably a compatibility issues. It's an Acer Aspire One D260... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by althetrainer, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Installing Windows 10 on old notebook that runs XP?

My son has an old Acer notebook. It still works but not without the occasional hiccups, probably a compatibility issues. It's an Acer Aspire One D260 on Windows XP. Intel Atom Processor N450, 1.66GHz with 1G RAM. I plan on maxing the memory to 2G and replacing the 160G HHD with a 120G SSD, before doing a clean install for Windows 10 32-bit. Online feedback was mixed, some claimed Windows 10 made it worse despite the SSD and more RAM while others experienced improvements. He doesn't need the notebook for games, just Youtube, Google and maybe OpenOffice for making notes etc. Do you think it will work?book

:)

althetrainer, Jan 15, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Installing Windows 10 on old notebook that runs XP?

My son has an old Acer notebook. It still works but not without the occasional hiccups, probably a compatibility issues. It's an Acer Aspire One D260 on Windows XP. Intel Atom Processor N450, 1.66GHz with 1G RAM. I plan on maxing the memory to 2G and replacing the 160G HHD with a 120G SSD, before doing a clean install for Windows 10 32-bit. Online feedback was mixed, some claimed Windows 10 made it worse despite the SSD and more RAM while others experienced improvements. He doesn't need the notebook for games, just Youtube, Google and maybe OpenOffice for making notes etc. Do you think it will work?book

althetrainer, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Installing Windows 10 on old notebook that runs XP?

Installing Windows 10 on old notebook that runs XP?

I guess work has two definitions.

Will it install and will you be able to find all the necessary drivers or ....

Will this laptop be fast enough to be usable.

I have an old XP laptop Dell D630 which runs 10 fine. Like you I installed SSD but I could up memory to 4GB. (and I got new wireless radio)

Do you have a spare HDD? If not do you feel comfortable Imaging and using restore software.

What I was thinking is install as is just to see if Win 10 installs ( which it will ) and if you can solve any driver issues. You may not have any driver issues, Windows 10 does a pretty good job.

If all goes well then you can decide on investing in memory and SSD. I would also look at a Wireless USB dongle. Likely that old laptop is "G" based radio so that will also hamper speed.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

Installing Windows 10 on old notebook that runs XP?

1. Installing Windows 10 on old notebook that runs XP? - Similar Threads - Installing old notebook

2. Can't run old Windows installers on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't run old Windows installers on Windows 10: Hii don't know exactly when this happened but sometime i assume during an update i have lost the ability to run XP period installers on Windows10. compatibility mode does nothing, and there is not even an error message. the installers do not make it passed the initial splash...
  3. Can't run old Windows installers on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't run old Windows installers on Windows 10: Hii don't know exactly when this happened but sometime i assume during an update i have lost the ability to run XP period installers on Windows10. compatibility mode does nothing, and there is not even an error message. the installers do not make it passed the initial splash...
  4. Can't run old Windows installers on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Delete Old Notebooks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete Old Notebooks: If I open OneNote for Windows on my Desktop and select "More Notebooks", I see a list of old Notebooks that have not been accessed for in some cases years. If I try and open them I get an error saying that the notes could not be opened. Since I cant open them, I can't delete...
  6. Delete Old Notebooks

Delete Old Notebooks: If I open OneNote for Windows on my Desktop and select "More Notebooks", I see a list of old Notebooks that have not been accessed for in some cases years. If I try and open them I get an error saying that the notes could not be opened. Since I cant open them, I can't delete...
  7. running windows xp games on windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    running windows xp games on windows 10: hi there, so im trying to run windows xp games on windows 10 the one i want to run is dinner dash and the pop cap games and i see such bad performace on windows 10 on thease games. and i have no idea why. the games flicker and randomly close i have them running on windows 10...
  8. Old Windows XP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Old Windows XP: Has anyone in the Microsoft Community experienced this yet. I made a new discovery today. In 2008 I created a Facebook page using Microsoft Windows XP. Over the course of 5 1/2 years, the News feed has been producing Spam, Malware and effecting everything up and including my...
  9. Running XP Software in Windows 10

Running XP Software in Windows 10: I have software that will only run on XP. it is a database with years of contacts and text templales that I still use extensively. what is the best way to set this up under Windows 10? | read about VMware on here but my knowledge level is limited. Enongh to be...
  10. Problem running old XP program in Compatibility Mode

Problem running old XP program in Compatibility Mode: I have an old XP program, xReminder Pro, that I have been using for many years. I am currently running it in Compatibility Mode on Windows 7 and it runs fine. On my Windows 10 test machine, this program will install and run from a "manual" start in Compatibility Mode (Windows...