Windows 10: Installing Windows 10 on SSD, program asks for MBR and GPT

Discus and support Installing Windows 10 on SSD, program asks for MBR and GPT in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am attempting to install Windows 10 on a Crucial SSD I bought. Everything seems ready for install. I have the media on a flash drive, but when the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TurboSean, Jun 27, 2020.

1. TurboSean Win User

Installing Windows 10 on SSD, program asks for MBR and GPT

I am attempting to install Windows 10 on a Crucial SSD I bought. Everything seems ready for install. I have the media on a flash drive, but when the hard drive and SSD are connected it won't let me install the OS on the SSD. If I unhook the hard drive from the computer and then boot from USB, it starts the install on the SSD without issue. At this point the SSD is formatted in MBR, as the program says that is required. It runs for a bit and then says the computer has to restart, which all seems normal. Upon restart, it takes me to the same Windows install screen, albeit in a sharper resolution. I attempt to install Windows on the SSD again, but now it says it can't install unless the SSD is in GPT mode. I don't understand this at all. This is my first time doing something like this so I am just now learning about partitions and format types and the like.

If it helps:

Comp is an Inspiron 5680

I switched from RAID to AHCI in Bios

I have seen articles citing SATA Controller Arm, but I don't have that option in my Bios.

:)

TurboSean, Jun 27, 2020

2. GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

So I cannot use all the new bios UI and fancy pre-boot evironiment if i don't use UEFI-boot ? With or without GPT?

I just want to use the UEFI without GPT: so can I UEFI-boot and install win7 with MBR?

Now I actually asked the correct question I wanted. Sorry it took time to figure out.

RuskiSnajper, Jun 27, 2020
  3. GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

I do not understand.

GPT is designed almost exclusively to allow huge arrays. The genesis of windows useable GPT drives goes back to Windows XP x64.

UEFI does not require GPT to boot. UEFI is the BIOS, functionally. It runs before any disk is touched.

As far as booting, stick with MBR on your SSD. There is no 2TB+ SSD on the market, and you're unlikely to have a RAID 0 array that large. Windows 7 defaults to MBR, for so many good reasons it isn't funny.

I haven't the slightest idea about where you linked UEFI and GPT. If you've got a large array as your boot drive you might have to cross this bridge, but given the difficulty I'd stay as far away from it as possible. MBR isn't old, it's still the primary windows drive formatting for a darn good reason.

lilhasselhoffer, Jun 27, 2020
  4. Installing Windows 10 on SSD, program asks for MBR and GPT

GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

If I have UEFI BIOS, I'm going to use GPT. Only reason why I wouldn't is because the drive is shared between new and old computers (MBR has broader compatibility support). I wrote a guide how to install Windows on GPT here:
    Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

No. Either you install on GPT via EFI boot or you intall MBR via BIOS boot. You can't install Windows and change it later.

Not only does GPT support booting to partitions larger than 2 TB, it also means the computer is booted using EFI which means it has a lot more memory to work with during startup. It should theoretically mean startup is quicker on EFI/GPT than BIOS/MBR.

FordGT90Concept, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

Installing Windows 10 on SSD, program asks for MBR and GPT

1. Installing Windows 10 on SSD, program asks for MBR and GPT - Similar Threads - Installing SSD program

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  4. Convert MBR to GPT for current SSD running Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert MBR to GPT for current SSD running Windows 10: I got the notification that my PC does not meet current requirement to upgrade to Windows 11. After some research, I found out that my current SSD running W10 is in MBR, which needs to be GPT to satisfy the requirement.Now here is the hard part, is it possible to do a...
  5. MBR to gpt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR to gpt: Hello I hAd installed the window but I didn't know this will cause problems later on I installed the window in MBR but later on when I install linux in dual boot it cause problems So how I do convert mbr to gpt without loss of data and...
  6. new installation gpt not mbr

in Windows 10 Customization
    new installation gpt not mbr: I have assembled a new desktop computer that has eufi bios. My existing computer on which I am writing this question is a Legacy bios how do I get a win10 installed on the new one, as the "Media Creation Tool" copy won't work. Thanks Keith...
  7. MBR/GPT

MBR/GPT: How do I convert a MBR 7200 RPM HDD to GPT so I can install 64bit Win 10 Home? I have a 2014 HP All-in - One I had upgraded to an SSD - two years later it failed (about 3 weeks ago. I bought a new SSD - It was a 3D Nand(?) drive. It worked for 2 days. then started...
  8. MBR or GPT ????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT ????: hello, I had my 120GB SDD replaced by a 480GB one and made a clean install of win10 got an adapter to use the small SDD as an external backup disk I get a window demanding that I initialize the disk I do not have a clue what I should select...MBR or GPT ? *Huh I intend...
  9. GPT or MBR

GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...
  10. Windows 10 installed on MBR instead of GPT

Windows 10 installed on MBR instead of GPT: Hi there, I have a 4TB hard disk and I didn't realize I installed Windows 10 on a MBR which partitioned/divided my HDD to 2TB. I have lots of empty blu-ray disc that I can use. Is it possible for me to create a system image of Windows 10, format the hard disk and convert...