Windows 10: installing windows 10 over existing windows 7 OS

Discus and support installing windows 10 over existing windows 7 OS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, so im sure this is probably a rather banal question, but its my first time doing a clean install of an OS and id rather not leave anthing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Adam-Paynter, Sep 4, 2018.

1. installing windows 10 over existing windows 7 OS

Hi there,

so im sure this is probably a rather banal question, but its my first time doing a clean install of an OS and id rather not leave anthing to chance.

Yes, there are literally hundreds of web pages with instructions on how to do this, but i still prefer input direct from the experts before diving in.

This is my system as it stands

1. OS drive, Windows, 256Gb SSD

2. Games SSD, 500Gb SSD

3. Work Programs SSD, 500Gb SSd

4. Backup HDD, 1Tb

I've a store bought copy of windows 10 home 64bit. Drives 2, 3 & 4 all unplugged from the mobo.

My question pertains to installing the new OS on drive 1.

I understand that drives 2. and 3. will need to be formatted after the OS install and all the programs reinstalled.

Do i need to prepare drive 1. before booting the machine from the windows 10 installation disk to install the OS - aside from backing up any data obviously? By that, i mean do i need to format this drive prior to booting up from the W10 disk etc? Or does the installation process do all that automatically?

Any detailed instructions / tips for this would be greatly appreciated

:)

Adam-Paynter, Sep 4, 2018

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Sep 4, 2018
  3. Install windows 10, 7 or both on my desktop pc?!

so. my new desktop is here (the one in my specs list), and although i only got 1x 250gb ssd for now, im still unsure whether i should install windows 7 or 10... i have been using windows 7 until today, but im tempted to give windows 10 a go, to see how it works etc, since i have never tried it properly. on the other hand, im super comfy with windows 7. i know it quite well and im very satisfied with it. i know that im stuck with DX11 for windows 7, but im not the hardcore gamer or so, but i'd like to have the possibility to play future games too, but i can still do that with windows 7, can't i?

so. im leaning more towards installing windows 7 at first and then maybe install windows 10 as a secondary OS. how does that sound? would it work good? i have tried reading up on a recent thread in here about that, and that seemed to be working great for that person.

anything i should remember/keep in mind when/if i choose to have 2 OS on 1x hdd? obviously, i need to install them onto 2 different partitions, but how much space should i allocate for each OS on my 250gb ssd? that way, if i dislike windows 10 that much, i can simply continue with my windows 7 and just delete the window 10 partition.

thanks for any advises on this.

minstreless, Sep 4, 2018
  4. installing windows 10 over existing windows 7 OS

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Hi guys,
    Okay, so I wanted to know, I currently have a pc at home with a paid Windows 7 installed. I am getting a new computer either Friday or Monday with an SSD. Seeing as I want Windows 10 now and not 7 and I want it on my SSD how to I get to do this. I already downloaded a Windows 10 file in order to make one of my flash drives eligible for a windows 10 installation.

Will it be possible for me to just install windows 10 on the new SSD with this flash drive using my Windows 7 key, whilst my original windows 7 is still installed on the old Hard drive. And if it is how to I go about deleting my old OS from the HDD, seeing as I also want to use that HDD in my new pc, without formatting all the games I have on it currently?

Thank you in advance

MichaelDFF, Sep 4, 2018
Thema:

installing windows 10 over existing windows 7 OS

1. installing windows 10 over existing windows 7 OS - Similar Threads - installing existing

2. Windows Defender installing non-existent updates with date and time issues.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender installing non-existent updates with date and time issues.: Windows antivirus defender is acting weird, it is installing updates which are not exactly up-to-date. The updates it is installing are from the future, for example the current year is 2024 and defender will install an update created in 2025 or 2039. Not only this but the pc...
  3. Windows Defender installing non-existent updates with date and time issues.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender installing non-existent updates with date and time issues.: Windows antivirus defender is acting weird, it is installing updates which are not exactly up-to-date. The updates it is installing are from the future, for example the current year is 2024 and defender will install an update created in 2025 or 2039. Not only this but the pc...
  4. Windows Defender installing non-existent updates with date and time issues.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD: Also the button for new volume is greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-device-which-does-not-exist-was-specified-while/c57a9fb0-e122-485f-824a-1e1ff798e256
  6. A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD

A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD: Also the button for new volume is greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-device-which-does-not-exist-was-specified-while/c57a9fb0-e122-485f-824a-1e1ff798e256
  7. A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. How do you fix the "The specified service does not exist as an installed service" diskpart...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you fix the "The specified service does not exist as an installed service" diskpart...: I'm trying to use "diskpart" from the command prompt but it doesn't even work. Instead, I get thrown this error:And just to make sure, I did go and check the Event Viewer, but nothing appears when doing so.If you want information on the computer I'm using, it's a Dell...
  9. How do you fix the "The specified service does not exist as an installed service" diskpart...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do you fix the "The specified service does not exist as an installed service" diskpart...: I'm trying to use "diskpart" from the command prompt but it doesn't even work. Instead, I get thrown this error:And just to make sure, I did go and check the Event Viewer, but nothing appears when doing so.If you want information on the computer I'm using, it's a Dell...
  10. How do you fix the "The specified service does not exist as an installed service" diskpart...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how install windows 10 to existing with windows 7

2. installing windows 10 to existing windows 7 systems