Windows 10: Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk.

Discus and support Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A few weeks ago, I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and created a Windows 10 Recovery disk and used it to do a clean install of my W10 upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JJG10, Mar 11, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk.

A few weeks ago, I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and created a Windows 10 Recovery disk and used it to do
    a clean install of my W10 upgraded installation on my desktop. It went well.

Now I find I would like to put W10 on my Win 7 Acer laptop and plan to remove the existing hdd and replace it with a new one on which I will install W10. Can I use the existing W10 Recovery disk to do that installation? Assuming I can, will I run into an activation problem because I don't have a product key? If so, how do I get a product key?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Mar 11, 2017

2. How to re install Windows 10 if required on reformatted HDD or new HDD.

Suppose I need to reinstall Windows 10 after one or two years from now or I install a new hard disk?

Windows 10 is registered to the device, not your hard disk. Just install a new hard disk and reinstall Windows 10 and it will reactivate.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 11, 2017
  3. Will i get a new 25 digit product code when i update to 10

Suppose I need to reinstall Windows 10 after one or two years from now or I install a new hard disk?

Windows 10 is registered to the device, not your hard disk. Just install a new hard disk and reinstall Windows 10 and it will reactivate.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 11, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Being a different PC by rights you need to buy windows 10 to get a key and for it to activate

Samuria, Mar 11, 2017
  5. AddRAM Win User
    I believe he can use his Windows 7 key during the install and it`ll activate 10.

Others can comment on that.

AddRAM, Mar 11, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    On your Acer Windows 7 laptop, insert the USB flash drive you created with the Media Creation Tool (with Windows 7 running, just like you were going to copy files to or from it). Run setup.exe from it. It will upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10, establish the digital license for Windows 10 on Microsoft Activation servers and then you can clean install Windows 10 to that laptop later if you want.

NavyLCDR, Mar 11, 2017
  7. JJG10 Win User
    Gosh, that is too easy. Thank you very much.

JJG10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk. - Similar Threads - Installing Hard Disk

2. Replacing New Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing New Hard Disk: Hello,If I restore a backup image of the system (which contains windows 10 and office) to a brand new disk (same computer), do I have to re-license /re-validate the windows and office ?Answers will be appreciated.ThanksWidows 10, 20H2 x64, 19042.1165 183706
  3. Installing a new hard disk drive in windows 10 due to a failing one.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installing a new hard disk drive in windows 10 due to a failing one.: So I got a boot usb drive inserted my new drive took out both old ones as I had a 100/c drive usage in my old cpu. Then I turned on the computer and got thru a few prompts then stated that my 1 tb hdd had 0mb and that my hard disk drive cannot be installed with windows 10....
  4. windows activation after new hard disk installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows activation after new hard disk installation: i had replaced and installed a new hard disk after the old one crashed, now there appears to be a message after logging in the system " ypur windows licence will expire soon". i had downloaded a copy from microsoft and had subsequently logged into the microsoft account so...
  5. Transferring windows 10 to new hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring windows 10 to new hard disk: My wife uses a laptop with 32MB emmc for bootdisk. I installed a 256MB ssd because windows 10 needs additional room to be able to update. How do I transfer Windows 10 to the SSD to boot from the SSD. The recovery partition on the emmc was deleted. Is there a way to...
  6. Activating Win 10 on new hard disk

Activating Win 10 on new hard disk: Hi, So I have a laptop purchased 5 yrs ago that came with Win 8. I upgraded it to Win 10. The digital license is linked to my Microsoft account. My HDD is failing now, so I'll be buying a new SSD and would like to install the Windows on it. How can I proceed to install...
  7. New Hard Disk Format, Cannot Properly Install Windows 10

New Hard Disk Format, Cannot Properly Install Windows 10: Hey People of the Forums. I recently had a Hard Drive Issue which was resolved by going into the BIOS and tweaking some settings but after that, I had to boot Windows 10 on a CD/ROM device. And I come to see legitimately all settings cannot even be changed, but last I...
  8. Reuse my hard disk again to install new windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Reuse my hard disk again to install new windows 10: Hi, I have a hard disk with windows 10, this windows 10 already damaged and now I need to use this hard disk again in my laptop. Do I need to format the C drive in this hard disk? or just ignore the formatting and install windows 10 again? Thanks....
  9. New Hard drive-Install OS without disk

New Hard drive-Install OS without disk: My husband's laptop needed a new hard drive. We bought the laptop refurbished and it didn't come with the Windows 10 disks. We do not have a back up copy. What can I do to reinstall Windows 10? Thanks....
  10. Install Windows 8.1. on new hard disk before upgrading to Windows 10?

Install Windows 8.1. on new hard disk before upgrading to Windows 10?: I have a laptop that came with Windows 8.1. The hard drive failed and has been replaced with a new hard drive. If I want to install Windows 10 on this laptop, do I first need to install Windows 8.1. and then perform the upgrade to Windows 10, or can I just install Windows 10?...