Windows 10: Installing Windows 10 x86 on a .vhd, 0xC0000359 when trying to boot

Discus and support Installing Windows 10 x86 on a .vhd, 0xC0000359 when trying to boot in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; My host OS is Windows 10 Pro 1703 x64 (updating to 1710 as soon as released) on UEFI. I created a blank .vhd file and initialized it (yes, I did use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Zacchi4k, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Zacchi4k Win User

Installing Windows 10 x86 on a .vhd, 0xC0000359 when trying to boot

My host OS is Windows 10 Pro 1703 x64 (updating to 1710 as soon as released) on UEFI.
    I created a blank .vhd file and initialized it (yes, I did use GPT), and I used the Windows AIK to install Windows 10 Pro 1703 x86 on it, and it shows in the boot menu, but when I try to boot from it, I get this:

Installing Windows 10 x86 on a .vhd, 0xC0000359 when trying to boot [​IMG]

I searched online and one website said that you can't boot x86 UEFI OSes on an x64 UEFI system. Other said it could be Secure Boot, but that's disabled on my PC.

So, is there any way to make this work or is it really impossible?

:)

Zacchi4k, Oct 15, 2017
  2. MardAZ Win User

Windows 10 VHD Native Boot Installation--Officially Supported?

Thank you for your reply. It is not so much that I require it, but that I really like the flexibility that it allows. If I have a new piece of software that I want to test, I can simply create a new VHD boot instance and try it out, and then have the possibility
    of discarding that boot instance.

I know that VHD boot works on Windows 10, and have used it, but after being burned when trying to upgrade from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 and then from Windows 8.1 to 10 (neither allowed on a VHD boot installation), I am wondering what will the future hold for Windows
    10 "upgrades." By a Windows 10 upgrade, I am referring to that which will be deferred by checking "defer upgrades" in Windows 10 Updates Advanced Options for Windows 10 Professional.

When you say, "I don't think Microsoft have made a statement regarding the supportability of Windows 10 within a VHD boot environment." that is what troubles me. For example, see here:

Compare Windows 10 Editions | Windows for Business

When microsoft compared the features of Windows 8 (or 8.1) core vs pro, one of the items that differed between the two was VHD boot. For example, see here: http://bit.ly/1LkNMup

Makes me wonder if Microsoft will leave us in the lurch when it comes time to apply a feature upgrade to Windows 10 (as opposed to a security update).

MardAZ, Oct 15, 2017
  3. MardAZ Win User
    Windows 10 VHD Native Boot Installation--Officially Supported?

Is booting Windows 10 from a vhd (or vhdx) file officially supported by Microsoft? I know there were lots of articles about running the Windows 10 technical preview by using Boot From VHD, but I have been unable to find a listing of Windows 10 features
    that shows that it officially supports this feature. It is well-known that a vhd-booted Windows 8.1 installation cannot be upgraded directly to Windows 10 (as was also true when upgrading from 8 to 8.1). Does anybody know the "status" of VHD Native Boot
    going forward?

MardAZ, Oct 15, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

It is impossible to boot 32bit uefi on a 64bit PC without special boot loaders (some tablets can boot 32bit uefi but conversely cannot boot 64bit uefi.

You can only install 32bit on a 64bit as legacy bios.

It is not normally possible to dual boot 32bit bios and 64bit uefi as most PCs need to be in one state or the other. I do not know of any easy way to do this, other than having two physical separate installations and flip flopping between OS by selecting from bios.

The simplest option is to install the 32bit as MBR in a virtual machine.

The next simplest optical n would be to reinstall the 64bit OS as legacy bios/MBR, and then install the 32bit OS as a dual boot configuration (even in a vhd).

cereberus, Oct 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Installing Windows 10 x86 on a .vhd, 0xC0000359 when trying to boot - Similar Threads - Installing x86 vhd

2. VHD BOOT INITIALIZATION FAILED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VHD BOOT INITIALIZATION FAILED: Hello, I have a problem with booting in windows, I tried to do dual boot on windows 8.1 and windows 11 and when I tried to enter windows 8.1 it gave me a crash and it is blocked in Preparing Automatic Repair, that is, it does not move, it does not give me the menu to select...
  3. Stuck on boot when trying to install windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stuck on boot when trying to install windows 10: alright so i built my first computer literally the first one and finally got it to work, and i was installing windows, and there was the point where i had to choose either my ssd or hdd to install windows and i didnt know which one was which, so i unplugged my hdd and it...
  4. Windows 10 not booting up after installing android x86

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 not booting up after installing android x86: Hey when i tried to boot my desktop with lineage os 14.1 it booted up.i installes that os on 100 gb partition that i created.but right now i want to use windows 10 but i am not able to.anyone please help me...
  5. Windows 10 not booting up after installing android x86

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 not booting up after installing android x86: Hey when i tried to boot my desktop with lineage os 14.1 it booted up.i installes that os on 100 gb partition that i created.but right now i want to use windows 10 but i am not able to.anyone please help me...
  6. \windows\system32\boot\winload.efi status: 0xc0000359 solution

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    \windows\system32\boot\winload.efi status: 0xc0000359 solution: I just recently got my hand on a refurbished computer that can with Windows 10 home. Everything was going fine, I was doing my usual stuff along with my art commissions when I get a notification from the computer telling me that I needed to restart my computer. I restarted it...
  7. 0xc0000359

0xc0000359: Yeasterday my ntb had just logo when i wanted start it. I tried install win 10 but doesnt work. Just have this mistake on screen. Win 10 from usb normally works on other pc but on my not. Is any option how can i fix it? [IMG]...
  8. Fun trying to convert an existing install to a vhd!

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Fun trying to convert an existing install to a vhd!: This is not specifically windows 10 but I thought it might be of interest. I currently have dual boot 10 home and 10 pro, and it leaves the partitions decidely non-optimal. I decided I would create a virtual hard disk of the Home drive partition and delete the home...
  9. How to dual boot to x86 OS when Windows 10 is already installed?

How to dual boot to x86 OS when Windows 10 is already installed?: I have a Acer Aspire XC-603G desktop upgraded to Windows 10 64bit Home (no Hyper-V). I want to run 16 bit software that is incompatible. I would like to dual boot with Vista x86 (gave away my XP). From what I understand, you must load the older version first due to Windows...
  10. Fail to boot: winload.efi missing; error 0xc0000359

Fail to boot: winload.efi missing; error 0xc0000359: I upgraded ok with the update and successfully activated windows 10. I downloaded both 32bit and 64bit to usb using media creation tool as I wanted to clean install Windows 10 64bit on my 64bit compatible machine although am currently running 32bit windows 7 as that's what I...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. trying to install windows 10 status 0xc0000359 acer

2. vhd 0xc0000359