Windows 10: Installing windows from a usb on SSD but no AHCI setting and keeps going back to the...

Discus and support Installing windows from a usb on SSD but no AHCI setting and keeps going back to the... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi microsoft community, Let me first tell you how disesparate i am to install a windows on my new ssd. Oh and I speak french so im sorry if my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by William&SP, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Installing windows from a usb on SSD but no AHCI setting and keeps going back to the...

Hi microsoft community,

Let me first tell you how disesparate i am to install a windows on my new ssd. Oh and I speak french so im sorry if my grammar isn’t the best.

So first of all, let me give you the context. So I have a hd that has everything on it from windows install to games,etc. and i figured that to improve my pc’s performance i should have a ssd as my boot drive. So I prepared everything to make a fresh install on the ssd and keep only the non-windows files on my hd. I have a usb boot drive prepared and all.

So there I go trying to install windows on my ssd hd unplugged and everything is fine until it reboots and gets back to the install page. I tried to remove the usb after it rebooted, but that didn’t work neither. When i remove it, it comes back to bios. I tried booting on the ssd after it reboots and it throws me back in the bios.

So i read a bit and I found out that for a SSD to work properly, it needs to be on AHCI setting. But in the asus 3016 x64 bios version theres no such thing as sata mode. I tried reinstalling the drivers and all and nothing works.

So there i am solutionless. So if you have and solution to give me im willing to try anything.

Thank you, Will.

:)

William&SP, Feb 2, 2020
  2. slsmphys Win User

Cannot install Windows 10 on SSD using AHCI

I'm having some major problems with this and have tried all the possible solutions that I have found in various forums.

I am trying to install Windows 10 on a new SSD (Crucial BX100), but it is not detected by the Windows installer when the BIOS is set to AHCI. If I change the BIOS setting to IDE, the Windows 10 installer can see the SSD and install windows to it. Just to
    be clear, the BIOS detects the SSD when set to IDE and AHCI - It is only the Windows 10 installer that cannot detect it.

As an aside I decided to take a backward step and install Windows 7 and with the BIOS set to AHCI (not IDE), the Windows Installer can see the SSD and install Windows 7 without any issue. I then thought that I could run the Windows 10 upgrade and install
    it that way, but as soon as the PC restarts after Windows 10 installs - I get a blue screen telling me that the BOOT DISC IS INACCESSIBLE - On restart, the disc/boot-sector has been corrupted and requires reformatting.

From my web research, Windows 10 uses a different AHCI driver to Windows 7 and this must clearly be a major culprit in the problem. Is there any way to install the Win 7 driver and override Win 10 driver installation?

I need to install Windows 10 on this SSD and cannot leave the BIOS on IDE (because the SSD seems to be running slower than a conventional rotating disc drive), so switching to AHCI is a must.

As said above, I have tried many of the possible solutions available on the web such as:

1. Installing as IDE and using safe mode to switch to AHCI (doesn't work, because I still get the blue screen before safe mode boots up).

2. I've tried the registry hacks

3. I've tried upgrading from Windows 7

There's got to be a way, so if anybody has found a solution please let me know.

slsmphys, Feb 2, 2020
  3. Camera Win User
    AHCI Clean install windows 10 onto new SSD drive

Thanks for quick answer.

My BIOS is currently set to AHCI on the SATA ports for existing spinning disks. I will be taking these out and installing to a single, brand new SSD drive. Data disks will be reinstalled after Windows.

I have put the SATA drivers - ASMEDIA V3.1.6.0 and Marvell V1.20.1.1047 onto a separate USB stick to that which I will boot and install from.

If I read you correctly, I should be able to leave the BIOS as it is set now (AHCI) and by taking the custom install option I will get the chance to load these drivers and ensure AHCI mode is used for the new W10 installation and the new SSD drive.

Do I also need to install Intel Rapid Storage driver during the install process - there is none listed for W10 but a version (12.8.0.1016 is listed for W8)

Dave

Camera, Feb 2, 2020
  4. Rudy Mas Win User

Installing windows from a usb on SSD but no AHCI setting and keeps going back to the...

AHCI vs regular Native IDE

If you want to change IDE to AHCI in windows 10, without a clean install, do the following steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Restart PC and go into you BIOS -> Set IDE to AHCI
    • Windows 10 will start if Safe Mode
    • Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Restart and Windows 10 should load with AHCI enabled now

Until now, I had a 100% succes rate with this, but in the case Windows 10 wouldn't start, go back into your BIOS and set AHCI to IDE.

Rudy Mas, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

Installing windows from a usb on SSD but no AHCI setting and keeps going back to the...

1. Installing windows from a usb on SSD but no AHCI setting and keeps going back to the... - Similar Threads - Installing usb SSD

2. Changing to AHCI for SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing to AHCI for SSD: So im trying to change to AHCI mode for my ssd and for some reason HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ storahci\ StartOverrideis not showing up in my registry. Is that a bad thing? what should i do about this?...
  3. Changing to AHCI for SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing to AHCI for SSD: So im trying to change to AHCI mode for my ssd and for some reason HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ storahci\ StartOverrideis not showing up in my registry. Is that a bad thing? what should i do about this?...
  4. Changing to AHCI for SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Backup to USB keeps defaulting back to previous settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup to USB keeps defaulting back to previous settings: I have a 6-month-old HP laptop and have had endless problems getting it to permanently accept my backup settings. I want to save only my documents folder, and I want it saved onto a USB drive. None of the settings stick. My only thought is the system is designed to prefer...
  6. Installing Windows 10 on AHCI enabled SSD directly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 on AHCI enabled SSD directly: Hi Microsoft Community. I'm having a hard time as to why I cannot install my Windows 10 directly when i have enabled AHCI on my BIOS. Is there anyway we can get through or around that? I've seen some posts regarding that issue but the fact that it goes through coding on...
  7. Canada Windows 10 Cortana Update- Install keeps going back to setting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Canada Windows 10 Cortana Update- Install keeps going back to setting: Good morning - I recently installed the Canada Windows 10 Cortana update...At the lower left of the screen is the standard "I'm Cortana. Ask me Anything" but when I click on it, I get taken back to "Welcome back...lets pickup where you left off' and it seems to want to play...
  8. AHCI setting in BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AHCI setting in BIOS: I have a MB that lets me change the SATA Type. The options are: Native IDE RAID AHCI It is set to Native IDE now. I don’t want to run a raid configuration. What is AHCI. What does it do? Is there an advantage in switching to AHCI? Thanks Sven 27903
  9. Clone HDD to SSD (switch from RAID to AHCI)

Clone HDD to SSD (switch from RAID to AHCI): Hi there, When the time came to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 I decided to run the upgrade then shortly afterwards, to alleviate some outstanding issues, I went ahead and did a fresh install to 10. At the time I had a spare 60Gb SSD going unused so I decided to attempt to...
  10. SSD not working in AHCI after Windows 10 install

SSD not working in AHCI after Windows 10 install: My situation is the following:I had a LGA 775 Mobo pc,and one of my father's collegues was upgrading his pc so he gave us his old computer system,i found out that his motherboard had better functions and is better overall,motherboard is gigabyte ga-ep35-DS3L,i installed it in...