Windows 10: Installing windows from USB

Discus and support Installing windows from USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, I am trying to install windows 10 from usb stick to ASUS E402A laptop (that is using emmc memory). I have 3 different usb sticks, one is official... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by aaromäkinen, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Installing windows from USB

Hey,
    I am trying to install windows 10 from usb stick to ASUS E402A laptop (that is using emmc memory).

I have 3 different usb sticks, one is official windows, one is kingston datatraveller ,and one is some random usb 2.x stick. Windows iso file i generated from windows media creation tool and using rufus mounted it on sticks. both non-windows official sticks has also been done by that windows media creation tool with same results

I have tried of course first using without legacy bios so using UEFI (GPT partition, FAT-32 and non CSM also tried with and without safe boot and w/wo fast boot). Windows own stick isn't recognized at all (have tried both usb slots), kingston stick is recognized by UEFI but can't be booted to (have tried holding esc and selecting explicitly "UEFI:Kingston bla bla bla") and the last stick is going so far and freezing the bios or freezing the computer in asus logo.

Also in UEFI mode just for the sake of testing, MBR and NFST types are tested (should not work I know)

Then in legacy mode/BIOS (CSM enabled and w/wo safe boot, w/wo fast boot) using now again MBR and NFST all sticks boot to windows installation media but then windows can't be installed to the drive. Except the odd stick that keeps on freezing the computer(usb stick works otherwise tho)

I have tried diskpart and clean and converting to MBR and making it primary, still the error message remains: "Windows Cannot Be Installed to This Disk. This Computer's Hardware May not Support Booting to This Disk."

Apparentely the laptop uses 32 bit since when trying to install the 64 bit windows it will immidiately crash "memory_management"

I checked the latest bios in asus website and it turns out I have the latest one. Also it should not be any other bios setting (there are not a lot) since I have also tried restoring defaults

Also windows media creation tool to create bootable usb-stick was tested with the same results.

Memory diagnostic is done and there should be no hardware issues since the laptop was fine just before i tried to install windows again on it.

Is there any more suggestions what to do from now?

:)

aaromäkinen, Nov 13, 2018
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Nov 13, 2018
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Nov 13, 2018
  4. 7.62 Win User

Installing windows from USB

Installing Windows 7 via USB flash drive!

USB drive doesnt show up, even after a format through windows (XP)

Any suggestions?

Thema:

Installing windows from USB

1. Installing windows from USB - Similar Threads - Installing USB

2. Can USB autorun be enabled on Windows without installing third-party software? Tried...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can USB autorun be enabled on Windows without installing third-party software? Tried...: Title: "USB Autorun Not Working Without Installation of Third-Party Software"Description: Hi everyone,I'm encountering an issue with USB autorun on my Windows computer. I have a specific file on a USB drive that I want to automatically open when I plug in the drive. However,...
  3. Can USB autorun be enabled on Windows without installing third-party software? Tried...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can USB autorun be enabled on Windows without installing third-party software? Tried...: Title: "USB Autorun Not Working Without Installation of Third-Party Software"Description: Hi everyone,I'm encountering an issue with USB autorun on my Windows computer. I have a specific file on a USB drive that I want to automatically open when I plug in the drive. However,...
  4. How can I create a Windows 10 bootable USB installer on Mac?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I create a Windows 10 bootable USB installer on Mac?: Hey everyone! I'm currently facing a bit of a challenge and could really use some guidance. I've recently needed to create a Windows 10 bootable USB installer, but there's a twist—I need to do it from my Mac. I understand that the process might be a bit different compared to...
  5. How can I create a Windows 10 bootable USB installer on Mac?

How can I create a Windows 10 bootable USB installer on Mac?: Hey everyone! I'm currently facing a bit of a challenge and could really use some guidance. I've recently needed to create a Windows 10 bootable USB installer, but there's a twist—I need to do it from my Mac. I understand that the process might be a bit different compared to...
  6. How can I create a Windows 10 bootable USB installer on Mac?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. I can not install USB printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can not install USB printer: Hello, Please help.I own Microsoft Surface ProX. I use windows 11 pro.I can not install my USB printers. One is Canon LBP600 and the other is HP LaserJetCP1025 color.When I try to install the drivers, I can choose the port and see the printer. But unfortunately, I can not...
  8. I can not install USB printer

I can not install USB printer: Hello, Please help.I own Microsoft Surface ProX. I use windows 11 pro.I can not install my USB printers. One is Canon LBP600 and the other is HP LaserJetCP1025 color.When I try to install the drivers, I can choose the port and see the printer. But unfortunately, I can not...
  9. Windows 10 pro keeps installing the same usb device driver for my 360 usb game controller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 pro keeps installing the same usb device driver for my 360 usb game controller: Windows 10 Pro keeps installing the same USB device driver for my 360 USB game controller and when this happens, the Netgear A6210 WIFI USB driver disconnects and crashes the network driver, The device manager shows that Windows could not load the device driver because it...
  10. Windows 10 pro keeps installing the same usb device driver for my 360 usb game controller

Windows 10 pro keeps installing the same usb device driver for my 360 usb game controller: Windows 10 Pro keeps installing the same USB device driver for my 360 USB game controller and when this happens, the Netgear A6210 WIFI USB driver disconnects and crashes the network driver, The device manager shows that Windows could not load the device driver because it...