Windows 10: Installing windows in new SSD drive and moving old HDD in place of optical drive

Discus and support Installing windows in new SSD drive and moving old HDD in place of optical drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In my laptop Lenevo ideapad 320 14ikb, there is a 2.5 inch 1tb HDD. But it doesn't have any SSD slot. So, I decided to install a sata SSD in place of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ¹¢⅜, Jun 9, 2021.

1. ¹¢⅜ Win User

Installing windows in new SSD drive and moving old HDD in place of optical drive

In my laptop Lenevo ideapad 320 14ikb, there is a 2.5 inch 1tb HDD. But it doesn't have any SSD slot. So, I decided to install a sata SSD in place of HDD and move the HDD in the CD/DVD drive using a caddy. Now, I want to setup new clean windows in the SSD No cloning. Most importantly, how to make sure that windows explorer can read HDD from optical drive After that I want to convert the old C drive of the HDD to an ordinary data drive. Is there anyway to extract work history/data of old apps before formatting the C drive?? Like what files I downloaded using IDM, what files I worked on Ope

:)

¹¢⅜, Jun 9, 2021

2. Installing old data drive in new computer

My current laptop has two SSD drives (both SATA interface). The C: drive for operating system and programs and a D: drive for all my data.

In a few days, I'll be receiving my new HP laptop. It comes with an M2 SSD (512GB) and a 1TB HDD (SATA interface).

I plan on using the new M2 drive for operating system and programs.

I want to remove the new 1TB hard drive and replace it with the 2TB SSD (SATA) that contains all my data from my old laptop.

My concern is that I've moved my "documents" folder from C: to D:. If I power up my new laptop, I'm afraid Windows 10 will get confused by having the documents folder (and its subfolders) in two places.

Should I power up my new computer, with new drives in place, and move my documents folder to the new HDD and also set up my current D: drive folder structure on the new drive, minus the actual data.

Then power down the computer and replace the new HDD with my 2TB SSD?

Is this the simplest way to do this or is there a better method?

Thanks so much for your help and time!

theplanckster, Jun 9, 2021
  3. Optical drive shows blue question mark and become non responsive

On a HP 650 Probook after migration from a native HDD to a Samsung SSD 850 Pro the DVD drive becomes non functional:
    The optical drive works once in Windows 10 and only once, followed by a non recoverable failure state.

In Windows 10 the Optical drive letter shows a blue question mark and the eject button of the optical drive remains non responsive, even when starting up the PC.

Reverting back to the original native HDD (swapping the Samsung SSD to the original HDD), makes the optical drive functional again.

Any idea how to fix the issue of the non recognised Optical drive in Windows 10 when an Samsung SSD is installed on the HP 650 Probook?

Troubleshooting suggestions from HP support were applied without success (e.g. registry key removal of Lower and Upperfilters on registry key
    4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

And several other attempts listed in the following support article: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03370738

TontonMike, Jun 9, 2021
  4. Joacchim Win User

Installing windows in new SSD drive and moving old HDD in place of optical drive

Move data drive from old computer into new

I am running a 2007 vintage self-built PC with a separate data drive (1tb hdd) and OS/program drive (SSD). I want to move the data hdd into a new computer I've built. Is it just as simple as unplugging/ dismounting from old and installing in new? Any advice
    is appreciated, TIA.

Joacchim, Jun 9, 2021
Thema:

1. Installing windows in new SSD drive and moving old HDD in place of optical drive - Similar Threads - Installing SSD drive

2. Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive: Hello, I'm using an HP Elitebook 840 G3, and my SSD has been very slow lately. My PC takes about a minute and a half to boot, and it started to lag, so I bought a new drive that is an HDD, and I want to move everything from the SSD to it, including users folder and the other...
  3. Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive: Hello, I'm using an HP Elitebook 840 G3, and my SSD has been very slow lately. My PC takes about a minute and a half to boot, and it started to lag, so I bought a new drive that is an HDD, and I want to move everything from the SSD to it, including users folder and the other...
  4. Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to change drive letter C: on an old hdd to a new ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change drive letter C: on an old hdd to a new ssd: Hello. I have an old Lenovo B50-30 All-in-One desktop. The 1 TB SATA hdd had become very slow, so I removed the CD drive and installed a 238 GB Samsung SATA ssd. My old hdd has two partitions, a 256 GB C: with Windows 10 and larger non-bootable D: used to store data. I used a...
  6. Moving OS to a new SSD Activation if old drive is disconnected

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving OS to a new SSD Activation if old drive is disconnected: According to the following post, I should be able to use the media creation tool and skip activation and get a newly activated license on a different drive:...
  7. Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive.: I have an older gaming PC to which I added a 240GB SSD and did a fresh install of Windows 10 20H2. The old, now secondary, HDD is a 1TB drive that served as my OS drive previously. Is there a way to move my old "Desktop" to the new SSD so that when I launch Windows I will see...
  8. replacing optical drive with HDD - Desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    replacing optical drive with HDD - Desktop: W10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041. 329) - Desktop Computer BACKGROUND INFORMATION: My motherboard only has 3x drive connection points: Last year I Installed 500 GB SSD as Boot Drive = 1 connection point Already installed Internal HDD (still in use) = 2 connection point...
  9. new install optical drive not seen

new install optical drive not seen: help - optical drive not seen after clean install Win 10 / 64 pro up to date https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-install-optical-drive-not-seen/9cbe76d1-2c1d-4e46-8b7a-8b4207811cc8
  10. Optical drive will not install

Optical drive will not install: Toshiba Satellite laptop. New problem in the last few days. Windows 10 version 1809. Trying to send backup data to a flash drive, I noticed that the flash drive was labeled as 'D' instead of 'E' . Went to device manager, cd/dvd drive and saw this error for device status....