Windows 10: installing windows on a non-bootable drive

Discus and support installing windows on a non-bootable drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; there are some very nice enterprise PCI-E SSD drives ( for example Micron ) that have only one problem - they are not bootable so i was wondering -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by g1981c, Aug 21, 2017.

1. g1981c Win User

installing windows on a non-bootable drive

there are some very nice enterprise PCI-E SSD drives ( for example Micron ) that have only one problem - they are not bootable

so i was wondering - is it possible to put the boot partition on a small bootable SSD ( say 16 gb Intel Optane, which i'm not sure is bootable though ) and then the actual system on say a 800 GB micron PCI-E HHHL SSD ?

edit: or actually since this is a dual 7 / 10 boot but the 7 is only for backup perhaps first install 7 on a regular 250 GB m.2 drive then plug in that Micron HHHL drive and install 10 on it while the boot partition will remain on the 7 drive this way it would boot from the M.2 but run from the non-bootable HHHL drive ???

am i insane ?

:)

g1981c, Aug 21, 2017
  2. skip3119 Win User

Can a non-bootable Win 10 ISO DVD do a clean install?

My computer has been upgraded to Windows 10 and activated.

I have a non-bootable DVD Windows 10 ISO.

Is it possible to do a clean install with that non-bootable disk?

*** Heard imgburn can create a bootable DVD ISO, but after downloading then found it is infected,

and decided not to install it.

skip3119, Aug 21, 2017
  3. marko0718 Win User
    Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056892) error (0x800705b4)

I ended up with a non bootable pc because of this update. To fix it I downloaded Windows 10 ISO and Rufus created bootable media on a USB and was able to clean install windows 10 on the non bootable pc. It installed all updates and now runs better than
    ever. I will also stay away from 3rd party freeware in the future.

marko0718, Aug 21, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Debatable.

I'd use a 32GB or larger SSD drive for C:/boot/system/Windows drive then use one of the larger drives for data storage and installing programs on, about like most 32GB Tablets can do with a 64GB or larger MicroSDXC memory card for the data drive.

Berton, Aug 21, 2017
  5. g1981c Win User
    storage is on a separate 3.5" drive.

i don't want to put windows on a slow drive. i want windows and program files on the same fast drive ( at least 500 GB )
    however the drive in question:

Micron 9100 - solid state drive - 800 GB - PCI Express 3.0 (NVMe) - MTFDHAX800MCE-1AN1ZABYY - Solid State Drives (SSDs) - CDW.com
    !

says the following in the manual:

"The 9100 is not intended to be a bootable device. Boot functionality is not validated byMicron, and any use in this manner is done at the user's own risk. Please visit Micron.comto find other SSD products that are recommended for boot."

so i'm wondering if there is a workaround ? what exactly makes it not bootable ? could i make it bootable by putting MBR on another small drive ? or does windows have to already be running in order for the computer ot see this drive because it relies on windows to load the driver for the controller or something ?

g1981c, Aug 21, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    What makes it bootable or not is the UEFI firmware ability to read and write from the drive without needing any additional drivers to do so during the initial boot stages.

NavyLCDR, Aug 21, 2017
  7. g1981c Win User
    in that case i guess the location of MBR partition would not make any difference ...

g1981c, Aug 21, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

I'm of the "old school" of building computers where the MBR resided on each HDD with at least one partition on it.
    Master boot record - Wikipedia
    As mentioned in that article a non-partitioned drive is a floppy, optical, Zip drive.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. installing windows on a non-bootable drive - Similar Threads - installing non bootable

2. USB bootable drive not installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB bootable drive not installing windows 10: Trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 with USB bootable onto new SSD.When the PC starts it loads to black screen with blinking cursor to the windows logo and runs an infinite loop back to the beginning of bios.I have tried the USB bootable with my SSD on another PC and...
  3. USB bootable drive not installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB bootable drive not installing windows 10: Trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 with USB bootable onto new SSD.When the PC starts it loads to black screen with blinking cursor to the windows logo and runs an infinite loop back to the beginning of bios.I have tried the USB bootable with my SSD on another PC and...
  4. USB bootable drive not installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Repair offline non bootable windows 10

Repair offline non bootable windows 10: While trying to get Windows 19 1809 to upgrade to 20H2, I ran Malwarebytes and quarantined reported pups. I can't remember if it ever rebooted after the quarantine or not. Anyway, I am now trying to use DISM to repair this installation offline, but I can't find a Windows 10...
  6. Install Win10 on a non-bootable NVME SSD

Install Win10 on a non-bootable NVME SSD: Hi, I want to install Win10 on a system with a NVME SSD, but the BIOS does not recognize the drive as a bootable device. I have already done this with Linux, just put the EFI Partition and the /boot mount point on the HDD and the root / and /home folder is on the NVME...
  7. System image backup from non-bootable drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System image backup from non-bootable drive: My computer was recently rendered non-bootable when I recently attempted the Windows update to 2004. After much googling, many attempts, and a help forum thread, I'm pretty much resigned to having to do a clean install of Windows to restore the computer. But before I do...
  8. bootable drive

bootable drive: My computer will not boot getting "{no bootable drive found" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bootable-drive/5b6a0724-e6ae-4921-a744-8271d38634d2
  9. How to troubleshoot a non-bootable system

in Windows 10 Support
    How to troubleshoot a non-bootable system: The machine is MSI Titan GT80 SLI Skylake edition running latest-greatest Windows 10. I have 2 SSDs in the machine, both identical 1TB PCIe. The original SSD and the one I want restored does not boot. I get the spinning wheel so the disk is getting hit during the boot...
  10. Windows 10 Installation on Non-bootable device

Windows 10 Installation on Non-bootable device: Hello, I had a situation where my Hard Drive got completely wiped out. I got my personal data recovered on it. Now, I have a Hard Drive that contains all my data but there is no OS loaded on it. I was previously using Windows 10 and would want to install the same again....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install windows on non-bootable ssd