Windows 10: Installing Windows plan for disaster recovery

Discus and support Installing Windows plan for disaster recovery in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to create a disaster recovery plan for installing Windows to my laptop if I were to to start from scratch. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fortitude, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Fortitude Win User

Installing Windows plan for disaster recovery

I'm trying to create a disaster recovery plan for installing Windows to my laptop if I were to to start from scratch.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron and I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro v.2004.
    I have three accounts on my laptop, one of them is a Windows Administrator account, the other one is a local administrator and the third one is a standard user account.
    In practice I do all my work with the standard user account and only access the local administrator account if elevated access rights are required, or to do any Dell driver etc. updates.

I would like to preserve or create again the three accounts after the new installation of Windows.
    My data can be backed up to at least three different media (at least two local and one remote backup in the cloud).
    I can also make an image backup of C drive using Macrium Reflect.
    My laptop came with Windows Home installed on it, but I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro using account information from my previous PC which was scrapped. Therefore the pre-installed recovery or other data from Dell which I suppose must be hidden somewhere on my laptop is probably of no use in re-installing Windows 10 Pro, Dell utilities, drivers etc..

Concerns:

1. As I wrote above, I would like to preserve or create again the three Windows accounts. Note that only the standard user account has useful data for me. The others are like "shell" accounts and I wouldn't mind them being created as "blank" accounts.

2. I would like to change the existing user name for each of these accounts, because I don't like the name shown in the path to each one's application files and settings. Will I be able to do that after installing Windows, for example by creating them, but changing the user name which apparently is automatically created by Windows each time?

3. Am I going to have to go through each re-installed program and make suitable configuration changes as my existing ones will be lost? I suppose there is no shortcut to this.

4. A major fear that I have is not being able to find the Dell-specific software and drivers that I would need for my laptop. I know that the Dell Support website can show me details about my particular system based on the product ID, but these are based on the original installation (with Windows Home edition). Will my laptop function after the Windows 10 re-installation until I install the Dell specific drivers? How will I know that all Dell software and drivers will be found? Is there a way to make a list of this software and drivers as they now exist on my current installation to use for reference?

I would be grateful for advice on the above or any other information about preparing for or planning a new installation of Windows.

:)

Fortitude, Jul 29, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 29, 2020
  3. dually Win User
    Installing Drivers in Recovery M4 SSD

I can't seem to figure out how to install drivers so that can copy my system image to new laptop hard drive. I went as far as to install a new inactivated windows 7 onto the hard drive so I know it works, but when I point recovery at C:\Windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys, I got an error something along the lines of "not relevant to system hardware" (or something like that I forget the exact wording).

I can list the drive in diskpart, and I made sure it is not excluded for copying the image, but after 3 days of fiddling, I still can't get it to work. Where is the driver that I need for recovery to be able to install an image to the new hard drive? I checked crucial website, but they don't seem to list drivers for M4. I assume that since I was able to install a fresh inactivated Windows 7 from a startup disk that the driver I need would be somewhere in that system so maybe I'm just pointing recovery at the wrong file?

dually, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 Battery Plans

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key,

• Type Choose a power plan.

• There you will be able to customize the power plan.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Installing Windows plan for disaster recovery - Similar Threads - Installing plan disaster

2. Windows recovery Is key disaster

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows recovery Is key disaster: So I recently had to reinstall windows on my second laptop because of the new recovery key blue screenSo I recently had to reinstall windows on my second laptop because of the new recovery key blue screen.Now I have 2 laptops and both of them. Are devices on my microsoft...
  3. Windows recovery Is key disaster

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows recovery Is key disaster: So I recently had to reinstall windows on my second laptop because of the new recovery key blue screenSo I recently had to reinstall windows on my second laptop because of the new recovery key blue screen.Now I have 2 laptops and both of them. Are devices on my microsoft...
  4. Windows recovery Is key disaster

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Updates are a Disaster

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Updates are a Disaster: The updates on Windows 10, and now 11, are a total joke. Everytime one comes up, I'm forced to stop my work and spend the next 2-6 hours installing them. And that's if they download and install correctly. If not, I'm forced to spend the rest of my day with various...
  6. Windows 10 Disaster Recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Disaster Recovery: Let's say I have a Windows 10 computer, and I have a recent System Image backup plus some File History backups offsite. Sounds good. I have a lot of "App" games that use only local storage for game save data. Then there is a fire, and my computer is destroyed. I buy an new...
  7. Disaster recovery plan for our Windows 10 PCs which use Google credential provider for...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disaster recovery plan for our Windows 10 PCs which use Google credential provider for...: We have the following:- G-Suite Basic edition. 55 Windows 10 PCs. We install the Google credential provider for windows inside the Windows 10 machines. and we associate Google accounts with existing Windows profiles so now users are login to their PCs using their google...
  8. It is a disaster !!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    It is a disaster !!!: Hello Sir/Madam: The quality of my pc is dropping down ! Today, all at once, many of the "icons", around 1/3, on my screen can not open !! They are cut off from the internet! I have been using the window for around two decades, never saw such serious...
  9. windows 365 is a disaster

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 365 is a disaster: After 3 hour plus sessions with ATT elevated support ($50) and 3 hour plus sessions with Microsoft elevated support, my outlook email account still will not send/receive and connect with the server. Every time the support team sets up a new outlook account and it works for 3...
  10. Classic Start Installation Disaster

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Classic Start Installation Disaster: Using Total Uninstall, I removed Classic Shell, and then started installing Classic Start. The install seemed rather odd, with constant flashing of the desktop, for example. When it finished, it said that I needed to restart the computer, which I did, and is when I...