Windows 10: Installing Windows10 over the top of Windows8.1 with a “Windows 10 installation media” DVD...

Discus and support Installing Windows10 over the top of Windows8.1 with a “Windows 10 installation media” DVD... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I was having major problems with my laptop running Windows10. A “clean install” of Win10 (all partitions deleted) using “Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ghusya, Jun 18, 2019.

1. ghusya Win User

Installing Windows10 over the top of Windows8.1 with a “Windows 10 installation media” DVD...

Hello,

I was having major problems with my laptop running Windows10.

A “clean install” of Win10 (all partitions deleted) using “Windows 10 installation media” DVD failed in that the function keys, wifi, etc. were still not working.

On 17/6/2019 I made a "clean install" using the System Restore Recovery DVDs that I had burnt just after buying the laptop in June 2015. I selected the option which puts the laptop in its “direct-from-the-factory” and “out-of-the-box” condition. I guess this was a way of correcting some of the hardware drivers. The laptop would appear to be working again (incl. function keys working ok again, wifi working again, no apparent stalling so far).

That said, the following problems were noticed after the System Restore of 17/6/2019:

a) “Update and recovery/Windows Updates” now says “checking for updates” and there are sliding dots for hours and hours, but no updates seem to be found. This looks strange to me. “Update and recovery/Windows Update/View your update history” says that the installation is therefore now “Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3020370)”.

b) The fan keeps running constantly (at around 70-80% according to the Toshiba App on the desktop). This is rather noisy and the CPU is clearly generating heat (though maybe this is just because it is an i7 4-core x 2.5GHz CPU?). In comparison, my wife's Lenovo laptop with an i5-7200U processor generates significantly less heat and noise when doing basic stuff like surfing the net and word docs

Q1. Given that the “checking for updates” doesn’t seem to end, does it mean that there is a problem?

Q2. Given that the function keys all appeared to be working ok, wifi was working fine, and I didn’t notice any major stalling today after the System Restore of 17/6/2019 to Windows 8.1, I conclude that the drivers for some of the hardware components have therefore been reinstalled with the System Restore.

Therefore: When installing Win10 with the “Windows 10 installation media” DVD over the top of Win8.1, should I delete all the partitions (as now there are 5 partitions) and "clean install" Windows10 into the resulting "Drive 0 Unallocated Space"? I don't know if some of the partitions (e.g. "Drive 0 Partition 5: Recovery") should be kept since maybe this is where the hardware drivers (such as for the function keys and the additional graphics card) are stored.

My thanks for any useful help you can provide.

For background info, my laptop was bought in June 2015. The spec is:

- Toshiba Satellite L70-B-130 installed originally with Windows 8 (I immediately upgraded to windows 10 when I bought it).

- Intel i7-4710HQ quad-core 2.5GHz

- 8Gb RAM

- Intel HD Graphics 4600

- AMD Radeon R9 M265X (with 2Gb dedicated memory)

- It was bought in Luxembourg, settings and control panels comes up in English (as selected during this latest reinstall), and it has a “Belgian (Period)” azerty keyboard.

:)

ghusya, Jun 18, 2019
  2. Law-II Win User

Windows Media Center Live TV Help

Hi

go here - Hauppauge | Page Not Found select "Windows Media Center install" tab

look at - Setting up your TV tuner in Windows 7 Media Center - select download (will open a pdf with screen by screen instructions)
    "Download
    Here is a screen by screen view of the setup of Windows Media Center. It was based on the WinTV-HVR-1600, but the setup with other WinTV-HVR products will be similar."

Follow the guide stage by stage

let the TPU community know at what "step" Media Center gets stuck at Example: step 1, step 2

nb: It may be to do with your zip code and or post code not being entered

In regard to your DVD Rom drive - go to -control panel/device manager/DVD/CD-ROM drives -make a note of the make and model number Example: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-215D ATA Device - highlight the device you have installed -press right mouse button-select properties-details-property and select Install Date from the drop down list and let us know this.

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Law-II, Jun 18, 2019
  3. Windows 10 installing progs

I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to windows 10 from 7. I used the Media Creation Tool from MS website. It took awhile, but I am finally running Windows 10 (12-14).

I opened the new App & Program feature to remove programs that I no longer needed. Scrolling down the list, I was horrified! Apps that I didn't install somehow magically installed themselves. Two programs stood out: Facebook and Candy Crush Soda Saga. Both programs have those tale-tale icons that they came from Windows Store (which I've never even opened). The install date for both of them were on 12-26.

Is this a common thing for Windows 10? Or is it because I did an upgrade and not a clean install?

GoFigureItOut, Jun 18, 2019
  4. Installing Windows10 over the top of Windows8.1 with a “Windows 10 installation media” DVD...

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jun 18, 2019
Thema:

Installing Windows10 over the top of Windows8.1 with a “Windows 10 installation media” DVD...

1. Installing Windows10 over the top of Windows8.1 with a “Windows 10 installation media” DVD... - Similar Threads - Installing Windows10 top

2. Installing Windows10 Pro DSP OEI from DVD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Windows10 Pro DSP OEI from DVD: Hi. I have an ageing desktop that has Windows 10 re-installed a couple of times in the past by my local PC shop, who originally built it.The file structure is now quite complex.So, I have purchased a genuine copy of Windows 10 Pro.The sealed package comes with a notification...
  3. Installing Windows10 Pro DSP OEI from DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows10 Pro DSP OEI from DVD: Hi. I have an ageing desktop that has Windows 10 re-installed a couple of times in the past by my local PC shop, who originally built it.The file structure is now quite complex.So, I have purchased a genuine copy of Windows 10 Pro.The sealed package comes with a notification...
  4. windows8.

windows8.: Hello, my pc was updated but now some of the program that I have can't open it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows8/7eb87e1c-c239-49b3-80f6-76f0ad185439
  5. Install Windows10 using Media Creation Tools

Install Windows10 using Media Creation Tools: Hi! My hard disk is damaged so i need to replace it. I need to reinstall Windows10 for my laptop. I have downloaded Windows10 Media Creation Tools and make installer in my flash disk. Can anyone tell me the instruction for install windows10 using media creation tools? I...
  6. Installing Windows 10 Pro on a different PC using a DVD with installation media on it

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows 10 Pro on a different PC using a DVD with installation media on it: Hi, I have a question about activating Windows 10 using Installation Media that has been created on a DVD/CD. I'm currently using a fully licensed version of Windows 10 Pro. If I was to create an .iso file using the Installation Media Tool, place the file onto a DVD and...
  7. Installed windows 10 Media DVD power player

Installed windows 10 Media DVD power player: I just want to be able to use the installed DVD player when I need it! And to enable Blueray if is instlled https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-windows-10-media-dvd-power-player/0e6a90e2-35e9-4278-ab59-20c2a335df32
  8. Language selection issue for installing “Windows 10 installation media” DVD (created using...

Language selection issue for installing “Windows 10 installation media” DVD (created using...: Re: Language selection issue for installing “Windows 10 installation media” DVD (created using “Media Creation Tool”) Hello, Due to major stalling, instability and hanging of my laptop, I have made a “Windows 10 installation media” DVD using “Media Creation Tool” from the...
  9. Can we reuse Windows installation DVD/USB media for installing Windows?

Can we reuse Windows installation DVD/USB media for installing Windows?: Can I use someone else's Windows CD/DVD to install Windows on my PC as long as I use my original product key? ***Moved from Microsoft Band 2/Watch mode***...
  10. Convert Windows 7 and Windows8 keys to Windows 10 without installation

Convert Windows 7 and Windows8 keys to Windows 10 without installation: I have multiple Windows 7 and Windows 8 license keys for existing laptops and purchased keys from the past. I want to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10. Since the deadline for the free upgrade is only until July 29, 2016, I don't have enough time to upgrade...