Windows 10: installutil.exe keeps opening and closing after startup

Discus and support installutil.exe keeps opening and closing after startup in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I basically have the same problem as this thread: Microsoft .Net framework 4.0.30319 installutil.exe always popup as command prompt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JonasEO, Nov 25, 2020.

1. JonasEO Win User

installutil.exe keeps opening and closing after startup

Hello,

I basically have the same problem as

this thread:

Microsoft .Net framework 4.0.30319 installutil.exe always popup as command prompt

that is, on startup, i get a command prompt that opens and closes almost instantly. this happens several times. When i click on the command prompt window it doesnt close, until i click away from the window. It is always microsoft.net/framework/v.xxxxx/installutil.exe in the window.

I have tried some of the answers ran several virus/malware scans, ran SFC + DISM in CMD, disabling Microsoft Store from startup and removing it from the startup folder but they didn't help.

One guy says its a faulty installation routine at startup, and suggests trying https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

I tried running the program, but the resulting list is quite long, and i can't really pinpoint one program from this list.

Can anybody offer an alternative? or maybe help deciphering the list from autoruns?

:)

JonasEO, Nov 25, 2020
  2. hapEcat Win User

rundll32.exe opens and closes continiously

All this started back in early August, or about the time "Windows Creator" was installed.
    I have sound notifications for processes that open or close, a paranoia from long ago, or I would have never known this was going on.

rundll32.exe continuously opens and closes (1-2sec intervals) when a "windows explorer" R click menu is pulled up. I can pull up "MS Process Explorer" and it all stops. Found the culprit process by 1st pulling up "Process Explorer" and then R click on any icon pinned to the taskbar. I could then see the process open and closing.

I'm sure someone will suggest to simply just turn off the sounds for opening and closing, but I like to know when something is happening that is not normal, and a continual opening and closing of a process is not normal.... Normally all is quiet.

hapEcat, Nov 25, 2020
  3. Avedis53 Win User
    Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Nov 25, 2020
  4. Bastet Win User

EXE in Startup folder not running

I have the same problem with MS works calendar reminder, the .exe is listed in the startup folder but at the time specified for the reminder it doesn't show the reminder pop-up.
    Tbh this was also a problem under Win 7 & 8/8.1 but rectified it by copying the alarm/calendar reminder .exe to the startup folder, this doesn't work with 10.

Bastet, Nov 25, 2020
Thema:

1. installutil.exe keeps opening and closing after startup - Similar Threads - installutil exe keeps

2. Browsers open, close then reopen on startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Browsers open, close then reopen on startup.: Whether I use MS Edge, or Firefox, or Chrome, or DuckDuckGo... When I start the apps they immediately pop open, and within 1 second the browser immediately closes, then within 2-3 seconds the browser reopens and seems to be working without major issues. This seemed to start...
  3. Terminal sometimes opens up and closes rapidly after startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Terminal sometimes opens up and closes rapidly after startup: I have noticed that sometimes, right after I boot up my computer, Powershell Terminal windows open and close rapidly. It occurs over the span of one or two seconds. This happens approximately once every few days. The terminal windows in question appear to be blank -- there is...
  4. Command prompts open and closes after startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command prompts open and closes after startup: The command prompt window states: C:\Users\Loriefel\AppData\Roaming\Ffox.cif https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompts-open-and-closes-after-startup/e268668d-56ae-4efe-a274-b9625a6ba97a
  5. Command prompts open and closes after startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command prompts open and closes after startup: The command prompt window states: C:\Users\Loriefel\AppData\Roaming\Ffox.cif https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompts-open-and-closes-after-startup/e268668d-56ae-4efe-a274-b9625a6ba97a
  6. Command prompts open and closes after startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. (help) chrome keeps on closing after command prompt opens then closed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    (help) chrome keeps on closing after command prompt opens then closed: When I open chrome (I use incognito) i can use it for around 3 minutes before command prompt opens momentarily then chrome closes, around 5 seconds later a normal chrome window then opens (not incognito) with the web page of what I was last on when not using incognito (if I...
  8. Command promt opens and closes on startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Command promt opens and closes on startup: On startup command promt opens automatically and quickly closes in the flash of an eyeThis started happening randomly one day what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-promt-opens-and-closes-on-startup/befe3220-9f5b-449c-9e31-53fead51179c
  9. Windows PowerShell keeps on opening after startup.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows PowerShell keeps on opening after startup.: Every time a turn on my computer, Windows PowerShell keeps on trying to open. It tries apx 5 times and it's fine then, since I close it every time, but it's annoying and I don't know why is it doing that. This started happening a few weeks ago out of nowhere. It's disabled in...
  10. rundll32.exe opens and closes continiously

in Windows 10 Support
    rundll32.exe opens and closes continiously: All this started back in early August, or about the time "Windows Creator" was installed. I have sound notifications for processes that open or close, a paranoia from long ago, or I would have never known this was going on. rundll32.exe continuously opens and closes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. installutil.exe keeps popping up