Windows 10: installutil.exe keeps opening and closing after startup

Discus and support installutil.exe keeps opening and closing after startup in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I basically have the same problem as this thread: Microsoft .Net framework 4.0.30319 installutil.exe always popup as command prompt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JonasEO, Nov 25, 2020.

1. JonasEO Win User

installutil.exe keeps opening and closing after startup

Hello,

I basically have the same problem as

this thread:

Microsoft .Net framework 4.0.30319 installutil.exe always popup as command prompt

that is, on startup, i get a command prompt that opens and closes almost instantly. this happens several times. When i click on the command prompt window it doesnt close, until i click away from the window. It is always microsoft.net/framework/v.xxxxx/installutil.exe in the window.

I have tried some of the answers ran several virus/malware scans, ran SFC + DISM in CMD, disabling Microsoft Store from startup and removing it from the startup folder but they didn't help.

One guy says its a faulty installation routine at startup, and suggests trying https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

I tried running the program, but the resulting list is quite long, and i can't really pinpoint one program from this list.

Can anybody offer an alternative? or maybe help deciphering the list from autoruns?

:)

JonasEO, Nov 25, 2020
  2. hapEcat Win User

rundll32.exe opens and closes continiously

All this started back in early August, or about the time "Windows Creator" was installed.
    I have sound notifications for processes that open or close, a paranoia from long ago, or I would have never known this was going on.

rundll32.exe continuously opens and closes (1-2sec intervals) when a "windows explorer" R click menu is pulled up. I can pull up "MS Process Explorer" and it all stops. Found the culprit process by 1st pulling up "Process Explorer" and then R click on any icon pinned to the taskbar. I could then see the process open and closing.

I'm sure someone will suggest to simply just turn off the sounds for opening and closing, but I like to know when something is happening that is not normal, and a continual opening and closing of a process is not normal.... Normally all is quiet.

hapEcat, Nov 25, 2020
  3. Avedis53 Win User
    Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Nov 25, 2020
  4. Bastet Win User

EXE in Startup folder not running

I have the same problem with MS works calendar reminder, the .exe is listed in the startup folder but at the time specified for the reminder it doesn't show the reminder pop-up.
    Tbh this was also a problem under Win 7 & 8/8.1 but rectified it by copying the alarm/calendar reminder .exe to the startup folder, this doesn't work with 10.

Bastet, Nov 25, 2020
Thema:

1. installutil.exe keeps opening and closing after startup - Similar Threads - installutil exe keeps

2. Command prompt opens and closes very quickly on startup.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Command prompt opens and closes very quickly on startup.: Whenever I turn on my computer, I see a quick blink of a command prompt. I'm not exactly sure what it is since it's so fast. Some people say it's Office trying to install an update, but Office is already updated! Need help, -Randy...
  3. Windows Security Closing After Open.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Security Closing After Open.: Windows Security will not open after many attempts of me trying to fix it. Here is a list of what I have tried so far: Updating, Restarting, Downloading a new version of Windows 10, sfc /scannow, and almost anything else on the subject of Windows Security not working....
  4. Application keeps opening and closing in my taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Application keeps opening and closing in my taskbar: There is an application that keeps opening and closing in my taskbar and I'm not sure what it is. It doesn't affect me much apart from taking me out of my full-screen games when it opens. This seems to only happen once after booting (but not right away). I was able to grab a...
  5. ForzaHorizon4.exe crashing on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ForzaHorizon4.exe crashing on startup: Hi, I need help to solve this problem, please. When searching for MoBEX all I find is problems with edge. Hopefully I can be helpful providing more information if required ForzaHorizon4.exe Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Program...
  6. Edge Closes after opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge Closes after opening: I've followed many suggestions to get this resolved,including: Cleaned the Apps cache etc using CCleaner Reset the App Repaired the App Removed all Extensions Reinstalled Edge using Powershell Manually removed %APPDATA%...... folders for the Edge app to reset the app...
  7. Cmd closes after open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cmd closes after open: Hello, I installed some program which edited my regedit. As a result there is some cmd starting and closing after every startup and I can't open new cmd because it closes immediately, only powershell works. I found in history that my AutoRun value in...
  8. Microsoft Edge keeps on closing after a few seconds of opening it

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge keeps on closing after a few seconds of opening it: I just downloaded Windows 10 yesterday night and after using it for the first time this morning, I decided to try out Microsoft Edge. Whenever I open it from the app section or the bottom tab section, it shuts down automatically after two seconds. I don't so much as get an...
  9. EXE in Startup folder not running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXE in Startup folder not running: Just don't know if it's really worth the trouble, seems like just one issue after another. Latest is I wrote a program that runs on windows 10 just fine from a shortcut on the desktop. I copied the shortcut to the startup folder for my account and did all the compatibility...
  10. rundll32.exe opens and closes continiously

in Windows 10 Support
    rundll32.exe opens and closes continiously: All this started back in early August, or about the time "Windows Creator" was installed. I have sound notifications for processes that open or close, a paranoia from long ago, or I would have never known this was going on. rundll32.exe continuously opens and closes...