Windows 10: "insufficient disk space" error copying large number of files to external hard drive

Discus and support "insufficient disk space" error copying large number of files to external hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I purchased a WD Elements external hard drive with a view to backing up the contents of my Win 10 laptop, particularly the pictures folder. The drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sebverghese, Dec 31, 2020.

1. "insufficient disk space" error copying large number of files to external hard drive

I purchased a WD Elements external hard drive with a view to backing up the contents of my Win 10 laptop, particularly the pictures folder. The drive comes ready to use out of the box and File Explorer reports it's formatted as NTFS and has a 4.54 TB capacity.

When I tried copying the pictures folder it gave me an insufficient disk space error, suggesting that there was only 53.5 GB free out of a total 462GB.

I got the same result regardless if I tried to initiate the copy through a right-click "Copy" then "Paste, a CTRL-C then CTRL-V or a right click "Send to" action manually selecting the external hard drive.

I contacted WD support who first suggested reformatting the drive. This made no difference so eventually they told me to return it. I received the replacement today only to have exactly the same problem.

Eventually I worked out that I could copy all the files, just not in one go. By selecting groups of folders rather trying to copy them than all at once it worked. I could even run multiple copies simultaneously.

Can someone please explain what's happening?

:)

sebverghese, Dec 31, 2020

2. external hard drive

Hi Chrpee,

If you can't find external hard drive on Disk management than the next step is using the diskpart via command line, please follow the steps below:-

On the keyboard hit ((Windows logo key + R key)) than type ((CMD))

Now the windows command line will appear, the next steps is to type ((diskpart))

After that type ((list disk)) to show you the list of hard disks with partitions

If you found your external hard drive one of the list than you need to type ((select disk number)), note: the number is a disk number

Once you selected the hard disk or partitions than type ((clean))

than type ((create partition primary))

than type ((select partition 1))

than type ((active))

than type ((format fs=ntfs quick))

than type ((assign))

last type ((exit))

Check if the external hard drive appeared, if not please see the link below for more info and let me know if you need any assist

https://uk.pcmag.com/dvd-burners/120624/what-to...

Abdirahman Issa, Dec 31, 2020
  3. Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive

I'm trying to copy all my pictures off of my hard drive onto a 3T external hard drive. I have very little disk space remaining on my hard drive. When I 'copy' the pictures file and then try to paste it to the external hard drive, I get the message "There
    is not enough space on Windows". What the heck does this mean? I'm try to copy it to a completely empty 3T EXTERNAL drive; why do I need to have 'space on Windows'???

ValerieKozlowski, Dec 31, 2020
  4. "insufficient disk space" error copying large number of files to external hard drive

Disk / file copy issue

Hi Bob,

It seems that the large folder that you moved to the external hard drive has appeared to be the main video folder. To isolate this case, we suggest that you create a new folder on the external hard drive first before copying/moving any files/folders.

By the way, we would like to ask the following information to help us sort out and address the issue:

• What's the make and model of your hard drive?
    • Have you tried safely removing and reconnecting your hard drive from your PC?

In the meantime, please create a new folder on the external hard drive first, then try copying/moving a file/folder and see if it saves on the folder you specified.

Let us know the result.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 31, 2020
Thema:

"insufficient disk space" error copying large number of files to external hard drive

1. "insufficient disk space" error copying large number of files to external hard drive - Similar Threads - insufficient disk space

2. Insufficient Disk Space Error - Plenty of Disk Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Insufficient Disk Space Error - Plenty of Disk Space: I have two Samsung solid state drives both 1 TB as my drive D: which is where I store all of my video data. Windows is installed on Drive C:. I recently received an error when moving data between my phone to drive D: and received an insufficient disk space error despite...
  3. Insufficient Disk Space Error - Plenty of Disk Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Insufficient Disk Space Error - Plenty of Disk Space: I have two Samsung solid state drives both 1 TB as my drive D: which is where I store all of my video data. Windows is installed on Drive C:. I recently received an error when moving data between my phone to drive D: and received an insufficient disk space error despite...
  4. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  5. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  6. Copying to External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying to External Hard Drive: I try to copy files to my external hard drives, the system goes through the procedure, but when I look where the files should be, only the folders are being copied. Why am I unable to copy to external drives and how can I do this?...
  7. copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive: when i am copying 2 large folders both more than 2GB in size from hard disk to usb external drive should i copy both of them at same time or one at a time???????? thnx in advance 176705
  8. insufficient disk space on mapped drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    insufficient disk space on mapped drive: User Desktop: Windows 10 Server: Windows Server 2012R User is getting "insufficient disk space" when trying to copy files to his Desktop. Have checked the server which had tons of space and no user profile quotas are setup so no sure why this is occurring.. Yesterday did...
  9. error while copying file from external hard disk to laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    error while copying file from external hard disk to laptop: I tried to copy files from my external hard disk to my laptop but an error message came saying "cant read from souce file or disk". Any solutons?...
  10. External Hard Drive copies

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive copies: When I attach an external hard drive it displays two copies (e.g. Drive (E:)) the content is the same but when moving folders or files i have sometimes put them in different copies. I would like just one drive but how do i get rid of the copy?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. insufficient storage on pasteing ftp