Windows 10: insufficient disk space on mapped drive

Discus and support insufficient disk space on mapped drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; User Desktop: Windows 10 Server: Windows Server 2012R User is getting "insufficient disk space" when trying to copy files to his Desktop. Have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Iron_Tech_Paddy, Jan 16, 2020.

1. insufficient disk space on mapped drive

User Desktop: Windows 10

Server: Windows Server 2012R

User is getting "insufficient disk space" when trying to copy files to his Desktop. Have checked the server which had tons of space and no user profile quotas are setup so no sure why this is occurring..

Yesterday did windows update seemed to fix the issue short term but it returned today.

The user profile is large 12GB but there are larger profiles on the server.

Any ideas?

submitted by /u/Iron_Tech_Paddy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Iron_Tech_Paddy, Jan 16, 2020
  2. IANRUBERY Win User

Windows Update “insufficient disk space” even after disk clean up.

I have a tablet pc loaded with Windows 10 version 1511.

I cannot use Windows Update to change to latest version because it responds “insufficient disk space”, even though I have done everything possible to clear the “C” drive of unnecessary files etc.

I understand that in the past when the “insufficient disk space” message was received the user was then invited to specify a different drive as supplementary disk space.
    This invitation does not appear now.

Is there any way I can use a usb flash drive to temporarily provide more disk space for the update process?

IANRUBERY, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Insufficient disk space when installing an update

Hi,

I apologize for not addressing you in a timely manner. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if that helps:

• -First remove the externally connected flash drive or disk
    • -Shutdown your computer and then restart it back.
    • -Now follow the steps below and check if that helps:
    Step: 1

a. Press Windows Key + X.

b. Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin)

Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for UAC(User Account Control).

c. Type following commands into the command prompt one after the other

net stop wuauserv

net stop bits

net stop cryptsvc

Keep Command Prompt window opened.

Step :2

Rename Windows Update folders

At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:

ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old

ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Then type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command:

net start wuauserv

net start bits

net start cryptsvc

• - Once you complete the steps, connect the external flash drive and then click on Check for Updates. Now when it ask to select the other drive for more space, try to make the choice by selecting the connected external flash
      drive. Now see if everything goes correctly.
    Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, Jan 16, 2020
  4. IANRUBERY Win User

insufficient disk space on mapped drive

Windows Update “insufficient disk space” even after disk clean up.

Thank you Prakhar,

1. It is a tablet, make Prestigio, model Multipad Visconte 32 GB with extra 32GB via SD card acting as drive D.
    2. About 50MB free space on drive C, about 24GB on drive D.
    3. Via the Windows Update app.

With Free up space for Windows 10 updates
    and Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10 and
    Free up drive space in Windows 10 did not help unfortunately.
    Also I have tried many other standard procedures many times.

The first time I tried the Windows Update app the “insufficient disk space” message came with the invitation to specify a different drive to gain more disk space, this I am certain about.
    However, I did not respond at the time because it so surprised me.
    The invitation no longer appears, but over time I have seen references to it in various blogs.

So I still have the problem.

Is there any way I can use drive D, or a usb flash drive to temporarily provide more disk space for the update process?

Yours faithfully,

Ian Rubery,

L: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

IANRUBERY, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

insufficient disk space on mapped drive

1. insufficient disk space on mapped drive - Similar Threads - insufficient disk space

2. Insufficient Disk Space Error - Plenty of Disk Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Insufficient Disk Space Error - Plenty of Disk Space: I have two Samsung solid state drives both 1 TB as my drive D: which is where I store all of my video data. Windows is installed on Drive C:. I recently received an error when moving data between my phone to drive D: and received an insufficient disk space error despite...
  3. Insufficient Disk Space Error - Plenty of Disk Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Insufficient Disk Space Error - Plenty of Disk Space: I have two Samsung solid state drives both 1 TB as my drive D: which is where I store all of my video data. Windows is installed on Drive C:. I recently received an error when moving data between my phone to drive D: and received an insufficient disk space error despite...
  4. Windows 11: Unable to install legacy game on C: drive - insufficient disk space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: Unable to install legacy game on C: drive - insufficient disk space: I'm trying to install the game Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory on Windows 11. I receive the following message:"The drive you chose to install Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory on does not have enough free space. Please free up at least 271MB or choose another drive with sufficient...
  5. Windows 11: Unable to install legacy game on C: drive - insufficient disk space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: Unable to install legacy game on C: drive - insufficient disk space: I'm trying to install the game Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory on Windows 11. I receive the following message:"The drive you chose to install Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory on does not have enough free space. Please free up at least 271MB or choose another drive with sufficient...
  6. "insufficient disk space" error copying large number of files to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "insufficient disk space" error copying large number of files to external hard drive: I purchased a WD Elements external hard drive with a view to backing up the contents of my Win 10 laptop, particularly the pictures folder. The drive comes ready to use out of the box and File Explorer reports it's formatted as NTFS and has a 4.54 TB capacity. When I tried...
  7. There is insufficient disk space to complete operation on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    There is insufficient disk space to complete operation on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Error Copying File or Folder – There is insufficient disk space to complete operation is caused due to factors like lack of disk space, disk corruption, etc. This message usually pops up when a user is trying to move or [...] This post There is insufficient...
  8. Mapped network drives show wrong disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped network drives show wrong disk space: Hi, So I have mapped two network drives, one for my OneDrive and one for a web server, but they do not show available space correctly, they seem to mimic my physical drive only. [ATTACH] they mimic it to the byte! ``` DeviceID : C: DriveType : 3 ProviderName :...
  9. insufficient space for update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    insufficient space for update: The notebook is an AspireSwitch10 with a 64 Gb micro SB installed. Windows 10 update doesn't recognize it for added space. It does show up in file explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/insufficient-space-for-update/3566eedd-b10b-4f9c-bbe8-2dd6d3f8676b
  10. insufficient disk space to update windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    insufficient disk space to update windows 10: My laptop keeps trying to update Windows 10 and failing, giving me an error that says there is insufficient disk space, which surprises me because the computer is relatively new and I don't use it that much. I follow the instructions to clean up disk space, but this does not...