Windows 10: insufficient power when external SSD is connected to USB hub?

Discus and support insufficient power when external SSD is connected to USB hub? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My laptop has too few USB 3.0 ports for my purposes and therefore I use USB hubs to connect external devices to it. In fact I have two externally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Fortitude, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Fortitude Win User

insufficient power when external SSD is connected to USB hub?

My laptop has too few USB 3.0 ports for my purposes and therefore I use USB hubs to connect external devices to it. In fact I have two externally powered USB hubs of seven ports each connected to the laptop.

On one of them I have four (individually powered) external drives connected to it, my keyboard, a mouse and a printer. This hub presents no problems. However, the other one which is used to power some airflow fans under the laptop (not sure if it's really useful) does not seem to have enough power when I connect a 512 GB external SSD drive to it. The drive keeps connecting to and disconnecting from the laptop.

If I were to change the USB hub that presents this problem can you suggest what I should look out for in buying a new hub?

:)

Fortitude, Sep 15, 2019
  2. Uplink10 Win User

Sharkoon Unveils New USB 3.0 Hubs in Aluminium

It really depends what kind of devices you will have connected to the hub, if you will connect three or four 2.5" external HDDs then there won't be enough power but if you are going to connect external HDDs (3.5") with external power supply and few USB keys and one 2.5" external HDD then there should not be a problem with power. But if someone is buying 7 port USB 3.0 hub then they should definetly get externally powered USB hub.

Uplink10, Sep 15, 2019
  3. USB HUB

Hi,

Incompatible USB hub driver is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. We recommend uninstalling the USB Root Hub driver and see if it helps. Follow the stepes below:

• Open Device Manager.
    • Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand.
    • Right-click USB Root Hub, then click Properties.
    • Go to the Driver tab.
    • Click Uninstall.
    • Restart your computer.
    Note: Restarting your computer will automatically reinstall a generic driver for your computer. Also, we suggest connecting your USB hub while performing the steps.

If the issue still persists, let's disable the USB selective suspend settings thru Power Options to resolve the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Type Power Options in the search box, then press Enter.
    • Locate USB settings > USB selective suspend settings.
    • Select Disable.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Sep 15, 2019
  4. insufficient power when external SSD is connected to USB hub?

my comp wont recognize an external 2.0 usb hub and shows no usb 2.0 in device manager

Hi Bob,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
    2. Have you tried connecting on different ports?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?

Refer the article Which Windows operating system am I running to provide
    the details.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and let us know if that helps.

Method 1

Disable/Enable quick boot Windows 10

1. Type Power Options in Start menu search and press
      Enter key to open Power Options window.
    2. Click on Choose what the power buttons do to open System Settings window.
    3. Click on the link named Change settings that are currently available.
    4. Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.
    5. Click on Save Changes, restart the device to check the status of the issue.

Method 2

If the USB device does not display in Device Manager, there might be a power requirement issue. Disconnect the device and perform the following steps until the device is detected:

1. Restart the computer
    2. Connect the device and wait 5 seconds. If the device is not recognized, disconnect it and go to the next step.
    3. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
    4. Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand the list.
    5. Double-click a USB Root Hub, click the
      Power
      tab, and then click Power Properties (if it is shown).

Note: The Power tab displays only in USB 2.0. There is no Power tab in USB 3.0.

Devices that are attached to the hub are shown, as well as the power that they require. If the total displayed power is over 500 mA, remove the devices and use a powered hub.

6. Continue looking at the power properties of each USB hub. If the total Power required exceeds the Total power available for the hub, then remove a device on that hub to lower the Power required number.
    7. Connect the device and wait 5 seconds. If the device is not recognized, disconnect it and go to the next step.
    8. Remove high-speed USB cables that are over 3m (9.8 ft) in length and use high-speed cables that are shorter than 3 m.
      Only use high-speed cables shorter than 3m in length with high-speed USB devices (multifunction printers, scanners, and cameras).
    9. If the USB device is connected to a USB port on a keyboard, disconnect it, then connect it to a USB port on the computer or to a powered hub.
    10. There might be an issue with the USB port. Try connecting to a different USB port. If the USB device displays in Device Manager after connecting the cable to a different port, then uninstall and reinstall the USB device software
      driver.
    11. There might be an issue with the USB port. Try connecting to a different USB port. If the USB device displays in Device Manager after connecting the cable to a different port, then uninstall and reinstall the USB device software
      driver.
    12. Consult the manufacturer of the device for support if the device still fails to display.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Sep 15, 2019
Thema:

insufficient power when external SSD is connected to USB hub?

1. insufficient power when external SSD is connected to USB hub? - Similar Threads - insufficient power external

2. Connecting a USB-c SSD to a USB-c Hub

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting a USB-c SSD to a USB-c Hub: I have a USB-c Hub that works splendidly. I also have a spectacular SSD M.2 Enclosure that also works fine if I connect it directly to my laptop. If, however if connect the enclosure to the HUB it is recognized but stops working after a couple of clicks and I see disk errors...
  3. Connecting a USB-c SSD to a USB-c Hub

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting a USB-c SSD to a USB-c Hub: I have a USB-c Hub that works splendidly. I also have a spectacular SSD M.2 Enclosure that also works fine if I connect it directly to my laptop. If, however if connect the enclosure to the HUB it is recognized but stops working after a couple of clicks and I see disk errors...
  4. Keyboards not work on externally powered USB hub, but will work on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboards not work on externally powered USB hub, but will work on PC: HelloI am having repeated issues with keyboard usage. I have tried with two different keyboards and encounter the same issues when plugging into the USB hub the PC cannot recognise the device. I have done countless driver uninstalls and restarts, and checked my power...
  5. Keyboards not work on externally powered USB hub, but will work on PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboards not work on externally powered USB hub, but will work on PC: HelloI am having repeated issues with keyboard usage. I have tried with two different keyboards and encounter the same issues when plugging into the USB hub the PC cannot recognise the device. I have done countless driver uninstalls and restarts, and checked my power...
  6. Keyboards not work on externally powered USB hub, but will work on PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. USB Hub - Powered or not?

USB Hub - Powered or not?: I've run out of USB Ports on my PC, so I'm looking at a 4 port Hub. My question is this: Do I need a powered Hub or non-powered Hub? Devices to be connected to the Hub are Mouse, Keyboard, USB Headphones and phone charging via USB cable. Thanks. 164695
  8. No internet connection with external usb hub plugged in

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No internet connection with external usb hub plugged in: Hi guys, I recently bought an external usb hub, as my laptop only has 2 ports. What's happening is if I have 2 things plugged into the external ports and one in the computer's, my laptop disconnects from the internet and says I am unable to connect back. As soon as I unplug...
  9. Powered USB Hub

Powered USB Hub: Could someone wise please recommend a quality 4 port v3.0 powered USB hub with a UK mains plug PSU? I need it for keyboard, mouse, printer and Saitek X52 Pro joystick - the latter will not work unpowered with the rest. I've had a devil of a time trying to find Best Buy...
  10. Powered usb external hard drive in powered usb hub

Powered usb external hard drive in powered usb hub: I have two powered USB 2.0 hard drives that I plan to plug into a powered USB 3.0 hub. I know I won't get the USB 3.0 speed, but should the I also connect each drive's power connection? Thank you for your help. 96467