Windows 10: Insufficient space for windows update

Discus and support Insufficient space for windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have tried to follow the Microsoft guidance to do start>settings>windows update then to select a temporary external storage device - my problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RichardGoodman4, May 1, 2020.

1. Insufficient space for windows update

I have tried to follow the Microsoft guidance to do start>settings>windows update then to select a temporary external storage device - my problem being there is nowhere to make such a selection. I have also tried the windows 10 update assistant - that tells me to try step 1 - to free up at least 8gb of space on the C drive then to move on to step 2 as required, that being to install an external storage device with 11gb free. Step 1 doesn't clear 8gb of data and despite installing an appropriate storage device nothing happens. Is someone able to help please?

:)

RichardGoodman4, May 1, 2020

2. Insufficient Storage space to download the updates on Windows 10.

Hi Minnie,

Pleas reply, what is the make and model of the tablet?

Since it is a hardware issue, I suggest you to contact the device manufacturer (Tablet manufacturer’s website) for further assistance regarding insufficient space to install the updates.

Write to us for further assistance regarding insufficient storage space to install the update on the PC. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, May 1, 2020
  3. Windows Update - Insufficient space with 27GB HDD

I've got a cheap Lenovo Ideapad which came with a paltry 27GB of space. When I first got it this left about 5-10GB for apps and with careful file management and an external SD card I was able to have a usable pc. Over time, the windows updates have taken
    progressively more HDD space and I am now unable to update further. I have just tried resetting the PC and uninstalling all the apps and even now seem to have insufficient space for updates. Is it possible to update from an external drive or are there any
    other suggestions short of completely reinstalling windows (which seems like just a temporary solution anyway).

LifeInFlow, May 1, 2020
  4. Insufficient space for windows update

Insufficient disk space when installing an update

Hi,

I apologize for not addressing you in a timely manner. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if that helps:

• -First remove the externally connected flash drive or disk
    • -Shutdown your computer and then restart it back.
    • -Now follow the steps below and check if that helps:
    Step: 1

a. Press Windows Key + X.

b. Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin)

Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for UAC(User Account Control).

c. Type following commands into the command prompt one after the other

net stop wuauserv

net stop bits

net stop cryptsvc

Keep Command Prompt window opened.

Step :2

Rename Windows Update folders

At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:

ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old

ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Then type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command:

net start wuauserv

net start bits

net start cryptsvc

• - Once you complete the steps, connect the external flash drive and then click on Check for Updates. Now when it ask to select the other drive for more space, try to make the choice by selecting the connected external flash
      drive. Now see if everything goes correctly.
    Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, May 1, 2020
Thema:

Insufficient space for windows update

1. Insufficient space for windows update - Similar Threads - Insufficient space update

2. Insufficient Disk Space Error - Plenty of Disk Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Insufficient Disk Space Error - Plenty of Disk Space: I have two Samsung solid state drives both 1 TB as my drive D: which is where I store all of my video data. Windows is installed on Drive C:. I recently received an error when moving data between my phone to drive D: and received an insufficient disk space error despite...
  3. Insufficient Disk Space Error - Plenty of Disk Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Insufficient Disk Space Error - Plenty of Disk Space: I have two Samsung solid state drives both 1 TB as my drive D: which is where I store all of my video data. Windows is installed on Drive C:. I recently received an error when moving data between my phone to drive D: and received an insufficient disk space error despite...
  4. Insufficient space to update to Windows 10, version 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Insufficient space to update to Windows 10, version 1909: My HP x2 Detachable 10-p0XX only has a 32GB harddrive. I've moved everything over to a 128GB SD card. In spite of my best efforts, I am still 1GB short to be able to install the v1909 update. Any known methods/strategies to get the update on to smaller HDDs?...
  5. Call Of Duty 1 error - "Insufficient space"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Call Of Duty 1 error - "Insufficient space": I have recently decided to install the original Call of Duty on my Windows 10 PC after finding it in a box of games. But when choosing the install location it comes up with this error: [ATTACH] I am installing from the disc and it is the deluxe edition with the United...
  6. insufficient disk space on mapped drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    insufficient disk space on mapped drive: User Desktop: Windows 10 Server: Windows Server 2012R User is getting "insufficient disk space" when trying to copy files to his Desktop. Have checked the server which had tons of space and no user profile quotas are setup so no sure why this is occurring.. Yesterday did...
  7. Insufficient Memory or disc space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Insufficient Memory or disc space: Hi - I continue to get the same printer error. Working in Windows 10, on a basic word document. I have an inkjet printer which is frequently fine printing until my computer comes up with this error "insufficient memory or disc space. Word cannot display the requested...
  8. Notice insufficient space to update computer and programs

Notice insufficient space to update computer and programs: How can I determine which files should be deleted to free up space on my computer? I haven't installed any new programs or created any large files lately. I suspect it is backup files and I need only the most recent backups. Help....
  9. insufficient space for update

insufficient space for update: The notebook is an AspireSwitch10 with a 64 Gb micro SB installed. Windows 10 update doesn't recognize it for added space. It does show up in file explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/insufficient-space-for-update/3566eedd-b10b-4f9c-bbe8-2dd6d3f8676b
  10. insufficient disk space to update windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    insufficient disk space to update windows 10: My laptop keeps trying to update Windows 10 and failing, giving me an error that says there is insufficient disk space, which surprises me because the computer is relatively new and I don't use it that much. I follow the instructions to clean up disk space, but this does not...