Windows 10: Intel Compute Stick, first BSOD

Discus and support Intel Compute Stick, first BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi BSOD squad, I hope you are able to tell me what caused this BSOD today. Background: Intel Compute Stick, used as HTPC. Never had any issues,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kari, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Kari Win User

Intel Compute Stick, first BSOD

Hi BSOD squad, I hope you are able to tell me what caused this BSOD today.

Background: Intel Compute Stick, used as HTPC. Never had any issues, works like a charm. Upgraded last night to build 10547 EN-GB x86.

Today VPN connection to Finland to watch news from Finnish TV, switch VPN to Sweden to watch Swedish news, switched VPN to UK to watch rugby when at the same moment the VPN told connection is established I got the BSOD. VPN is CyberGhost version 5.0.15.14 (15.9.7.5IE), the latest.

Specs summary:
    Attachment 38240

DM Log Collector ZIP: Attachment 38241

Thanks in advance,

:)

2. Intel Compute Stick Useless

Just getting a total view of my error across and storing images of the fault while i can. The images function in this thread is terrible. Mind your own business.

StevenMutch, Sep 18, 2015
  3. Intel Compute Stick Useless

Hello, ive been having nothing but problems since I got the compute stick. It kept resetting itself saying kernel error, iqrl error etc. Now there is no internet connection. It wont let me reset anything, view events, connect to the internet or troubleshoot.
    Can I have a refund please? Every 5 - 20 minutes it resets and wont let me into safemode. Intel Compute Stick, first BSOD :(

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

StevenMutch, Sep 18, 2015
  4. blueelvis Win User

Hi Kari ^_^,

I am trying to analyse the dump file but I am getting symbol errors. Furthermore, the WinDBG stalls when trying to run any command for your dump file at least on my system *Sad
    But, I managed to see that the problem is indeed being caused by your VPN software.

If you really like your VPN, I would suggest you to contact their support services and raise a ticket.

Let me know how it goes ^_^

-Pranav

blueelvis, Sep 22, 2015
  5. Kari Win User
    Thanks. I got this figured out, the BSOD Team members pointed me to the right track in another thread.

The culprit is tap0901.sys, the TAP network driver for the VPN. It works perfectly up to Windows 10 build 10532, crashes in build 10547.

However, I didn't restore the earlier build 10532 because I found a bit strange workaround, after noticing a pattern in these BSODs which after reporting the first one started to occur regularly. I noticed that I got the BSOD every time when the computer was booted to the desktop but the VPN connection was not created / used until later, at 3 to 5 minutes after the boot and later. Simply like this:
    • Always a BSOD:
      • Boot the computer to desktop, do not create a VPN connection until several minutes after the boot. First time establishing the VPN connection will cause the BSOD
    • Never a BSOD:
      • Boot the computer to desktop, create a VPN connection immediately, within a couple of minutes after the boot. No BSOD, I can disconnect VPN and reconnect as often as I want to
    After finding this out it was easy, I just made the VPN to start when Windows is started and establish a connection automatically by startup:
    Attachment 39051

6. axe0 New Member
    Well done finding a work around @Kari and thank you for posting it *Smile

7. Kari Win User
    Thanks Axe0.

Any insight about what's behind this workaround, or rather in my case the complete solution? How can it be possible that I never get a BSOD if the VPN is launched and connection established immediately after the boot, but I always get a BSOD when establishing a VPN connection if the first connection is made some minutes after the boot?

8. axe0 New Member

That would only be possible if we could read the dump files.

9. mickey Win User
    I think something has gone wrong I haven't posted that I'm aware of if by any chance I have it would be an error obviously on my part for which I truly apologize.

mickey, Sep 23, 2015
  10. axe0 New Member
    Pretty clear yes that something is wrong.
    Normally when a VPN causes a BSOD is because it is trying to connect to the internet.

Thema:

1. Intel Compute Stick, first BSOD - Similar Threads - Intel Compute Stick

2. BSOD on first startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD on first startup: Hello everyone, So after 1-2 minutes when the computer is started on a cold boot, a BSOD appears and it restarts. This happens once or twice after the computer is started in cold boot. After that, I don't get BSOD anymore and everything works normally....
  3. First W11 BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    First W11 BSOD: Esteemed BSOD geeks, please help me understand what happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/first-w11-bsod/d47bf183-c04c-4320-8559-efc8e67b24ac
  4. My first bsod :

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My first bsod :: Today I had my first bsod i was running the new win 10 20h2 update I was starting a game and I got this bsod PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA The program that failed was win32kfull.sys Specs if needed 4gb ram ddr4 Intel Pentium gold 4417u Intel hd graphics 610 [IMG]...
  5. Intel Compute Stick 32GB version - How to disable Windows 1903 build?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Intel Compute Stick 32GB version - How to disable Windows 1903 build?: Greetings, I was wondering if I could completely disable Windows 1903 build from installing on the after mentioned device. The problem occurs when I upgrade from build 1809 to 1903 I run out of storage on the device, which only has 32GB. After 1903 build update, the storage...
  6. Intel Unveils Neural Compute Stick 2 for Smarter AI Edge Devices

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Unveils Neural Compute Stick 2 for Smarter AI Edge Devices: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] What’s New: Intel is hosting its first artificial intelligence (AI) developer conference in Beijing on Nov. 14 and 15. The company kicked off the event with the introduction of the Intel® Neural Compute Stick 2 (Intel NCS...
  7. Intel Compute Stick (stck1a32wfc) BSOD - acpi_bios_error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intel Compute Stick (stck1a32wfc) BSOD - acpi_bios_error: I had Ubuntu 16.10 loaded on this stick but the o/s proved too much for it. I ended up swapping it out for a lighter-weight Debian based distribution which is still installed as far as I recall. I would like to reinstall Win10 now ( it came with Win8.1 + upgrade to Win10),...
  8. Intel Compute Stick - Installing Windows

Intel Compute Stick - Installing Windows: Hey guys, I have a slight problem. I purchased a Intel Compute Stick STCK1A8LFC and did not realise it was only supported for or came installed with Ubuntu on it. I am trying to install Windows 10 on it. During install I am constantly getting Windows ran into a problem...
  9. Cannot Install Win10 Ver 14393 0n Intel Compute Stick 1A32WFC

Cannot Install Win10 Ver 14393 0n Intel Compute Stick 1A32WFC: I have just finished updating my Desktop & Surface Tablet to Win10 Version 14393! Took a long time but completed without a HITCH! However, on my Intel Compute Stick Computer STCK1A32WFC, after checking computer status gave following error! "Not enough disk space, needs...
  10. Intel Compute Stick: Same problem on installation Win 10 update 1511

Intel Compute Stick: Same problem on installation Win 10 update 1511: Good day to all, This is my first post in this forum and I actually discovered it by searching at the Internet, after having the same problem (installation of Windows 10 new Update 1511- nersion 10586) with my Intel Compute Stick, which was bought to serve me as an...