Windows 10: Intel Compute Stick: Same problem on installation Win 10 update 1511

Discus and support Intel Compute Stick: Same problem on installation Win 10 update 1511 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good day to all, This is my first post in this forum and I actually discovered it by searching at the Internet, after having the same problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Panayotis Melas, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Intel Compute Stick: Same problem on installation Win 10 update 1511

Good day to all,

This is my first post in this forum and I actually discovered it by searching at the Internet, after having the same problem (installation of Windows 10 new Update 1511- nersion 10586) with my Intel Compute Stick, which was bought to serve me as an everyday-use-quick-access computer on my TV screen.

The Stick was initilally bought about two weeks ago from a major computer store here, in Greece. As soon as I brought it home, I connected it on a screen, attached a USB hub with a USB keyboard & mouse set and an external USB stick of 32 GB capacity. Soon after performing the first settings, the Stick went to Windows updates and after downloading and installed the first available ones, it came to a point, when the update 1511 (newer version 10586 of Windows 10) started been downloaded and installed.

The installation froze at about 76% of the process and I had to shut it down and restart it, getting back to the previous version of Windows 10. I tried several options to repeat that, but it became impossible. At the beginning, when I did several attempts on it, I had the impression that the required free space on the embedded eMMC card of 32 GB (the "system disc" of the Stick) was not enough to accept the update (it requires at least a free space of 15GB on the disc, to be installed). However, even when I made enough space free for this, by deleting all Temporary Files, including those of the previous operating system and I was hoping that the installation process would move these files to the attached USB stick, the installation still could not be achieved. Then, after communicating with Intel and Microsoft and having a Service Ticket opened at Intel, I returned it to the store and it was replaced with another, new and sealed one.

However, the problem still remains. The new Stick still presents the same malfunction and cannot accept the installation of the new update. On the new Stick, before trying anything and having the new version installed on an external USB stick, when I performed the first necessary settings, and having it not connected to the Internet, to avoid any updates downloading, I tried to upgrade the OS through the USB stick. The process seemed to go on smoothly up to about the same point, when it froze again.

I had to manually shut down the Stick and have it return to the previous version again.

My communication with Intel is still going on.

At this point, I really have no problem to retain the existing version 10240 of Windows 10, but it seems impossible to avoid the downloading and the repeated trials of installation of the new version 10586 (update 1511). You see, all computers with Windows 10 installed, do not provide the option to their users to skip an update.

Can I have an advice, that will allow me to skip that update, which causes this unsolved problem (for now), until at least a solution is found, either by Microsoft or by Intel or by both of them?
    -

:)

Panayotis Melas, Dec 11, 2015

2. Intel Compute Stick with Windows 10 - 1511 update failure

Hello John. Intel said in a forum post, that there is a solution and it will be released at january 15t h they think. That was a few days ago The problem is the activated write cache of the internal eMMC device. If you deactivate the write cache, everything
    is fine. But to deactivate it, you need to be in windows A clean install is impossible, because then the write cache activates again, because it´s the default setting of the eMMC device.

PascalKillenberg, Dec 11, 2015
  3. Intel Compute Stick with Windows 10 - 1511 update failure

This is a "Me Too" My intel compute stick just updated to 1511 and now the UI freezes when I try to start.

It is not a fix to revert... The previous version is missing remote desktop connection options in the firewall setup.

Hope for at real fix Intel Compute Stick: Same problem on installation Win 10 update 1511 :D

theodorheiselberg, Dec 11, 2015
  4. mmolop Win User

Intel Compute Stick: Same problem on installation Win 10 update 1511

I have similar units to the Intel stick PC - almost identical and it also crashed when doing 151 update but after a few reboots it appeared to succeed - then when logging on it just freezes after about 2 mins leaving me to reboot to the same again. I have 2 of these PCs and both did the same leading me to think there is some soft of compatibility issue with them. I can get them into safe mode but I have had to roll one back to the pre-update version. It would be good to see what can be done to make these devices work.

mmolop, Dec 14, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    When the upgrade starts, as soon as the "computer" reboots the first time disconnect all usb devices and see if the upgrade finishes.

NavyLCDR, Dec 14, 2015
  6. Hello again,

When you say "disconnect all usb devices", do you mean even the USB keyboard/mouse? Because, at one (at least one, if not more) of my trials, the only USB device connected to the Stick (via the USB hub, of course) was the keyboard/mouse set.

I cannot imaging how a keyboard or mouse can affect the completion of the installation, but still, your advice on this will be appreciated.

Panayotis Melas, Dec 15, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The mouse and keyboard should be OK. Do you have a micro-sd card inserted? Try it with that removed.

NavyLCDR, Dec 15, 2015
  8. Intel Compute Stick: Same problem on installation Win 10 update 1511

No, I don't. I believe that this was made clear in my initial post. In addition, I had in mind the problems reported, regarding the use of a microSD card on this Intel Stick, so I adoided its use from the beginning.

Panayotis Melas, Dec 15, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You could use Macrium reflect free to make an image of the 32GB memory saved to a USB flash drive or Micro-SD card, then boot with a Windows 10 build 10586 USB flash drive and try a clean install. Oh - make sure and have a tested Macrium Reflect Free rescue USB to restore the image with if need be. That's what I did with my Nextbook Flexxx tablet which has also the exact same specs as the compute stick.

Also, what I did was create a custom boot partition expanded to about 750mb in size. I copied the Macrium Reflect Free Rescue ISO to the boot partition and added it as a bootable item with EasyBCD so I have restore capability right on the Tablet which will not be affected by a crash of Windows 10. I have an image stored on a Micro-SD card.

Also, thanks to your thread, I'm probably going to buy a compute stick to run as media streaming client which I am using a full desktop computer for now. I use Kodi media player.

NavyLCDR, Dec 15, 2015
  10. mmolop Win User
    I have just reverted back to Windows 8.1
    Even a blank install of Windows 8 will not now upgrade to Windows 10

mmolop, Dec 17, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Have you tried a clean install of Windows 10?

NavyLCDR, Dec 17, 2015
  12. mmolop Win User
    I tried installing from a Windows 10 recovery USB drive if that's what you mean and that also failed.

mmolop, Dec 17, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

What I mean by a clean install is you usually boot from a Windows 10 install USB made from the Media Creation Tool. Select the custom install option. Delete all of the partitions listed (erases the hard drive - or 32GB memory in this case), then install to the unallocated space and let Windows create the partitions and install. This will completely erase the compute stick memory - including any Windows 8 recovery options that were stored on it.

Windows 10

Also, are you running 32-bit windows or 64-bit? It should be 32-bit.

NavyLCDR, Dec 17, 2015
  14. leostick Win User
    hi, I have compute stick.
    after 10586 update i get freeze either on lockscreen (login) or 1min after login.
    i cant go back to 8.1 coz i didn't keep it.
    everything ok on safe mode. I'm running sfc now.
    i have the feeling that problem is windows edge.
    any solution guys???

leostick, Dec 19, 2015
  15. Dimitris Win User
    I have the same problem with Beelink P2 stick.
    After updating to windows 10--> BUILD 1511, stick never boots.
    Many times Freezing in Desktop screen and that's all.
    I have to mention that the only Windows 10 image that could Be installed was the one that geekbuying Blog, offered.

Dimitris, Feb 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Intel Compute Stick: Same problem on installation Win 10 update 1511 - Similar Threads - Intel Compute Stick

2. Update From Win 10 Version 1511

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update From Win 10 Version 1511: HiI am trying to udate my Dad's old Toshiba P300 Pro laptop to the latest Win 10 version, it was sold with Win 10 1511 installed. Windows update always crashed on reboot. I have checked drivers in device manager, Tried updating in Safe mode and clean boot, checked the memory,...
  3. Update From Win 10 Version 1511

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update From Win 10 Version 1511: HiI am trying to udate my Dad's old Toshiba P300 Pro laptop to the latest Win 10 version, it was sold with Win 10 1511 installed. Windows update always crashed on reboot. I have checked drivers in device manager, Tried updating in Safe mode and clean boot, checked the memory,...
  4. Cannot install Feature updated to Wondows 10, version 20H2 into Intel Compute Stick STK1AW32SC

Cannot install Feature updated to Wondows 10, version 20H2 into Intel Compute Stick STK1AW32SC: Dear Expert, My current version of Intel Compute Stick is 32-bit. Drive C is free space remain 10 GB. And Windows update was downloading Update version 20็็H2 for me Then the system inform me to restart the device in order to install the update. But every time when I...
  5. Win 10 1511 update to Win 10 1903

Win 10 1511 update to Win 10 1903: Had to resurrect a PC with an old disk image (3 years old!). Now the version on the PC is Win 10 Pro 1511 and it won't update because it is out of date. Has anyone try to update from Win 10 1511, or another out of date version, up to Win 10 1903 while retaining user...
  6. Win 10 install on two different drives with same Win key in same computer?

Win 10 install on two different drives with same Win key in same computer?: I have a Win 10 computer (legal upgrade from Win 7) that gives me terrible problems booting up, re-starting, or shutting down. I would repair the install but I'd lose all/many of my other programs. So what I want to do is have a fresh Windows 10 bare install on a second...
  7. Win 10 version 1511 cannot update

Win 10 version 1511 cannot update: I am using a Thinkpad X200s with below specs as my standby working PC, which I have only used occasionally. the automatic upgrading issue has bothered me for quite a long period. Every time the process pop out but never succeeded: either it hang at the pre-boot black screen...
  8. Can't install Win 10 1511 10586 update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't install Win 10 1511 10586 update: Hi, I have been trying to install this update for quite some time now, and actually even waited two weeks to see if this problem wasn't going to resolve itself, but apparently, i'm out of luck. It seems that this update fails to install every time i try to restart. I have...
  9. Intel Compute Stick, first BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intel Compute Stick, first BSOD: Hi BSOD squad, I hope you are able to tell me what caused this BSOD today. Background: Intel Compute Stick, used as HTPC. Never had any issues, works like a charm. Upgraded last night to build 10547 EN-GB x86. Today VPN connection to Finland to watch news from Finnish...
  10. Intel Compute Stick - Installing Windows

Intel Compute Stick - Installing Windows: Hey guys, I have a slight problem. I purchased a Intel Compute Stick STCK1A8LFC and did not realise it was only supported for or came installed with Ubuntu on it. I am trying to install Windows 10 on it. During install I am constantly getting Windows ran into a problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. intel compute stick cant connect to windows update service

2. windows 1903 on intel compustick

3. Windows 10 version 1903 intel compute stick instalation problem

4. intel compute stick windows 10 1903 update no space