Windows 10: Intel releases Thunderbolt 3 protocol to USB Promoter Group

Discus and support Intel releases Thunderbolt 3 protocol to USB Promoter Group in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] In March 2019, Intel Corporation announced that it has contributed the Thunderbolt protocol specification to the USB Promoter Group. The USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

Intel releases Thunderbolt 3 protocol to USB Promoter Group

Source: Intel Takes Steps to Enable Thunderbolt 3 Everywhere, Releases Protocol | Intel Newsroom

:)

Brink, Mar 4, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Intel Announces Plans to Integrate Thunderbolt 3 into Future CPUs

Source: Envision a World with Thunderbolt 3 Technology Everywhere

Brink, Mar 4, 2019
  3. btarunr Win User
    USB 3.0 Promoter Group Announces Plan to Release New Power Delivery Specification

The USB 3.0 Promoter Group is announcing that it is creating a new power delivery specification which will significantly extend the capabilities and usages of cable bus power in USB applications. The new specification will enable delivery of more power via the familiar USB connectors and cables, and will coexist with the USB Battery Charging 1.2 specification and existing USB bus-powered applications.

“Building on the rapidly increasing industry momentum for using USB bus power to charge a broad range of mobile devices, the new USB Power Delivery specification extends USB’s cable power delivery capabilities beyond simple battery charging,” said Brad Saunders, USB 3.0 Promoter Group Chairman. “For example, charging the battery of a notebook PC, or simply powering that notebook PC while actively using the USB data connection, would be possible. Conceivably, a notebook PC could rely solely on a USB connection for its source of power.”

Key characteristics of the forthcoming USB Power Delivery solution include:
    • Compatible with existing cables and connectors
    • Enables voltage and current values to be negotiated over the USB power pins
    • Enables higher voltage and current in order to deliver power up to 100W
    • Switchable source of power delivery without changing cable direction
    • Coexists with USB Battery Charging 1.2 and works equally well with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
    “Building on the rapidly increasing industry momentum for using USB bus power to charge a broad range of mobile devices, the new USB Power Delivery specification extends USB’s cable power delivery capabilities beyond simple battery charging,” said Brad Saunders, USB 3.0 Promoter Group Chairman. “For example, charging the battery of a notebook PC, or simply powering that notebook PC while actively using the USB data connection, would be possible. Conceivably, a notebook PC could rely solely on a USB connection for its source of power.”

The USB Power Delivery specification is targeted for industry review during the final quarter of this year. Further information regarding the specification and plans for a pre-release industry review will be provided at the Intel Developer Forum (IDF), September 13-15, 2011 in San Francisco, California. Early in 2012, the USB 3.0 Promoter Group intends to transition the final specification to the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) for publication and establishment of the ecosystem and associated compliance program.

btarunr, Mar 4, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

PCI Takes on Thunderbolt, Big Worries for its Promoters

Did you know what lies behind the USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt controller? It's of course the bus that connects it to the rest of the system, PCI-Express. It is the 500 MB/s per lane interconnect that is indirectly responsible for the awesome bandwidth that today's plug and play interfaces such as eSATA 6 Gb/s, USB 3.0, and Thunderbolt 10 Gb/s enjoy. What if you could eliminate the protocol overhead that comes with any of those protocols, and make PCI-Express directly an interconnect? So thought the PCI Special Interest Group (SIG), the body that decides the fate of PCI. The SIG is planning to create a cabled version of PCI-Express Gen 3, that has no secondary protocol overhead, not even of the kind Infiniband has.

A single PCI-Express 3.0 lane can provide 8 Gbps (1 GB/s) of bandwidth in each direction, the new cabled interconnect can supply bandwidth of four Gen 3 lanes, totaling 32 Gbps, over three times that of the current version of Thunderbolt. Apart from that bandwidth, cabled PCI-E will be designed to supply 20W of power to its devices, plenty of power for even a small 3-bay HDD rack. The connector itself will be designed to be very compact and flat, so it can be fitted into notebooks and tablets. PCI SIG plans to have the first specifications of cabled PCI-Express ready before June 2013. By 2013, Intel will be about 2 years away from releasing its proposed 50 Gbps version of Thunderbolt, but even then, Thunderbolt is an additional protocol that sits over the system bus (again, PCI-Express), unless Intel designs Thunderbolt controllers to somehow talk to CPU over QPI.

Source: EETimes

btarunr, Mar 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Intel releases Thunderbolt 3 protocol to USB Promoter Group - Similar Threads - Intel releases Thunderbolt

2. Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive: hello all,I spotted this issue around 1.5 month ago when my Thunderbolt 3 port could not recognize the mobile SSD drive a nvme SSD driver normally C to C cable. Problem:The system can read the drive normally if the device is plugged in BEFORE the laptop is turned on. But the...
  3. Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive: hello all,I spotted this issue around 1.5 month ago when my Thunderbolt 3 port could not recognize the mobile SSD drive a nvme SSD driver normally C to C cable. Problem:The system can read the drive normally if the device is plugged in BEFORE the laptop is turned on. But the...
  4. Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to display port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to display port: Hello random willing stranger Today I bought a new usb-c to displayport cable to properly connect my computer to an external monitor because it was time for a new connection cable and I wanted to exploit the thunderbolt supported usb-c port on my laptop and get some lower...
  5. Thunderbolt 3 USB Devices, Device Mgr and Thunderbolt Drivers

Thunderbolt 3 USB Devices, Device Mgr and Thunderbolt Drivers: One topic that may be helpful to thunderbolt 3 users on Win 10. For various reasons you can have thunderbolt 3 usb - c port hardware installed on your win 10 box and may not see thunderbolt 3 drivers present in the device mgr. One reason for this is the thunderbolt drivers...
  6. How to display through thunderbolt 3 with "thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter" and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to display through thunderbolt 3 with "thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter" and...: I have a Lenovo yoga 920 running windows 10, with no HDMI or DisplayPort. I have an apple thunderbolt 3 male/thunderbolt 2 female, adapter. Then I have an old Displayport to HDMI cable. (FYI: thunderbolt 2 and display port used the same connector) When I plug all this...
  7. USB Promoter Group Announces USB4 Specification

in Windows 10 News
    USB Promoter Group Announces USB4 Specification: The USB Promoter Group today announced the pending release of the USB4 specification, a major update to deliver the next generation USB architecture that compliments and builds on the existing USB 3.2 and USB 2.0 architectures. The USB4 architecture is based on the...
  8. thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter

thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter: I have a problem with a thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter. It's actually thunderbolt 3 to HDMI, though it conforms to the displayport spec. When I use my laptop without it connected like at home then put the laptop to sleep and I come into the office and connect it windows...
  9. Intel Announces Plans to Integrate Thunderbolt 3 into Future CPUs

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Announces Plans to Integrate Thunderbolt 3 into Future CPUs: Intel has a long history of leading the industry in I/O innovation. In the late 1990s, Intel developed USB, which made it easier and faster to connect external devices to computers, consolidating a multitude of existing connectors. Intel continues its I/O innovation...
  10. Welcome to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Era

in Windows 10 News
    Welcome to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Era: [img] USB-C has quickly become ubiquitous, and not just on mobile devices: This incredibly versatile connectivity standard is now pervasive on modern PCs as well. When combined with Thunderbolt 3, it’s nearly perfect. So much so, in fact, that Microsoft needs to adopt...