Windows 10: Intel Removing Legacy BIOS Support from Motherboard UEFI in 2020

Discus and support Intel Removing Legacy BIOS Support from Motherboard UEFI in 2020 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Intel is working on a plan to remove so-called "last-mile" barriers to killing off legacy BIOS by requiring UEFI Class 3, which doesn't expose legacy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Intel Removing Legacy BIOS Support from Motherboard UEFI in 2020

Read more: Intel: We're ending all legacy BIOS support by 2020 | ZDNet

See also: http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/fi...ntel_Final.pdf

Brink, Nov 19, 2017
  2. eLPuSHeR Win User

I am worried about this decision. Let's see what happens at 2020. I am still happily using MBR.

:)

eLPuSHeR, Nov 20, 2017
  3. Switched BIOS from Legacy to UEFI, motherboard no longer recognizes OS

Hello,

Long story short, after reinstalling Windows (Where I had to change BIOS to boot from USB over SSD), I had an issue where I could not access BIOS after the install. When restarting Advanced, the UEFI settings simply were not there and I could not access
    BIOS by any other method. I looked into my diagnostics and saw my BIOS was labeled as "Legacy." I entered a command into cmp to convert from Legacy to UEFI, but afterwards the motherboards does not recognize the SSD at all and just reboots. Windows was working
    fine after the re-install and before this.

This morning I was able to enter BIOS and switched a setting to recognize Legacy at boot, but that doesn't work.

I know one solution is to re-install Windows again, but for multiple reasons I really don't want to do that for the SSD unless there is a way to preserve all 500GB of data on it. I do have a spare 1TB HDD, though. Is there a solution to have the motherboard
    recognize the SSD? If I have to reinstall Windows to change settings, can I do that on the HDD and then reinsert the SSD? I can't clone the harddrives either to or from, trying to do so is what caused the original issues before this and led to my computer
    being unusable for weeks and resulted in multiple calls to Microsoft support to fix.

Thank you

DavidRodriguez3, Nov 20, 2017
  4. WayneRupp Win User

Getting into bios

Frederik,

Thank you for your moderating influence and contribution.

Gregory is legacy bios and does not have the option to boot to UEFI settings in Advanced Startup Options.

Running reagentc /BootToRe from elevated command prompt simply takes him to ASO menu, but without the UEFI menu listing because he is legacy bios.

Seems rather odd that a two year old motherboard would not be UEFI..... or contain both legacy and UEFI options.

Any thoughts on that?

Wayne

WayneRupp, Nov 20, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Long overdue - why anybody would use MBR for windows on new devices is a mystery to me.

You can convert mbr installation to gpt using mbr2gpt as in tutorial in tutorial section.

cereberus, Nov 20, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    It is only for new devices.

cereberus, Nov 20, 2017
  7. Plankton Win User
    For me it has to do with booting. If I have just the UEFI enabled I can't use the F12 key at post beep to boot from USB. I have to have it set to UEFI and Legacy or just Legacy. Hell, my mobo is only 3 yrs old.

Plankton, Nov 20, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

On new boards, you just have to temporarily turn of Fast Boot in BIOS(with my MSI board I can do that from inside of Windows) and turn off Fast Startup in Power Options.

Cliff S, Nov 20, 2017
  9. Joanne Win User
  10. Plankton Win User
    Plankton, Nov 20, 2017
  11. lx07 Win User
    Funnily enough I ran it on 1st gen i5 (shouldn't be affected) but it says

"Based on the analysis performed by this tool: Detection Error: This system may be vulnerable." Hmmm.

12. Is your USB stick configured for EFI boot? that should be a simple fix.

FuturDreamz, Nov 20, 2017
  13. Plankton Win User

Good to know.....and I don't know. Is there a ways to set the MS MCT to UEFI

Plankton, Nov 20, 2017
  14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

It creates boot files for both legacy and UEFI.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Intel Removing Legacy BIOS Support from Motherboard UEFI in 2020 - Similar Threads - Intel Removing Legacy

2. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.: im wanting to enable virtualization but thats impossible with legacy bios as the only thing in boot is troubleshoot>>>advanced options>>>startup options. and thats it, so if you know how to enable virtualization wthout need uefi please help, or if you know how to check if my...
  3. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.: im wanting to enable virtualization but thats impossible with legacy bios as the only thing in boot is troubleshoot>>>advanced options>>>startup options. and thats it, so if you know how to enable virtualization wthout need uefi please help, or if you know how to check if my...
  4. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Bios swap legacy to uefi

Bios swap legacy to uefi: Motherboard/cpu upgraded ready for win 11. How to reinstall win 10 digital license to use new uefi bios. No facility for doing this. only gives option for retail licence install of win 10.trying to get system ready for win 11 but this is an obstacle to installation...
  6. Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem: I have a DELL Optilex 990 so when I go to my bios I go to Boot Sequence then I switch to UEFI and the Boot Sequence is empty. When I boot up my Device it says no bootable devices found. How do I fix this. Please tell me the file path to Windows Boot Manager because I still...
  7. Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS: Hello,First time posting here. I want to change from LEGACY to UEFI, I'm thinking:Will the computer be able to boot?I use it regularly, and I hope it works after this changover!I am not a computer geek. But I do know how to get into BIOS.Thanks...
  8. Legacy BIOS Boot Support Removal for Intel Platform

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Legacy BIOS Boot Support Removal for Intel Platform: Intel Announcement Legacy BIOS Boot Support Removal for Intel Platforms Technical Advisory 163551
  9. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  10. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......: This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10. I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mainboard doesnt support legacy boot

2. UEFI take over 2020

3. can i get new bios for my motherboard uefi to legacy option

4. intel removing legacy bios 2018