Windows 10: Intel Security Issue Update: Progress Continues on Firmware Updates

Discus and support Intel Security Issue Update: Progress Continues on Firmware Updates in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Intel continues to work closely with industry partners to protect customers against the security exploits disclosed by Google Project Zero. As I shared... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Intel Security Issue Update: Progress Continues on Firmware Updates

Source: https://newsroom.intel.com/news/secu...mware-updates/

Brink, Feb 7, 2018
  2. EdTittel Win User

Thanks for staying on top of this, Brink. It's always interesting to watch how long things take to percolate through the OEMs and the motherboard makers. We may see another round of firmware update next month, I'm guessing. MS just came out with firmware updates on 2/6 to "undo" the first hurry-up round that came out earlier in January. I shared my recent fix experiences in a recent blog post: Timely Firmware Update Rescues Surface Pro 3 - Windows Enterprise Desktop. Thanks again,
    --Ed--

:)

EdTittel, Feb 7, 2018
  3. suat.cini Win User
    Unable to update the BIOS

What was the reason Dell sent you a BIOS update ?

Can you also give the model designation of your Dell computer so that we can look up if you have the latest BIOS ?

But my guess is, the link Dell sent you does not contain a BIOS update. It contains a FIRMWARE update coming from Intel.

Recently, there happened to be a Security Advisory bulletin regarding Intel® Active Management Technology,
    Intel® Small Business Technology, and Intel® Standard Manageability.

Intel Security Advisory Bulletin

DELL Security Bulletin

HP also released a firmware update in May 2017.

Since this is not a BIOS update, the installation of this firmware may be different for Dell computers. It was definitely different for my HP notebook.

I prepared a DOS-bootable USB flash drive and copied contents of the firmware update files. I then booted to the USB flash drive and ran the DOS command to install the firmware update.

Hope the info is useful.

suat.cini, Feb 7, 2018
  4. Yolvi Ell Win User

is this a scam?

Hi Jonathan,

Microsoft is aware that a security vulnerability was recently discovered, affecting several manufacturers and many devices and applications. We're already working with Intel in the interest of our customers. We understand that hardware and software updates
    both need to be installed to be fully protected against these chip-related security flaws.

Intel released this
    article
    on January 22, 2018 regarding their most recent firmware update. They mentioned that they're already working around the clock to address the issues of the initial firmware update that caused more problems for their users.

We've also posted an article about protecting your device against chip-related security vulnerabilities. You can find it

here
    . While waiting for Intel to release a working firmware update, make sure to keep Windows and your antivirus software up-to-date to minimize the security risks on your computer.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further concerns.

----

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Yolvi Ell, Feb 7, 2018
  5. Has Microsoft said anything about eventually pushing out the CPU microcode update through Windows Update?

Ground Sloth, Feb 7, 2018
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Intel Newsroom:

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/secu...mware-updates/

*Wink), then you can revert back to the old one.

Cliff S, Feb 8, 2018
  7. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Feb 8, 2018
  8. Intel Security Issue Update: Progress Continues on Firmware Updates

Hi,
    I sure wouldn't want MS pushing out a bios update
    Flashing bios is risky enough and personally I do not want an update attempting to flash my bios *Biggrin
    The update system is bad enough as it is start bricking mother boards and that will kiss the baby as far as 10 goes.

ThrashZone, Feb 8, 2018
  9. Faith Win User
    More "bla bla bla" from Intel. Looking forward to these microcodes failing aswell... I'm definitely not holding my breath, nor will I BIOS-rush any of my computers until the consensus is out. Fool me once, fool me twice and all that... You can try and eat me too, I'm quite salty.

Faith, Feb 8, 2018
  10. Cr00zng Win User
    I don't believe that Microsoft will ever get to the point of pushing out BIOS/EUFI updates. Nor do they need to...

As far as I know...

Windows has the ability to warm patch microcode on boot using the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll and mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll drivers (located at C:\Windows\System32) on boot, for Intel and AMD cpu's respectively. On my system the current versions are:

Intel Security Issue Update: Progress Continues on Firmware Updates [​IMG]

These drivers are simple blocks of microcode and cpu identifying information - contain the latest microcode for the system cpu during boot. Windows loads the microcode from these drivers instead, overwriting the microcode that is included with the firmware, without being committed to flash. This takes place prior to the Windows initialization, so, seemingly there's no partial exposure issues.

The draw back of having the latest microcode in the driver is that, at the time of reboot the latest microcode is lost. While for most people, this is not an issue; however, should one re-install Windows (starting fresh), the microcode maybe vulnerable to Spectre and other exploits, if and when the the BIOS/EUFI has not been updated that includes microcode that not vulnerable. Once the reinstalled Windows updated to the latest patches, it may have the latest microcode in the driver and no longer vulnerable. Provided Intel gets their act together...

This is not a specific process that exists in Windows only, other operating systems, like Linux, MacOS, etc., act pretty much the same way on the x86 system with BIOS/UFI/EUFI firmware. One could make the argument that other operating system have been doing this longer than Windows...

Personally, I don't see the need for updating the BIOS/EUFI with the latest operating systems. If the motherboard manufacturers have the fixed microcode for Intel/AMD CPUs, so will Microsoft and they will push it out with the next update. Relax people...

Cr00zng, Feb 8, 2018
  11. Kbird Win User
    It does , I am not sure how effective it is , not going to get into that, but it is fairly easy to check it , especially if you use the attached Batch File (below), I made a few weeks back after seeing another post on this....(and posted here on 10 somewhere) , the Pic is my current Bios and Window's MC , however it does not mean I pass the GRC Flaw test for example on my X99 based 5820k CPU , which I suspect Queries the CPU itself.

KB

Kbird, Feb 9, 2018
  12. Joanne Win User

Joanne, Feb 9, 2018
  13. Cr00zng Win User

On my i5-3350P system, the Windows MC is replacing the BIOS microcode:

The BIOS version in the Ivy Bridge system is F11 from 2012. The newer F12 version is available, but it is from 2013 and has no microcode update. AFAIK....

On the other hand, in the i5-8400 system the BIOS microcode is not replaced by Windows MC:

Both systems have the exact same mcupdate*.dll files, including the dates. The chances are that Microsoft rolled back the microcode update at the end of January, that had been released at the beginning of January, but will not override newer version of the microcode.

The BIOS version in the i5-8400 is 0606, dated as:

The 0607 version is available as of 02.02.18, but it does not include microcode updates.

The HWiNFO64 is nice, it does detect the BIOS (rather EUFI) version correctly, but the date is incorrect:

Cr00zng, Feb 9, 2018
  14. Cr00zng Win User
    Thanks for MC.bat file...

Cr00zng, Feb 9, 2018
  15. EdTittel Win User
    Happy to see my old trusty Lenovo units, T520 and X220 Tablet, show up recently on the company's list of platforms for which microcode patches are planned. For those who also own Lenovo devices, here's the link to their list of planned patches, still forthcoming: Reading Privileged Memory with a Side Channel. Still no word from Asrock, though.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Intel Security Issue Update: Progress Continues on Firmware Updates - Similar Threads - Intel Security Issue

2. Firmware update issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firmware update issues: At first , I tell you to look attached photo. I am facing the error after updating optional updates. When I update the driver ,It showed me to restart my pc. And i did it that,at time time of updating when the light on my pc's dispaly I showed me a warning under the lenovo...
  3. Firmware update issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firmware update issues: At first , I tell you to look attached photo. I am facing the error after updating optional updates. When I update the driver ,It showed me to restart my pc. And i did it that,at time time of updating when the light on my pc's dispaly I showed me a warning under the lenovo...
  4. Intel NUC Firmware update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Intel NUC Firmware update: I would like to upgrade my firmware on my Intel NUC computer. can I do that without losing my OS (Windows 10) and data? thanks, gabril 184089
  5. Intel NUC Firmware update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Intel NUC Firmware update: I would like to upgrade my firmware on my Intel NUC computer. can I do that without losing my OS (Windows 10) and data? thanks, gabril 184089
  6. Issues with firmware update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues with firmware update: Hi, I am Masum. I have a HP pro-book 650G laptop. Due to some issues, I had to reset my PC. After window update, my PC was unable to update firmware that came with windows update. Every time i reboot my PC, it shows the message that, "Please wait until the system update" on...
  7. UPDATE INTEL ME FIRMWARE FOR CONVERGED SECURITY & MANAGEMENT ENGINE ISSUES IN INTEL...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UPDATE INTEL ME FIRMWARE FOR CONVERGED SECURITY & MANAGEMENT ENGINE ISSUES IN INTEL...: Kaspersky Password Manager Create a strong password for your account Intel was notified of an issue with the Intel® Converged Security and Management Engine (Intel® CSME) firmware. An attacker with physical access could do the following on an individual platform: Bypass...
  8. UPDATE INTEL ME FIRMWARE FOR POWER MANAGEMENT CONTROLLER SECURITY VULNERABILITY IN INTEL...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UPDATE INTEL ME FIRMWARE FOR POWER MANAGEMENT CONTROLLER SECURITY VULNERABILITY IN INTEL...: Kaspersky Password Manager Create a strong password for your account Intel has identified a firmware security vulnerability. It allows an attacker with administrative privileges to gain unauthorized access to platform features and sensitive information protected by the...
  9. INTEL SSDSC2CT120A3 firmware update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    INTEL SSDSC2CT120A3 firmware update: Hello, I would like to update the firmware of my SSD, INTEL SSDSC2CT120A3, but Google gives me results of Intel® SSD 330 Series. I don't know if my SSD model is Intel® SSD 330 50515
  10. Intel Offers Security Issue Update

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Offers Security Issue Update: To best ensure security of our customers’ data, we are working with the industry to develop and distribute software and firmware mitigations for the exploit methods disclosed by Google Project Zero (also known as “Spectre” and “Meltdown”). As of now, we have not received any...