Windows 10: Intel socket 2011 will v1/2/3 CPU's fit

Discus and support Intel socket 2011 will v1/2/3 CPU's fit in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there Hardware gurus out there. If I buy an ASUS Mobo with an intel 2011 socket -- will I be able to fit Intel I7 cpu's with 2011 v1, intel 2011... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Nov 25, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Intel socket 2011 will v1/2/3 CPU's fit

Hi there

Hardware gurus out there.
    If I buy an ASUS Mobo with an intel 2011 socket -- will I be able to fit Intel I7 cpu's with 2011 v1, intel 2011 v2 or intel 2011 v3 sockets into the mobo.

Getting right combination of socket and mobo seems quite complex these days.

I'm Ok at actually putting hardware together but I need to select the correct components in the first place.

My last "Home build!" was a few years ago for an XP machine (now successfully running W10).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 25, 2015
  2. roykela Win User

Windows 10 Lowered my Internet speed to 1/3 of what it used to be

Make and model of the computer:

• MSI X79A-GD45(8D) Socket 2011 Motherboard
    • Intel Core i7-3820 Socket-LGA2011 CPU
    • Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 8GB (2x4GB)
    • Corsair Powersupply 750W ATX/EPS
    • Intel (R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
    It's a computer that was put together at home 2 years ago.

Everything was fine and dandy with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Now i'm on Windows 10 Home.

No third-party security apps running. Only Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

I have tried the network troubleshooter and it can't find anything.

roykela, Nov 25, 2015
  3. AuToFiRE Win User
    Windows 10 only recognizes and uses half available RAM

Asus X99-Deluxe

Intel socket 2011-v3 5820k

16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666

CPU-Z reports all 4, 4gb DIMMs operating in quad channel totaling 16gb

Both task manager, system details and resource monitor all report 8gb

Bug?

AuToFiRE, Nov 25, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

I would visit Asus's site and have a look at CPU Support list for this motherboard. It is the safest way, just buy a supported CPU.

spapakons, Nov 25, 2015
  5. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    No, the 2011 socket types are not backward compatible as far as I know. You must match the correct processor class to the MB socket type.

From Wikipedia: "Updated socket generations are physically similar to LGA 2011, but the used electrical signals and ILM keying prevent them from being backward compatible with older CPUs."

The LGA 2011 socket is used by Sandy Bridge-E/EP and Ivy Bridge-E/EP processors with the corresponding X79 (E – enthusiast class) and C600-series (EP – Xeon class) chipsets.

LGA 2011-1 is used for Ivy Bridge-EX (Xeon E7 v2) CPUs.

LGA 2011-v3 (also referred to as LGA 2011-3) is another updated generation of the socket, used for Haswell-E and Haswell-EP CPUs.

My procedure is to settle on a processor I want to use and then determine the compatible MB socket to go with it.
    Choosing the motherboard first works just as well, but you may be corralled into using a compatible processor that is either too expensive, unavailable, or complete overkill.

6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks guys for the info.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Intel socket 2011 will v1/2/3 CPU's fit - Similar Threads - Intel socket 2011

2. CPU Ripped out of socket

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU Ripped out of socket: I was replacing thermal paste on my cpu. But when I took the coole off the cpu was stuck to it. And when I put the cpu back in the socket the computer starts but eith black screen. I have looked for bent pins and there isn't any....
  3. CPU Ripped out of socket

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU Ripped out of socket: I was replacing thermal paste on my cpu. But when I took the coole off the cpu was stuck to it. And when I put the cpu back in the socket the computer starts but eith black screen. I have looked for bent pins and there isn't any....
  4. Intel Cpu Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intel Cpu Problem: Hello! I've been suffering this for half a month now, please tell me how to fix this and I've been getting lags spikes on game or even on G-meet and getitng some more heat, this is not like this before that I got this Acer Aspire 5. And I know the cause of this CPU problem...
  5. Motherboard CPU socket...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Motherboard CPU socket...: I'm trying to update my CPU - I purchased the Intel Core i5 9400 LGA1151... it does not fit in the socket of my motherboard. How can I find out the socket size if I do not have the original motherboard manual or anything?...
  6. M.2 Socket (Optane memory) Question.

M.2 Socket (Optane memory) Question.: I have been thinking about installing another SSD in mydesktop. I have a ASUS PRIME B360M-A Motherboard that came with 16GB Optane memory in the M.2_2 socket that I never set up or used. This is what the manual says. Expansion Capabilities One PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot...
  7. SMB v1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMB v1: How do I enable SMB v1 on my windows 10 computers Please,, plain english Thanks for any help!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/smb-v1/f4c8d9ed-2619-4225-b5d1-471592fbd837"
  8. Cpu 2 and cpu 3 Disable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cpu 2 and cpu 3 Disable: Hi, I state that I do not speak English, so my syntax will not be the best. I have this problem, when I play the processor it works at 50% fixed, I opened the Task Manager and I noticed that cpu2-3 are disable, no parked. I went on activity management, I clicked on the game,...
  9. Intel CPU not supported.

Intel CPU not supported.: I was hoping to move from Win7 to Win10 but when a check is done for computer compatability I get the message - ! CPU The CPU isn't supported (NX) Memory OK Disk space OK The CPU is an " Intel(R) Core(TM)2 duo CPU E7400 @ 2,8GHz 2.79GHz The message ends up...
  10. Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ?: Hi. My brother in law has asked me if I can install broadband in his shed, he has shown me photos of the wired sockets he has but he is unsure what they are and I can't tell for sure from that pic. Could you tell me if that socket in the photo is for a ethernet plug or a...