Windows 10: Interaction between applications running with different rights

Discus and support Interaction between applications running with different rights in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have 2 Lenovo small form factor PCs, both running Windows 10 Pro and both set up identically to open and run a labelling application whenever it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BlobbyBlobby, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Interaction between applications running with different rights

I have 2 Lenovo small form factor PCs, both running Windows 10 Pro and both set up identically to open and run a labelling application whenever it is launched from either the usual file associations through file explorer, or via hyperlinks in an excel spreadsheet. Both PCs are standard user accounts (no choice there). The apps in question (according to taskmanager) are basically EXCEL.EXE, bartend.exe and explorer.exe (file explorer).

When all three of these apps have the same permissions, they all interact no problem - the working PC shows all three apps as having no elevated rights.

But on the faulty PC, bartend.exe will only ever run with elevated rights and hangs if you try to run it without. Double click one of its associated files in file explorer to open in the application itself, it hangs as explorer.exe is not itself elevated, even though bartend.exe is already running, but elevated. Click on a hyperlink in excel.exe, same thing if excel.exe is not elevated - however, run excel.exe again but this time elevated, and the same hyperlink works perfectly. There also seems to be some odd double interaction with file associations for the bartend.exe app, one for when it has elevated rights, and one broken-looking one for, I presume, lower.

All of this may by obvious, but what isn't obvious is how the hell do you stop an application from only ever running elevated? Plenty of advice on google to grant an application admin rights, but nothing on getting it to run without.

:)

BlobbyBlobby, Jun 18, 2019

2. an application can not interact with a desktop

We use the IIS to build our website. In an aspx.cs program, we execute an application that is supposed to interact with a user. It turns out that the application can not interact with the user. We understand that the aspx.cs is runs inside "w3wp" process,
    so is never given right to spawn process that is interactive with desktop. The following steps are provided by some web pages to solve this problem. However, these steps do not solve our problem. Can anyone tell us how to solve the problem?

1. Right-click
    My Computer and from the drop down menu click
    Manage

2. From the
    Services and Applications menu, click Services.

3. From the right scroll down menu, double-click
    Task Scheduler.

4. Click the
    Log On tab, select the Local System Account and
    Allow Service to Interact with Desktop options, and then click
    Apply.

5. Click the
    General tab, click Start.

which can be found in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223170

立祥陳1, Jun 18, 2019
  3. Process running but not starting in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are unable to run applications on Windows 10. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may be due to application conflicts.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the explorer issue.

• Press Alt+ctr+Del from Desktop.

• Select Task Manager.

• Under process tab, locate the apps that are running.

• Right Click on the application and select End Task.

• Please try accessing the application again and check if you are able to run the application.
    If the issue persists, I suggest you to run
    the program in Compatibility mode, please follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Program
    • Click on Properties
    • Click on Compatibility tab
    • Select Run this program in compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 18, 2019
  4. tdehan Win User

Interaction between applications running with different rights

Open With opens with different application then the one selected

Can someone please provide the steps to fix this? This is maddening!

I just upgraded to Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 and now it doesn't even show up in the list of Open With applications.

I don't want Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 to be the default application to open image files as I use numerous different applications to work on my images. I just want it to be an option in the Open With list.

How do I get Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 to show up in the list of Open With applications and how do I confirm that when I select it to open a file it actually opens instead of some different application.

Thanks

tdehan, Jun 18, 2019
Thema:

Interaction between applications running with different rights

1. Interaction between applications running with different rights - Similar Threads - Interaction between applications

2. Match font size between different applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Match font size between different applications: OS: Win 11Problem: File explorer and system dialog font sizes don't match font size settings, and are far too small to read - see screenshot.Detail: System dialog and file explorer font sizes don't match the rest of the environment. File explorer font size is very small, and...
  3. Match font size between different applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Match font size between different applications: OS: Win 11Problem: File explorer and system dialog font sizes don't match font size settings, and are far too small to read - see screenshot.Detail: System dialog and file explorer font sizes don't match the rest of the environment. File explorer font size is very small, and...
  4. The Interactions Between Office and Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Interactions Between Office and Onedrive: Fresh installs of Windows 10 and Office 365 subscription.Excel spreadsheet on OneDrive.Shared link to that Excel file.Clicking on that file opens it in a web version of Excel that has a reduced features.Why won't it open it in the installed Excel?Is there any way or setting...
  5. The Interactions Between Office and Onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Interactions Between Office and Onedrive: Fresh installs of Windows 10 and Office 365 subscription.Excel spreadsheet on OneDrive.Shared link to that Excel file.Clicking on that file opens it in a web version of Excel that has a reduced features.Why won't it open it in the installed Excel?Is there any way or setting...
  6. The Interactions Between Office and Onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. What is the difference between an app and an application in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is the difference between an app and an application in Windows 10?: Apparently, since Windows 8 there has been a meaningful technical distinction between a Windows app and a Windows application, and the distinction became somehow more significant in Windows 10. Thinking this was a rather simple question that wouldn't take long to answer, I...
  8. Can you run different applications of different networks?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can you run different applications of different networks?: Basically, when streaming Im trying to run an online game, but the stress of the stream causes me to lag in game. So I was wondering if there was a way to tether my 4g from my phone to my pc JUST to play the game, while using my normal network connection to run the stream!...
  9. Difference between

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Difference between: Is there a significant difference between the 14" Pavilion Laptop and the 14" Stream Laptop? Thanks. Sean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between/c649a7f5-03d2-4ee9-9dab-d71a780e228f
  10. and Difference between

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    and Difference between: What is the difference between defender definition updates KB915597 and KB2267602? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/and-difference-between/090c74ba-f728-4424-ab7c-759bf9453aaf