Windows 10: Interaction Between Bitlocker and a Virtual Hard Drive VHD in a RAID 1 Volume on Windows 10

Discus and support Interaction Between Bitlocker and a Virtual Hard Drive VHD in a RAID 1 Volume on Windows 10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a RAID 1 mirroring volume on two SSD's in my system, and I have gotten Bitlocker to encrypt this volume by setting up a virtual hard drive VHD... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Iratium, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Iratium Win User

Interaction Between Bitlocker and a Virtual Hard Drive VHD in a RAID 1 Volume on Windows 10

I have a RAID 1 mirroring volume on two SSD's in my system, and I have gotten Bitlocker to encrypt this volume by setting up a virtual hard drive VHD on the volume and setting it to the size of the volume. This is a bit of a workaround because Bitlocker only works with hardware RAID configurations, where I am only able to run a software RAID configuration. Even though my VHD is in the software RAID, Windows recognizes it as a separate physical disk and allows encryption. Additionally, I am using a TPM through Intel Platform Trust Technology, though my system does not have a dedicated TPM.

I am curious as to how recovering my data will work, should the need arise; specifically:

1. If one of the SSD's fails, will the remaining drives and VHD function as normal?
    2. Will the VHD and/or RAID configuration interfere with recovery in any way TPM/PIN/Recovery Key/Startup Key/Recovery Password?
    3. Will migrating to a new system motherboard and CPU be affected?

I realize Bitlocker is likely not supposed to work with software RAID for these kinds of scenarios, but still seems like an arbitrary restriction on what I can do with my data.

:)

Iratium, Jan 15, 2021

2. windows 10 bitlocker vhd connection error

Hello.

I'm using two physical hard drives encrypted with bitlocker as FDE(full disk encryption).

And I have one virtual hard drive encrypted with bitlocker in one of the two drives like below.

C:\ // bitlocker FDE, OS installed, Windows 10 Pro 1903 (64-bit)

D:\ // bitlocker FDE, for data storage

D:\my_secrets.vhd // virtual hard drive encrypted with bitlocker

And I assigned driver letter to X:\ for when the vhd file is connected.

last week, when I connected to the vhd file(my_secrets.vhd),

there are a error message with "the parameter is incorrect".

To solve this error, I looked disk management.

I could see X:\ drive file system is not NTFS but "unknown" (encrypted with bitlocker)

Then, I just removed assigned driver letter from registry and rebooted.

After rebooting, I connected the vhd file. And the connection was successful, assigned as F:\ drive letter.

But, today, the same problem is issued.

When I try to connect the vhd file, I can see same error message.

How can I solve this problem?

ps. I have copied vhd file to new one, but it's not solved after a few connections and booting.

Thanks.

UndyingJaguar47, Jan 15, 2021
  3. Matt72127 Win User
    Anniversary update & bitlocker encryted vhd drive problem

what i found about my case is almost exactly in this post:

BitLocker protected VHD volume corrupted

My case:

Drive C: encrypted with Mcafee, on this drive there is VHD file encrypted with bitlocker. After copying VHD file to drive E: and decrypting C: and then updating to Anniversary update all I can do is to mount VHD and OS ask me to format this virtual drive,
    and it is seen as RAW partition. Deinstalling Anniversary update does not help.

Maciek

Matt72127, Jan 15, 2021
  4. Drone Win User

Interaction Between Bitlocker and a Virtual Hard Drive VHD in a RAID 1 Volume on Windows 10

VHD to virtual PC

What does it mean? *Confused Interaction Between Bitlocker and a Virtual Hard Drive VHD in a RAID 1 Volume on Windows 10 :confused: VHD is a hard drive of a virtual machine which (by default) can be opened by Microsoft Virtual PC

Drone, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Interaction Between Bitlocker and a Virtual Hard Drive VHD in a RAID 1 Volume on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Interaction Between Bitlocker

2. Setup RAID 1 between 2 SSD on Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setup RAID 1 between 2 SSD on Windows 10 Home: One of my coworkers asked me to install a new server that we will use at our work place, asking me to setup a RAID 1 between 2 brand new SSD. I started my research, setuping the Bios to manage the RAID mod, making sure the 2 SSD are the same and usable for a RAID 1, but when...
  3. How to image 2 hard drives with raid 1

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to image 2 hard drives with raid 1: I am replacing old hard drives before they go bad. Hard drives are 8 years old. I have made many single hard drive images with macrium reflect but never with 2 drives and raid 1. Wanted to get some input on how to do it or point me in the right direction to find out how....
  4. Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD: I have a TB to choose from and I Made it 1,000,000,000,000,000TB to see if it was a 1,000YB which I went online to see how much it was and it said 1000 that is 1,000 YB but on my computer, after it was formatting it said 1024.98 GB and then I thought to my self boy that...
  5. VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason

VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason: Hey community, i've recently recovered Virtual hard disk that I forgot I had. Given the fact I am dangerously low on storage, I am now planning on using this for games and other personal files. I am now currently running the installer for a game and the VHD keeps closing...
  6. Windows 10, bitlocker on RAID 1 hardisk ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10, bitlocker on RAID 1 hardisk ?: Hello, I cant see option about bitlocker on my raid 1 array data disk, anyone have this ? It work properly on my c:, cant on my d: (raid 1) Thanks submitted by /u/diapoelledicietla [link] [comments]...
  7. VHD (Virtual Hard Drives) are suddenly ejecting from Windows 10

VHD (Virtual Hard Drives) are suddenly ejecting from Windows 10: Hello guys! I am using a Surface Go (With 120 GB of storage) running Windows 10 Home x64 1803, and I have a storage problem. I am running out of space on my C: Drive. I have no USB support (Attaching an OTG (On-the-go) Cable will break it), I have a micro SD card but is for...
  8. HH drive shows as intel raid 1 volume do not have raid set up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HH drive shows as intel raid 1 volume do not have raid set up: I have 2 Samsung SSD (one boot) and one wd caviar black hdd that use for other storage. No raid is set. In bios it shows the correct model for the 3 but in the device manager the HDD shows as intel raid 1 volume. The size and everything is correct for the drive. Although I...
  9. Can you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows...

Can you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows...: Can you (or should you) Defragment and Optimize an Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID 1 Volume or should you just leave the Volume alone? My Configuration: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel Rapid Storage Technology Version 14.5.0.1081 Volume1: 2 x 2 TB Seagate Desktop...
  10. RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives

RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives: My custom build is now about a year old. Whe n I first set it up, I configured hardware RAID 1 and the fresh windows install worked perfect. Now after a few upgrades the drives are not seen as a RAID anymore but 1 separate drives. Funny thing is when I mounted on a...