Windows 10: interaction of UAC, discoverability, and network profile

Discus and support interaction of UAC, discoverability, and network profile in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After my last clean reinstallation of Win10 I had trouble access my NAS drives. I have everything working now, but I don't really understand what I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pokeefe0001, Oct 2, 2016.

1. interaction of UAC, discoverability, and network profile

After my last clean reinstallation of Win10 I had trouble access my NAS drives. I have everything working now, but I don't really understand what I did and how it works. And I know my future holds more clean installs so I want to understand what I did.

Some background:
    • I'm paranoid so have my UAC set to it's highest value.
    • Accessing my NASs seems to require using the "Private" network profile and setting "Make this PC discoverable".
    • #1 prevents #2 so I lowered the UAC long enough to change the network settings and then set it back up.

1st question: Was the high UAC setting just preventing changing the network setting, or is it preventing something else in network discovery that will bite me in the future? I'm having trouble believing that lowering the UAC just long enough to change the network settings is actually all that was required.

2nd question: I'm not aware of doing anything other than setting "Make this PC discoverable", but suddenly I was using the "Private" network profile. Are these just two ways of saying the same thing, or did I have to do something more to switch to the "Private" profile?

3rd question: If "Make this PC discoverable" and using the Private network profile are not the same thing, which was needed to get network discovery of my NASs working. (Prior to changing the setting, Windows10 could see the devices on my LAN bu no SMB connection could be established.)

:)

pokeefe0001, Oct 2, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

"Make This PC Discoverable" switch missing

That switch only appears if your UAC setting is not at the maximum level.

Just put it back to the default setting, change the network's property to make the computer discoverable and then put UAC back to its maximum if you wish.

1 Start menu, Windows system, Control panel, User accounts, Change user account control settings

2 Start menu, Settings, Network, Wifi / Ethernet, Manage known networks, {select the network concerned}, Properties, Make this PC discoverable

Denis

Tryx3, Oct 2, 2016
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    How do you change a network name or location on Windows 10?

To set the location as private -

Firstly, you need to set UAC to its default level in Control panel, User accounts, Manage User account control settings.

You can then change it to a private network by setting it to allow the computer to be discoverable in Settings, Network, Status, Change connection properties, Make this PC discoverable.

You can then put UAC back to its highest level if you wish. [and the setting you just changed will no longer be visible]

Denis

Tryx3, Oct 2, 2016
Thema:

interaction of UAC, discoverability, and network profile

1. interaction of UAC, discoverability, and network profile - Similar Threads - interaction UAC discoverability

2. PC not discoverable on network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not discoverable on network.: Hello, I am trying to set up two computers on my network so that they can share a folder between them. I followed a video that explained how to enable network discoverability through the network share center.Here is a quick list of what I did. 1 turned on "network discover on...
  3. PC not discoverable on network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not discoverable on network.: Hello, I am trying to set up two computers on my network so that they can share a folder between them. I followed a video that explained how to enable network discoverability through the network share center.Here is a quick list of what I did. 1 turned on "network discover on...
  4. PC not discoverable on network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wifi Network is not discoverable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi Network is not discoverable: Hi all,I am having an issue with seeing my wifi network. I have tried restarting my computer, changing adapter settings, and even restarted my router...but I cannot get my computer to find my wifi network.Very frustrating!! If anyone can offer some troubleshooting tips it...
  6. Wifi Network is not discoverable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi Network is not discoverable: Hi all,I am having an issue with seeing my wifi network. I have tried restarting my computer, changing adapter settings, and even restarted my router...but I cannot get my computer to find my wifi network.Very frustrating!! If anyone can offer some troubleshooting tips it...
  7. Samba network printer not discoverable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samba network printer not discoverable: i have been playing a lot with my raspberry pi 4 recently and i tried converting my old printer into a network printer using cups and samba. for some reason when i pull up settings or control panel its nowhere to be seen, i have checked it with other devices such as a phone...
  8. Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network

Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network: Some of the PCs at work are defining the network as "Domain Network". These PCs are neither discovering the other PCs on the same network, nor they are discoverable to the other PCs. On the other hand, some other PCs are defining the same domain network as "Private Network",...
  9. discoverability of computer on local network

discoverability of computer on local network: How do I change the discover options on my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/discoverability-of-computer-on-local-network/f1c6c210-ebcb-444f-a6af-6d2d612a192f
  10. Make computer not discoverable on network ?

Make computer not discoverable on network ?: I just connected to a network, and when prompted if I want other computers to be able to find this one, I clicked 'yes' by mistake. How can I change that to 'no' ? 22664