Windows 10: Intermitent Boot Up Failure

Discus and support Intermitent Boot Up Failure in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have intermittent boot up failures happening. Each time I fix it, it is a matter of days and then it happens again. This time all it took to "fix" it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kwgagel, May 22, 2020.

1. kwgagel Win User

Intermitent Boot Up Failure

I have intermittent boot up failures happening. Each time I fix it, it is a matter of days and then it happens again. This time all it took to "fix" it was changing the boot order in my BIOS settings. I'm very confused by what's happening.

It's Windows 10, 1909 OS build 18363.836. 32 Gb RAM with 2 Tb NvME storage.
    Storage is Samsung SSD 970 EVO and the software for it shows no issues.
    The system was cloned from a hard drive to the SSD and over time was re-organized so it now has four partitions as follows.

Intermitent Boot Up Failure [​IMG]

The fourth partition is a Microsoft Reserved partition that is 1 Gb in size - Windows does not show it.
    Diskpart - list disk

Diskpart - list part

Diskpart - list vol

SAMSUNG Magician

MiniTool Partition Wizard

When the system fails to boot I can spend a day or an hour to get it running again. This morning it wouldn't boot, gives me that BSOD and recovery attempts fail. While in BIOS I noticed that my NvME is now showing up twice in it. So I switched the order of the two and the system booted. That is how I am here now!

I'm trying to find someone that can guide me through correcting this as I've obviously done something in previous attempts to fix it that now has windows confused about boot. I don't know enough about it myself to figure out where I've gone wrong. I know that there is now multiple \EFI\... folders on different partitions. Which is windows using, which can I delete etc...

I also have issues making recovery disk and using USB recovery to fix the bootup. I managed to fix it once with a windows media install startup repair. But this morning even that wouldn't fix it.

Well, another update was just applied so I'll reboot now and see if I get back online! Let me know what you need to know to help me sort this out. Thanks for your help in advance.

:)

kwgagel, May 22, 2020
  2. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, May 22, 2020
  3. TOYMINATR Win User
    Samsung Evo 860 SSD booting intermitently

Hi Ztrucker,

I have attached a screenshot of
    disk management. What are your thoughts?
    thanks!

TOYMINATR, May 22, 2020
  4. Kenshai Win User

Confusing Disk Boot Failure

Well, Brand new Harddrive the western digital se16 caviar 640. Had a clean install, and while installing drivers and programs after a couple restarts I am receiving disk boot failure. Not the first restart or the second. Each time that it has given me the failure was after installing updates. I've system restored to before installing the updates and it works fine. It's a large list of around 38 or so updates. Granted may be a fluke but anyone heard of this?

P5N-E SLi
    E6420
    OCZ Platinum 2 x 1 kit
    WD 640gb

Kenshai, May 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Intermitent Boot Up Failure - Similar Threads - Intermitent Boot Failure

2. PC boot up failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC boot up failure: Actually i was resetting my windows 10 pro through the Reset this PC in recovery setting and as my PC was getting a reset, suddenly a power outage took place. Hoping that nothing would have got wrong i started my PC but dang... My PC now just keep on restarting it continously...
  3. PC boot up failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC boot up failure: Actually i was resetting my windows 10 pro through the Reset this PC in recovery setting and as my PC was getting a reset, suddenly a power outage took place. Hoping that nothing would have got wrong i started my PC but dang... My PC now just keep on restarting it continously...
  4. PC boot up failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Boot up failure

Boot up failure: Good morning, its been a while since I had a problem, helped by the forum volunteers. Today, our HP Envy suddenly froze and would not respond to anything. I performed an emergency power off, waited 30 seconds and powered on. Nothing although the monitor flickered briefly. I...
  6. Windows 10 causing intermitent internet failure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 causing intermitent internet failure: Windows 10, version 20H2 Ever since installing this update and the others along with it my computer has suffered from repeated and random disconnects from the internet where the computer loses sight of all available networks briefly before returning to normal. I at first...
  7. Lenovo L570 intermitted internal cellular usb failure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lenovo L570 intermitted internal cellular usb failure: Hello, I have a weird problem and I hope I can find root cause on the forum. I have a Lenovo L570 with Fibocom L831 cellular driver and recently had to re-install Windows 10 due to another issue. The re-install was only the Windows files and programs. But after this...
  8. Boot up failure

Boot up failure: Hi, My laptop won't boot up, I did an update yesterday, it got interrupted when updating as the battery died, after that I accidently selected to undo the update, and that's when it started going funny. My sister turned it off after a few hours, and it's still continuing...
  9. Updates cause boot-up failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates cause boot-up failure: Last night as I shutdown my computer the blue updates screen appeared, the one that says "Installing updates, 10%, 20%, ...Do not shut off your computer". That was strange since I always thought I was able to choose when to update. This morning my computer would not boot up....
  10. Samsung Evo 860 SSD booting intermitently

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Samsung Evo 860 SSD booting intermitently: Hello all, I have found a couple of threads here and saw others having the same issue, but didn't see how they resolved the problem. My new SSD boots 50% of the time, when it doesn't I press the reset button to get it to boot up. Runs great once booted. Initially I cloned...