Windows 10: Intermittent boot problems

Discus and support Intermittent boot problems in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro desktop. Runs fine when it boots. Will run for days with no problems, recovers fine from sleep. However, sometimes (not always) after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by sfbobb, Sep 2, 2016.

1. sfbobb Win User

Intermittent boot problems

Windows 10 Pro desktop. Runs fine when it boots. Will run for days with no problems, recovers fine from sleep. However, sometimes (not always) after being shut down for a day it will not boot. Hangs with blue windows icon and spinning dots. I have imaged the SSD and cloned that image to a new SSD SSD2. SSD2 worked fine for a week. Now it too has the same problem so I am thinking it is not the SSD. When the problem first occurred I was unable to boot until I restored the SSD clone to SSD1. Then SSD1 failed again after being shut down. So I switched to SSD2 and that worked fine for a week. Figured it was the SSD. Now SSD2 also fails to boot in the same fashion. Today it would not boot. Tried a W10 repair disk, that also failed to boot. Tried Macrium resuce, failed to boot. Shut it down, pulled power cord, let it sit for 5 min, booted like a champ. Now running fine.

Any suggestions appreciated.

:)

sfbobb, Sep 2, 2016
  2. RRooster Win User

Reboot required to enter password

At first, say a month or so problem was intermittent but yes, now its every other boot

RRooster, Sep 2, 2016
  3. Linney Win User
    Intermittent Boot-up Problems Windows 10

See if the mention of the "DiskPart" tool is a clue for you? Perhaps the wrong Disk Partition is set to "Active", or something like that? The hardware side of things is a bit beyond my poor skills.

Windows 8.1+Debian 7.7 (GRUB) Dual Boot across two SSDs not allowing restoration of MBR for Windows

Windows 8.1+Debian 7.7 (GRUB) Dual Boot across two SSDs not allowing restoration of MBR for Windows

Bootrec /fixboot returned an "Element not found" - Recherche Google

On a working Windows 8.1 or 10 machine, see Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery\Create a Recovery Drive.

Create a Recovery Drive and use that to boot from in a faulty machine and try accessing the advanced startup options/safe mode.

When you create a Recovery Drive you are given the option (via a check box) to copy across the hidden recovery partition from your machine. If you choose that option then the size of USB required will be many times larger than if you don't choose the option.

Linney, Sep 2, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Welcome to the forums. How about going into bios, if you can, and tell me the Motherboard temps, CPU Temps, the values of the +12V, +5V and +3.3V.

essenbe, Sep 2, 2016
  5. sfbobb Win User
    Thanks. This is what I get from the BIOS. BTW, it started right up after restart and looking at BIOS.
    CPU temp 40, System temp 39, Vcore 1.204, VDDR 1.584, +12=12.365, +5=5.053 did not see any 3.3v reading.

I am thinking of replacing mobo and CPU next. Migrating W10 will be a challenge but not sure what else to try. Thoughts?

sfbobb, Sep 2, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    Those values look fine. Let me check a few things. BRB.

essenbe, Sep 2, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    Where are you getting the VDDR value? VDDR and Vdimm are the supply voltages to your ram.
    In my bios, I can't find a VDDR value.

essenbe, Sep 3, 2016
  8. sfbobb Win User

All those values came from the same section of the BIOS. I just copied what was there.

sfbobb, Sep 3, 2016
  9. essenbe Win User
    What's confusing is that all Asus boards have the same BIOS settings, pretty much and I can't find a VDDR in mine. If you put a USB flash drive in formatted FAT32, on any screen you can press F12 and it will put a picture of the bios page you are looking at on the flash drive. I would show you mine, but I am overclocked and some of the values would be wrong for you. VDDR is usually either the ram voltage or the ram bus voltage. Make sure your ram voltage Vdimm on my board is what the specs are for your ram. Most DDR4 ram is either 1.2 or 1.35V. 1.2 is most common except for very high speed ram. Mine is DDR4-2800 and the ram voltage is 1.2. See if this helps.

Attachment 99721

essenbe, Sep 3, 2016
  10. sfbobb Win User
    That could be some of the confusion. It is a Gigabyte mobo, it is from 2010 and I am running DDR3 - 2000 DRAM. I will try to get a screen shot but what I quoted is what it is showing. I think the DDR3 spec is 1.65v so we are a little low but close.

sfbobb, Sep 3, 2016
  11. essenbe Win User
    OK, I apologize. That was my fault. I'm old and easily confused *Redface I got your thread confused with another one. My apologies.

essenbe, Sep 3, 2016
  12. essenbe Win User
    Ok, if you change Motherboards, Microsoft will consider that a new computer. Maybe if you were to try and activate by phone and explain you had to change motherboards they may help you out, but that isn't a given.

You should be able to boot into the repair options, this will show you several different ways https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html To me the easies way should be to press the start button, power and hold down the Shift key and press restart. You should have several options, but maybe running startup repair will help.

It almost seems you may have some other type problem. If pulling the power plug and waiting for the power to drain from the board and then plugging back in works, it sounds more like a power supply or voltage regulation problem.

essenbe, Sep 3, 2016
  13. sfbobb Win User

I replaced the mobo and the cpu. Everything else is the same. I was amazed to find that with the existing SSD image unchanged, the system booted and worked perfectly with the new mobo and cpu. Granted I used the same brand of mobo and cpu (Gigabyte and Intel). So, it is the same version of W10 with all the same apps etc. W10 was intelligent enough to update a few drivers for the new mobo I think and then just booted fine. No more issues. I did get W10 registered over the phone, took awhile, but it went fine.

sfbobb, Sep 15, 2016
  14. essenbe Win User
    Great, glad everything worked out well for you. Well done. Good job.

essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Intermittent boot problems - Similar Threads - Intermittent boot problems

2. Intermittent Bluetooth problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent Bluetooth problems: Periodically PC with Windows 10 loses connection to Bluetooth KB or Bluetooth mouse, or both. Rebooting fixes temporarily. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intermittent-bluetooth-problems/021213e0-463c-4999-9425-d406af01ab6b
  3. Intermittent Bluetooth problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittent Bluetooth problems: Periodically PC with Windows 10 loses connection to Bluetooth KB or Bluetooth mouse, or both. Rebooting fixes temporarily. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intermittent-bluetooth-problems/021213e0-463c-4999-9425-d406af01ab6b
  4. Intermittent Bluetooth problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 - intermittent boot issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - intermittent boot issue: Hi,I have been having the following issue on boot up of Windows over the past number of weeks. Firstly the hardware in question is:I5 9600kfasrock b365-hdv 16gb ram RTX 2060 750W PSUWindows 10 Pro 21H2I have repair installed and fresh installed the machine and the problem...
  6. Intermittent Sound Problem

Intermittent Sound Problem: I'm running W10 V.20H2, OS Build 19042.985:Every now and then my sound just completely quits. It will come back on when it gets ready, restarting does not work. It always quits when it's not being used. For example, when you first start it up in the morning, it won't work....
  7. Intermittent Sound Problems

Intermittent Sound Problems: After the latest Windows 10 update, I am finding that I have an INTERMITTENT sound problem. I have tried all the recommended troubleshooting methods given on the Community but none of these have worked for me. However, if I do a Restart, the sound returns for that session...
  8. Intermittent problem with sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Intermittent problem with sleep mode: I have a Dell XPS 8900 running Windows 10 1803 and have a problem where the PC will enter sleep mode once or twice after a fresh boot, but subsequent sleep commands only turn off the monitor; the hard and CPU remain active. I tried closing all active windows and also logging...
  9. Windows intermittently failing to boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows intermittently failing to boot: I have an issue with a recent build whereby the system boots straight into UEFI and the SSD boot drive doesn't show up under boot options. It happens intermittently (roughly every 2 or 3 weeks) and in the beginning a simple reboot would solve it. Recently though, once...
  10. Intermittent Slow Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent Slow Boot: Hi Hope someone can help I have this intermittent problem it happens about every third time I boot up I have a Asus Z97A motherboard, a Samsung 850 pro SSD C: drive, a WD 1 TB black D: drive and a WD 2 TB E: drive I just got done doing a reinstall. When it fails it stops...