Windows 10: Intermittent Booting issue with Windows with additional hard drives installed.

Discus and support Intermittent Booting issue with Windows with additional hard drives installed. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello! I have been experiencing an intermittent issue with booting in to windows for the last couple of weeks, heres a breif description of what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Marc Carless, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Intermittent Booting issue with Windows with additional hard drives installed.

Hello!

I have been experiencing an intermittent issue with booting in to windows for the last couple of weeks, heres a breif description of what happens:

I will turn on my pc, the system will POST and start loading in to windows, however it will get stuck on the loading screen with the spiral spinning the system dosent freeze. To get my system to boot in to windows, I have to open my pc and unplug my two additional hard drives and swap their SATA ports, and then the system will boot fine.

I'm not too sure whats causing this issue, so some help will be appriciated and I'm more than happy to post more information about this issue or my system!

My system specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus Prime z490-p

CPU: Intel Core i5 10600k

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance Pro RGB DDR4 @3200 Mhz

GPU: ASUS ROG RTX 3070

PSU:Corsair 750w TX750

Boot DriveL Seagate Barracude 510 1TB NVMe SSD
    Second Drive: Seagate 2tb HDD

Third Drive: WD Blue 1TB Hdd

:)

Marc Carless, Dec 1, 2020
  2. little cat, Dec 1, 2020
  3. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Dec 1, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

Intermittent Booting issue with Windows with additional hard drives installed.

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

Intermittent Booting issue with Windows with additional hard drives installed.

1. Intermittent Booting issue with Windows with additional hard drives installed. - Similar Threads - Intermittent Booting issue

2. Windows 10 - intermittent boot issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - intermittent boot issue: Hi,I have been having the following issue on boot up of Windows over the past number of weeks. Firstly the hardware in question is:I5 9600kfasrock b365-hdv 16gb ram RTX 2060 750W PSUWindows 10 Pro 21H2I have repair installed and fresh installed the machine and the problem...
  3. Saving to an additional internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving to an additional internal hard drive: My current desktop running Windows 10 has 2TB of storage. I work with rather large files and there are a lot of them. I installed an additional internal 2TB hard drive. I thought I had changed the setting to have all new content saved onto the new drive, but it still saves...
  4. Saving to an additional internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving to an additional internal hard drive: My current desktop running Windows 10 has 2TB of storage. I work with rather large files and there are a lot of them. I installed an additional internal 2TB hard drive. I thought I had changed the setting to have all new content saved onto the new drive, but it still saves...
  5. Saving to an additional internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. After installing windows update partition on additional hard drive is disappeared.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After installing windows update partition on additional hard drive is disappeared.: Windows update installed automatically which was security update KB5010342. I made 3 partition on Disk 1 but only one visible other 2 is gone. Disk 1 is inserted by cd rom port like additionally.I do uninstall everytime, then it becomes allright back again like i was normal....
  7. After installing windows update partition on additional hard drive is disappeared.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After installing windows update partition on additional hard drive is disappeared.: Windows update installed automatically which was security update KB5010342. I made 3 partition on Disk 1 but only one visible other 2 is gone. Disk 1 is inserted by cd rom port like additionally.I do uninstall everytime, then it becomes allright back again like i was normal....
  8. After installing windows update partition on additional hard drive is disappeared.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Unable to search for files on additional hard drives - Specifically where additional drives...

in Cortana
    Unable to search for files on additional hard drives - Specifically where additional drives...: I have had this problem for countless months where Windows 10 refused to search my additional drives, despite them being indexed. The many steps to fix the problem, both in this community and others did not resolve the issue. If they did, it was always temporary eg. changing...
  10. Windows boot issue - dead hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boot issue - dead hard drive?: Hi all - was given a laptop by a friend to take a look at. Pretty sure the culprit is a dying hard drive, but wanted a second opinion. Laptop fails to boot and she was getting constant 'Startup Repair' errors in Windows 10 on attempted bootup. Now, however, when I try and...