Windows 10: Intermittent BSOD - Possible root cause?

Discus and support Intermittent BSOD - Possible root cause? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I've been having quite a time with this computer. I upgraded a bunch of the hardware inside, nothing major, a 750ti/i3 setup just to game lightly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by albigularis, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Intermittent BSOD - Possible root cause?

So I've been having quite a time with this computer. I upgraded a bunch of the hardware inside, nothing major, a 750ti/i3 setup just to game lightly on.

It started out fine and over the course of a few weeks, I got more and more frequent BSODs, usually with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, IRQL_DRIVER_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, BAD_POOL_HEADER, FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE or KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

They seemed to get more frequent and running System File Checker returned that there was corrupted files which could not be repaired. I then tried to do the built-in system reset, which actually failed. At this point I fully re-installed Windows 10 using the ISO from the Microsoft website. System ran perfectly for maybe two days, then built up to maybe 1 BSOD per day, now I'm on between 4-6.

I've ran memtest on 10 parses overnight, nothing found.

Drivers are all fresh installs and are most recent. The issues I had last time still occured on the previous versions of the same drivers which are installed.

Dumps are included below, but before examining them, is it likely that with a fresh install and the issue getting worse, it's actually a hardware issue?

I ran the SFC checker again and it gave the error- "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them". I have included the logs it directed me to in the upload below, inside the "CBS" folder.

:)

albigularis, Dec 14, 2016
  2. wandy_a Win User

No help with fixing KB4013418 update!!

Robear

Opened new thread....

Intermittent BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

It should be located at......

Intermittent BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The further I look at this thing the uglier it gets.

wandy_a, Dec 14, 2016
  3. Blue Screen While Playing Online Games

Hello, I have recently upgraded from Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 10240 to Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 10586.3. A BSOD is always being triggered when I play online games. The BSOD usually occurs during loading and it has an error message of " KMode_Exception_Not_Handled
    caused by dump_wmimmc.sys ".

What is the root cause and the possible solution?

By the way the online game that I play is CABAL Online and this is the only game in my PC that triggers BSOD. Other games work normally aside.

Shindyo190, Dec 14, 2016
  4. Intermittent BSOD - Possible root cause?

Slight update, although unsure how relevant.

Was sitting listening to music, so had iTunes open whilst opening the Battle.net client. The computer done its usual bluescreen ritual where the sound stops and repeats the last few milliseconds of audio. Except this time it didn't blue screen and the audio reset to my music after about 5 seconds. The screen froze for about 25s and it became extremely unresponsive, but it settled down after about 2-min. Whilst unresponsive, the cursor was taking like 15s to register movement etc. I checked task manager and the only thing using high amounts of anything was "Service Host: Local System" which was using about 50% of Disk capacity.

Had about 4 or 5 Bluescreens today, all have been "MEMORY_MAMANGEMENT" I think. Happened when playing games, and whilst just browsing in Chrome.

albigularis, Dec 15, 2016
  5. lifetec Win User
    Your on BIOS version F5 of your mobo H81M-H.
    You said you installed a new cpu, this is a 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i3 Processors.
    According to your supportpage BIOS version F7 has Support New 4th Generation Intel Core Processors and
    Enhance DDR capability

Update your BIOS to the latest version.

lifetec, Dec 15, 2016
  6. Thank you for taking the time to help me out *Smile. I've updated the BIOS to F7 now, I will report back if the issues persist with more dumps!

7. Bad news already, had another MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bluescreen a few minutes ago.

8. lifetec Win User

Intermittent BSOD - Possible root cause?

The last dumpfile is again memory management as you said.
    Code: BugCheck 1A, {41793, fffff700d83b2ff8, 200, 1ff} Probably caused by : memory_corruption Followup: memory_corruption[/quote] Usual causes:* Device driver, memory, kernel

The only older driver your system has is the Logitech gaming software driver it is from 2015, try to update it.

Memory: you said you already run Memtest with no errors.
    Acccording to the QVL list your memory needs to be placed in the 3_1 socket/channel A., see supportpage.
    And you have your memory placed in 3_2 socket/channel B
    Code: Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 34 - Handle 0043h] Physical Memory Array Handle 0007h Memory Error Info Handle [Not Provided] Total Width 64 bits Data Width 64 bits Size 8192MB Form Factor 09h - DIMM Device Set [None] Device Locator ChannelB-DIMM0 Bank Locator BANK 2 Memory Type 18h - Specification Reserved Type Detail 0080h - Synchronous Speed 1600MHz Manufacturer 0215 Serial Number Asset Tag Number Part Number CMV8GX3M1A1600C11[/quote] As a test replace your memory in Socket/channel A.

Kernel:. rerun the SFC command again, use this tutorial.
    SFC
    Use SFC to check and repair windows systemfiles.

See this tutorial SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

lifetec, Dec 15, 2016
  9. Amazingly, that Logitech driver got updated only yesterday! That was the last version they made. Only a year between updates... Updated it and switched the RAM stick to the other slot. I'll go through the SFC stuff now and continue using the computer afterwards, hoping for the best haha.

10. So SFC returned clean this time, first time it's ever done so. Updated those drivers and changed the RAM to the other slot.

Just got another one, this time "FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE". Log attached.

albigularis, Dec 16, 2016
  11. lifetec Win User
    The last dumpfile points again to your memory, this time even with a hardware memory fault
    Code: BugCheck 12B, {ffffffffc00002c4, 7a9, 2cb47900, ffffa700946c6000} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys Probably caused by : memory_corruption Followup: memory_corruption --------- 2: kd> !analyze -v ******************************************************************************* * * * Bugcheck Analysis * * * ******************************************************************************* FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE (12b) This bugcheck indicates that a single bit error was found in this page. This is a hardware memory error. Arguments: Arg1: ffffffffc00002c4, virtual address mapping the corrupted page Arg2: 00000000000007a9, physical page number Arg3: 000000002cb47900, zero Arg4: ffffa700946c6000, zero[/quote] Reseat it to the second slot of channel A.
    Check the settings of your memory in the BIOS.
    Test it again with Memtest 86+.
    Memory Test.
    Please start with diagnosing the system RAM first. You can use the free tool "Memtest86+" to stress test the RAM.

How to run "Memtest" - RAM - Test with Memtest86+ - Windows 7 Help Forums
    MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Tutorials
    Make sure you are using the latest version 5.01 - Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

You can stop the test even if a single error is found during the test. Otherwise continue the test for 8-10 passes and post a screenshot with next reply. 8 passes is the recommended bare minimum but more passes will give better result.

lifetec, Dec 16, 2016
  12. Each channel only has one slot on this board. So it's in the right channel now, I'll try another 8 parses and see if I get anything else showing up this time.

albigularis, Dec 16, 2016
  13. Intermittent BSOD - Possible root cause?

Well, some good/bad news depending how you interpret it.

I'll let it finish, but I'm assuming that's the mystery solved...

Intermittent BSOD - Possible root cause? [​IMG]

albigularis, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Intermittent BSOD - Possible root cause?

1. Intermittent BSOD - Possible root cause? - Similar Threads - Intermittent BSOD Possible

2. Root cause of a crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Root cause of a crash: My computer BSOD'd recently because of a game, and I've run the Windbg, but I don't know how to read & analyze the output:minidump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgqNtwl2mN3ShVZ9O2TQVOXwtuoa?e=YVXDEg************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories...
  3. Can't determine root cause of BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't determine root cause of BSOD: Hi there,I'm getting constant but random BSOD reboots a day. Happens around 5 times a day or so at random intervals. The blue screen error that pops up before reboot only lasts half a second so I can't read the exact error message.I've looked in event viewer, but nothing...
  4. Can't determine root cause of BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't determine root cause of BSOD: Hi there,I'm getting constant but random BSOD reboots a day. Happens around 5 times a day or so at random intervals. The blue screen error that pops up before reboot only lasts half a second so I can't read the exact error message.I've looked in event viewer, but nothing...
  5. Can't determine root cause of BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. root cause of mdump

in Windows 10 Customization
    root cause of mdump: Out application crashed due to Out Of Memory. I need to check on the root cause of it. When I ran mdump on winDBG, I got the output mentioned below. What can be the cause for getting this dump due to - MODULE_NAME: java_exe, IMAGE_NAME: java.exe, and FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:...
  7. BSOD root causes

BSOD root causes: Memory dump here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bYN284L619R0-j5t7UTbkyyZx5P2m2t6/view?usp=sharing I'm seeing my computer crash when returning from hibernate; event log includes events that say: Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000001....
  8. Intermittent BSOD/shutdowns possibly sleep-related

Intermittent BSOD/shutdowns possibly sleep-related: See attached dump. I'm not really sure what the issue is, I've only ever seen the actual BSOD once, every other time it's already restarted by the time I was back at my desk. I generally try to keep the laptop unplugged when it's closed so at first I thought the battery...
  9. Intermittent BSODs, Possible PSU Brown Outages.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intermittent BSODs, Possible PSU Brown Outages.: I've given up trying to fix my computer on my own. For the past month or two my PC has been giving me a hard time. I've run chkdsk /f and sfc scannow maybe 20 times at this point. I reinstalled windows, I stopped overclocking my graphics card, no apparent shift in reliability...
  10. Various BSODs, unknown root cause

Various BSODs, unknown root cause: I have been getting various BSODs on my new build, running the latest drivers and BIOS from the manufacturer of my mobo, Gigabyte. I have RMA'd the mobo once, and it was returned with no repairs. I have reinstalled windows, verified that the drive works with HDtune and sfc. I...