Windows 10: Intermittent BSOD/shutdowns possibly sleep-related

Discus and support Intermittent BSOD/shutdowns possibly sleep-related in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; See attached dump. I'm not really sure what the issue is, I've only ever seen the actual BSOD once, every other time it's already restarted by the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by YoMan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. YoMan Win User

Intermittent BSOD/shutdowns possibly sleep-related

See attached dump.

I'm not really sure what the issue is, I've only ever seen the actual BSOD once, every other time it's already restarted by the time I was back at my desk.

I generally try to keep the laptop unplugged when it's closed so at first I thought the battery was just draining, but it's usually at like 80% when I turn it back on.

Basically: I'll shut the lid (which should put it to sleep) when I'm not using it and then when I come back it's restarted. sometimes even if I leave it open and unplugged from power it'll have been restarted when I come back to it after being away for an hour or two.

That's about all I really can think of.

:)

YoMan, Nov 25, 2018

2. Battery drains during Sleep/Shutdown

Hi Rahul,

If you are experiencing battery drains during Sleep or Shutdown, we need to check your battery settings and perform a battery saving. There are two related categories that we need to visit. These are the Power & sleep. Follow the steps below:

• Open the Action Center and click System.
    • Select Power & sleep.
    • Choose your desired time for Screen and Sleep.
    • Under Related settings, click Additional power settings.
    • We will be prompted to Power Options' control panel.
    • Select Change when the computer sleeps.
    • We need to customize our power plan, choose between Balanced (recommended) or
      Power Saver.

Let's proceed with battery saving, battery saver feature is the same kind of tools that can be found in mobile phones and tablets. It is off by default and won't turn on if your device is charging. These are the steps:

• Go to the Action Center and choose System.
    • Click Battery saver.
    • Select Battery saver settings. (Note: Battery saver is set to turn on at 20%, but you can set that higher or lower.)
    • Adjust the Battery saver to your desired percentage.

Using these two processes will definitely improve your battery's life.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Ronalene Mat, Nov 25, 2018
  3. 0x00000119 ntoskrnl.exe+142940 BSOD - Possibly related to sleep

Hi, new member here, I thought this looks like the place to try and get over a annoying problem. Every 1 or 2 days intermittently I am getting a BSOD, it usually happens when my PC wakes up from sleep, but I can't repeat it. (I have tried manually sleeping my PC, then waking it, then sleeping and waking etc but it just happens so intermittently) I followed the sticky here to generate my report. I have been using bluescreenview to try and pinpoint the problem and the error module seems always to be ntoskrnl.exe

At this point I feel like if the error happened within a couple of minutes rather than a couple of days it would be far easier to get to the bottom of, but I just want my PC to be stable.

You will probably see I am overclocking my CPU from my report and I understand for troubleshooting purposes I need to turn this off. Other things I have tried include running memtest for 24 hours (no errors) and running driver verifier. Driver verifier caused BSOD on my Samsung SSD driver (I think SamsungRapidSvc I think) before the pc even booted and just stuck there, so I couldn't get to the memory dump to attach here.

I have updated on windows update and also made sure I have the latest Samsung magician, SSD firmware etc. I own a 840 EVO.

I am not sure if I am facing multiple problems here, before when I have had sleep issues it has usually pointed to the GPU, but ntoskrnl suggests something else, as does running driver verifier.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dodge

Attachment 95565

Dodgexander, Nov 25, 2018
  4. heimdal Win User

Sleep instead of Shutdown

I have a desktop computer running Windows 10. It has been working with no problems.

Recently it stopped shutting down. When shutdown is selected, it appears to shutdown, the monitor reports the video signal is lost and the lights go off on the PC.

However it you touch the keyboard it start back up again and goes straight into the desktop.

I have checked the configuration and the sleep is disabled and the power button appears to be configured correctly.

It doesn't appear to relate to any processing still running.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

heimdal, Nov 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Intermittent BSOD/shutdowns possibly sleep-related - Similar Threads - Intermittent BSOD shutdowns

2. BSoDs Possibly Tablet Related?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSoDs Possibly Tablet Related?: Hi, so I keep on getting frequent different errored blue screens and I think it may have something to do with my tablet driver. Although they used to happen almost 5+ times a day before, a quick system reinstall fixed it. They now only seem to reliably happen when I'm using...
  3. Possible BSOD during PC sleep

Possible BSOD during PC sleep: Hello, I though I post this question here to see if you can help me with this issue. Occasionally, my PC fails to "survive" idle or sleep mode and I can see in the Event viewer that it might be a BSOD or unexpected system failure. As the PC is left idling, I don't know what...
  4. Possibly Bad Graphics Driver Related BSODS

Possibly Bad Graphics Driver Related BSODS: Hey all, Recently I've been having issues with BSODs that appear to be coming from my graphics card, but I've no real way to check and make sure so wanted to get an opinion or two on what to do. Google Drive link to zip file:...
  5. Intermittent BSODs, Possible PSU Brown Outages.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intermittent BSODs, Possible PSU Brown Outages.: I've given up trying to fix my computer on my own. For the past month or two my PC has been giving me a hard time. I've run chkdsk /f and sfc scannow maybe 20 times at this point. I reinstalled windows, I stopped overclocking my graphics card, no apparent shift in reliability...
  6. 0x00000119 ntoskrnl.exe+142940 BSOD - Possibly related to sleep

0x00000119 ntoskrnl.exe+142940 BSOD - Possibly related to sleep: Hi, new member here, I thought this looks like the place to try and get over a annoying problem. Every 1 or 2 days intermittently I am getting a BSOD, it usually happens when my PC wakes up from sleep, but I can't repeat it. (I have tried manually sleeping my PC, then waking...
  7. BSOD - Possibly hardware related?

BSOD - Possibly hardware related?: Hi all, I have an MSi GT70 20C Laptop that I've had numerous problems with. When I first ordered this laptop it was dead on arrival, and had to be shipped back for fixing. Since i've gotten it back, I have had BSODs ranging from 0-2 times a week up to 6 times in a...
  8. BSOD with VPN - possibly related to network drivers

BSOD with VPN - possibly related to network drivers: Hi, I am experiencing BSOD on the University network-eduroam, which have not happened before. It happens few minutes after I am connected to my Okayfreedom VPN, but I do not have this problem at home with my wifi which is strange. There is no problems without the VPN...
  9. Occasional BSOD - Possibly internet related?

Occasional BSOD - Possibly internet related?: I have had my computer BSOD 5-6 times in roughly the past 2 weeks. The error on the BSOD is always CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, and it typically happens when I am surfing the web. Once, it happened while watching a video file on my drive. Before the BSOD shows up, the computer...
  10. Intermittent BSOD - Possible root cause?

Intermittent BSOD - Possible root cause?: So I've been having quite a time with this computer. I upgraded a bunch of the hardware inside, nothing major, a 750ti/i3 setup just to game lightly on. It started out fine and over the course of a few weeks, I got more and more frequent BSODs, usually with...