Windows 10: Intermittent disconnection of Mapped Drive - Cannot Lock Drive

Discus and support Intermittent disconnection of Mapped Drive - Cannot Lock Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ever since bought new Win10 PC Mar 2020 and created a mapped drive with another Win10 PC, it is giving headache. Earlier it used to get intermittently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NishCAAUS, Apr 17, 2020.

1. NishCAAUS Win User

Intermittent disconnection of Mapped Drive - Cannot Lock Drive

Ever since bought new Win10 PC Mar 2020 and created a mapped drive with another Win10 PC, it is giving headache. Earlier it used to get intermittently disconnected. I updated the HKey and now started giving message cannot lock drive. Hello what has changed? Why intermittent disconnection? Appreciate any assistance.

:)

NishCAAUS, Apr 17, 2020

2. Unable to disconnect from mapped network drive

I receive the following error when I try to disconnect from a self mapped network drive: "network connection does not exist"

The network drive icon appears with a bid red x and says it is disconnected, yet I can double click on it to enter the mapped folder. Doing this does not reconnect the folder, and remains disconnected. This causes problems because programs that pointed
    to this path are unable to read the files. I am unable to remap this drive because the associated drive letter (EIntermittent disconnection of Mapped Drive - Cannot Lock Drive :) and mapping no longer shows up in the list.

I've tried all the typical suggestions including:

--I tried to do it via the command prompt with the net use delete command, but it can't be found in there.

--Tried to above with the actual network path instead of the drive letter, did not work

--Tried to delete the registry entries from:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

HKEY_USERS\. Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Mountpoint2\

None of these solutions worked. Though deleting the registry entries momentarily hid the disconnected drive, the drive letter was still not available for mapping. I tried to force the drive letter (EIntermittent disconnection of Mapped Drive - Cannot Lock Drive :) to map to my optical drive, which worryingly, pointed
    back to the mapped network location on the NAS instead of to the optical drive.

How do I get rid of this? Reformatting the computer is not an option.

RMI_Howard, Apr 17, 2020
  3. Carlo Fer Win User
    Unable to Open/Disconnect a Mapped Drive in Windows 10

Hi Landon,

To resolve this issue, please follow the steps on how to disconnect a Mapped drive below:

• Right click on Start button > select
      Command
      Prompt (Admin).
    • Type " mountvol /r "
    • Reboot your computer.

Regards.

Carlo Fer, Apr 17, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to disconnect Mapped drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you have mentioned that you have removed the mapped drives through GPO and still the drive keeps appearing, I suggest you to try removing the mapped drive by running the Net use command in Command Prompt and see if that helps. Please follow the
    steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + S, and type Command Prompt.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, type net use f: \\financial\public /delete
      (Replace f: \\financial\public with the drive name)

For more information on Net use command, you can refer the article
    Net use

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in TechNet
    forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on the GPO and mapped drivers to assist you with the appropriate details.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Intermittent disconnection of Mapped Drive - Cannot Lock Drive - Similar Threads - Intermittent disconnection Mapped

2. Windows 10 disconnects drive mappings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 disconnects drive mappings: Roughly weekly, all of my drive mappings to my NAS device get wiped out by Windows 10. My NAS is a Seagate Blackarmor 220, and runs a Linux-based OS. I can ping the address fine, and I was able to map folders on it until recently. It refused to let me access any of the...
  3. Windows 10 disconnects drive mappings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 disconnects drive mappings: Roughly weekly, all of my drive mappings to my NAS device get wiped out by Windows 10. My NAS is a Seagate Blackarmor 220, and runs a Linux-based OS. I can ping the address fine, and I was able to map folders on it until recently. It refused to let me access any of the...
  4. Windows 10 disconnects drive mappings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Mapped Network Drive Disconnects and Will Not Reconnect

Mapped Network Drive Disconnects and Will Not Reconnect: OS:Windows 10 V20H2 PC: Dell XPS8940 Router: Netgear R7000 w/ TomatoUSB Nine of ten mapped network drives on my desktop PC behave normally! The tenth is a problem. It is mapped to the USB drive connected to my router.Sometimes (days) I cannot connect to this mapped drive and...
  6. Mapped Drives Show Disconnected and You cannot Search them

Mapped Drives Show Disconnected and You cannot Search them: Hello, I have an open case with MS for some time know and was wondering if others had this issue. I am running systems on Win10 1809. On these systems all mapped drives are showing a red x and we cannot search the mapped drives from explorer. I have narrowed it down to a...
  7. Mapped Drives Disconnect on reboot

Mapped Drives Disconnect on reboot: We have several workstations running Windows 10 on the same domain. Each workstation has mapped drives to access common shared folders on the Domain Server. We purchased several new Dell Workstations and configured the mapped drives the same way they are configured on the...
  8. Unable to remove disconnected mapped drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to remove disconnected mapped drive: I have found many references to this problem in Windows 10, but nothing suggested works. I am running Windows 10 pro version 2004. I have a mapped network drive z that is accessible, but shows up as disconnected. I cannot get rid of. Here's what I've tried: Right-click...
  9. Mapped drive "Disconnected"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mapped drive "Disconnected": So I'm having a issue where a mapped drive Windows 10 is showing Disconnected with the red X sometimes when powering on.. Even though it's saying it's disconnected I can still access all the files in it.. The main part of the issue is a software is pulling data from the...
  10. Unable to disconnect Mapped drive

Unable to disconnect Mapped drive: I used to have all the network drives mapped using a GPO, however, I have now moved all the network files into the cloud (G Suite). Therefore, I have removed the GPO that mapped the drives and use Google's File Stream, which automatically maps the G: drive. Whenever, I log...