Windows 10: intermittent DNS while on phone hotspot, works fine with home wifi

Discus and support intermittent DNS while on phone hotspot, works fine with home wifi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; when I connect to my phone hotspot, I get the errors of server dns address couldn't be found ONLY for some websites and not all. This happens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AhmedFoley, Mar 1, 2020.

1. intermittent DNS while on phone hotspot, works fine with home wifi

when I connect to my phone hotspot, I get the errors of server dns address couldn't be found ONLY for some websites and not all.

This happens regardless of the browsers I used.

If I connect to Home wifi, everything works fine.

its not my phone because other pcs connect to my phone hotspot and don't have this problem.

I noticed this after windows 10 update.

Help please.

Thanks

:)

AhmedFoley, Mar 1, 2020
  2. RPmtl Win User

Blackberry Q10 wifi Hotspot Hidden

I just recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 (clean install) to see what it has to offer, and so far everything works fine. Except last evening during a class I teach I needed a wifi connection so I enabled the Hotspot feature my BB Q10. But its broadcast SSID was not showing as an available wifi network. There was a strong Hidden Network appearing on the list, but I did not want to try it as I was in a public environment. A student in the class enabled their iPhone's hotspot which I could see and used that instead. The same student (and others) could see my Blackberry SSID on their phones.

When I got home I checked with my wife's iPad and she could see the BB Hotspot SSID and successfully logged into it. She then enabled the Hotspot feature on her iPhone and its SSID was displayed on my Lenovo laptop's available networks.

I then manually typed in the SSID name into the strong Hidden Network displayed on the available networks list and I could then connect to it without problems. I also used a network sniffing tool on he same laptop (inSSIDer 4) and it displays the Q10 SSID being broadcast and is not a hidden network. But it just will NOT display its identity on the laptop's wifi list of "available networks".

- The Q10 is broadcasting its SSID as other devices see it
    - The laptop sees the SSID using the inSSIDer utility and it does not appear to be hidden
    - I can see and access other phone's hotspot SSID's with the same laptop
    - My list of available networks shows the BB SSID as as Hidden Network (without a name)
    - Everything worked fine with Windows 8.1 on the same laptop.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks *Smile

RPmtl, Mar 1, 2020
  3. No internet / wifi from hotspot

So I have a Surface Pro 4 running windows 10 was working perfect this morning on my normal wifi. I pack it up to go somewhere and when I try to connect it to an iphone or iPad hotspot I just got it connected but with no internet. Both the ipad and iphone were getting internet as I'm writing this from my ipad and doing things on my phone.

I tried resetting all of them and turning hotspot, bluetooth, wifi on and off.. I've had problems connecting pc's to apple hotspots before, normally just rebooting everything and toggling hotspot on/off does the trick.

I started reading some internet troubleshooting guides, one suggested I reset my network settings on my phone.

I did this - now the surface pro 4 won't even connect to it. It will see the wifi network but will not connect.

The ipad it connects but does not give me internet access.

I also tried my friends iphone hotspot to just make sure it wasn't something with my devices and it did the same thing.

Any ideas?

realtordcnova, Mar 1, 2020
  4. intermittent DNS while on phone hotspot, works fine with home wifi

WiFi hotspot problem

Windows mobile 7 does not work on some WiFi hotspots where you must accept an agreement before being able to surf.

Just to confirm, on the same exact hotspot(s) Windows PCs, Mac's and iOS (iPhone/iPad) all work just fine.

There are actually two "problems" here...

1) When a hotspot requires some sort of authorization/agreement, there is nothing prompting the user of the device that they should first launch a browser and follow the steps to become authorized. If a user goes directly to an app or a marketplace download
    that is relying on non-cellular Internet connection it appears as if they are "stuck" and nothing works. On Windows 7 this is obvious because after associating to this kind of WiFi network a system tray bubble pops up that reads "Additional log on information
    may be required. Click to open your browser" ( for the reason this works, see: Appendix H: Network Connectivity Status Indicator and Resulting Internet Communication in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 and I suggest the
    same could be implemented on windows mobile ) On iOS devices this is obvious because after associating to this kind of WiFi network the browser is immediately launched for the user with a notification at the top "logon required"

2) Either the WM7 OS, or Internet Explorer browser, seems to cache DNS records regardless of answers returned with a TTL of 0, and regardless of pages with no-cache no-store directives. Closing the browser and opening it again does not flush IE's cache
    of the page (or perhaps the DNS cache) such that the user can visit whatever sites they want, rather it appears they are "stuck" at the agreement or authorization page for the hotspot. The user may surf to other Internet sites, but the user cannot surf to
    their IE homepage, or to whatever page they were trying to 1st access when they got redirected to the terms of service agreement (or "put in the code from your reciept" splash page) whatever is the hotspot policy.

As a workaround, I've discovered if the user reboots the phone (off/on) then Internet works - but this is a rather unfriendly step.

JPElectron, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

intermittent DNS while on phone hotspot, works fine with home wifi

1. intermittent DNS while on phone hotspot, works fine with home wifi - Similar Threads - intermittent DNS while

2. Wifi router auto disconnects and but the mobile hotspots work fine.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi router auto disconnects and but the mobile hotspots work fine.: Problem: I'm now experiencing an odd problem with my Windows 10 laptop. It automatically disconnects the wifi, and if I try to reconnect, I get a warning saying that I can't connect to this network.Description: However, it just affects the router I haven't tested it with...
  3. wifi hotspot not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wifi hotspot not working: my wifi properties /sharing/home network connection/ is only showing one option which is ethernet. .y cant i get any other options to choose from//?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-hotspot-not-working/1012b8c4-fa2b-4404-ab83-fa3d2941c418
  4. wifi hotspot not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wifi hotspot not working: my wifi properties /sharing/home network connection/ is only showing one option which is ethernet. .y cant i get any other options to choose from//?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-hotspot-not-working/1012b8c4-fa2b-4404-ab83-fa3d2941c418
  5. Wifi working intermittently

Wifi working intermittently: I have a Dell Inspirion 7559, and for the past few days my wifi has been working intermittently. It happens out of nowhere, and the problem can last from a few hours to a few days.I used the command "ping -t google.com" to see what the problem is, and this is what I got. I'm...
  6. Hotspot wifi not working

Hotspot wifi not working: Hi, It has been a few months since I can't use my laptop as a mobile hotspot, and the last Windows update didn't fix it. When I try to share either Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection, no one can't connect to the Wi-Fi. I tested with android and iPhone devices and none of the...
  7. My PC internet drops while connected to wifi, but works fine when connected to mobile hotspot.

My PC internet drops while connected to wifi, but works fine when connected to mobile hotspot.: Hi everyone, I have a windows 10 Pc which is just under a year old, but I have been having internet issues for a while now. The internet keeps dropping, whilst staying connected to the network. The internet seems to drop at the moment that I load a webpage been tracking...
  8. WiFi Works Fine at College but Not At Home

WiFi Works Fine at College but Not At Home: Dear MSCS I have been asking this question for a few weeks now and right now am awaiting for two network cards as a final solution, if it will work, but my issue concerns my WiFi and finding out why when I come home from college and using the WiFi there. Why is it when I...
  9. Program/Game wont work on wifi but work on Phone Hotspot

Program/Game wont work on wifi but work on Phone Hotspot: I have a game that i play everyday but today the client wont patch despite good connection via wifi. The game itself has no internet issues and my friends can play. Then i try to connect hotspot from my phone and it works. So is there any way that i could fix this or is it...
  10. My computer is connected to the WiFi but no internet but works just fine with my phones hotspot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer is connected to the WiFi but no internet but works just fine with my phones hotspot: Ok as the title says I can connect to my WiFi but no internet connection it works just fine my hotspot.i have reinstalled windows at least 3 times now to see if that would fix it and nothing.all of my other Devices work just fine with my WiFi like my PS4 and xbox 360.any help...