Windows 10: INTERMITTENT Failure to Boot Except in Safe Mode

Discus and support INTERMITTENT Failure to Boot Except in Safe Mode in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello all, I have Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 11 that came with Windows 8. I took advantage of the free Windows 10 offer when it came out. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DnLB, Aug 4, 2019.

1. DnLB Win User

INTERMITTENT Failure to Boot Except in Safe Mode

Hello all,

I have Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 11 that came with Windows 8.

I took advantage of the free Windows 10 offer when it came out.

My computer failed to boot last week--the UEFI firmware successfully handed control over to the Windows bootloader; I saw the windows logo, the polite request to wait a moment...then nothing. Just a black screen. I turned it off and on again, several times, with no change.

I booted into Recovery Mode and attempted Startup Repair; it said it was unable to repair it.

I was able to boot into Safe Mode, and was unable to find any problem. I tried to reboot normally, and it failed. (Black screen again.)

I looked at different recovery/restore options, including returning to the previous version of Windows, but it said it was unable to do that, too.

Then I rebooted...and Windows started normally. It worked fine from then on.

Same thing happened this morning. Dead computer, fails to boot with a blank, black screen. No recovery. (I don't have restore points, btw.) No restore. Safe Mode works. Unable to regress to the prior version of Windows.

Ran firmware's built-in diagnostics. No problems found.

...And then it booted successfully again with no explanation why it failed, nor why it now succeeds.

When it booted, it automatically opened up this web page. (It didn't do that last week.)

My best guess is that some update broke it, and something the machine does--when it checks to try to revert to a prior version of Windows--fixes it. But that's a complete shot in the dark.

So, ...help? How can I prevent this in the future? How can I ensure that it is fixed permanently?

:)

DnLB, Aug 4, 2019
Thema:

INTERMITTENT Failure to Boot Except in Safe Mode

1. INTERMITTENT Failure to Boot Except in Safe Mode - Similar Threads - INTERMITTENT Failure Boot

2. Windows 10 boot to safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 boot to safe mode: I recently had my disk drive replaced by Dell. The new drive supposedly came the initial Windows 10 image I had received when I purchased the system. I am no longer able to boot into safe mode by holding down the <shift> key when booting the system. The boot tab in msconfig...
  3. Safe mode boot hell

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Safe mode boot hell: hi.. i followed one of the suggestions to enable boot mode. that was to use msconfig and set the boot mode option. i just had it on minimal boot settings, what my problem is that when the boot mode comes up, it prompts me for a password for the MS account. i Enter the...
  4. Bsod Bad_Pool_Caller, cant boot except in Safe Mode with Networking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bsod Bad_Pool_Caller, cant boot except in Safe Mode with Networking: Hello, i recently installed windows 10 and before that i was using windows 7. During this time i already had gotten crashes regarding my video driver. These kinda stopped over time, but still return once in a while. So today in windows 10 my PC crashed twice, once was a...
  5. How to stop booting in to Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Support
    How to stop booting in to Safe Mode: I have just upgraded my PC from Windows 8 to Windows 10. My antivirus software needed to restart and boot in to Safe Mode. But, for years I have used the 4 digit pin login from Win 8,but I cannot remember the normal password. Safe Mode ony allows login via the...
  6. Reactivate F8 to boot safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Reactivate F8 to boot safe mode: I happened across this cmd.exe line while looking for a shortcut to open in safe mode: Code: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy[/quote] . It worked. I found a startup menu and got to safe mode with network. One little problem: after trying it out I rebooted and...
  7. Shortcut to boot safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut to boot safe mode: How can I make a desktop shortcut to reboot in safe mode? 85532
  8. Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10: Okay good, thanks, made my notes and saved link and .mht I like Option Three darn, Shawn can I have more than 60 seconds to edit my post without having it showing edit please, thanks. 2304
  9. Can't log on or boot into Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't log on or boot into Safe Mode: After running some virus scans for maintenance on my computer, (MalwareBytes, Emsisoft), I restarted the machine and wasn't able to log in to my account after that, and I can't get into Safe Mode at all, as the only options at the logon screen are Ease of Access and Network...
  10. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...: Good Evening, I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were...