Windows 10: Intermittent failure to run startup programs

Discus and support Intermittent failure to run startup programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Apologies if this is posted elsewhere. but I haven't been able to find anything recent about it..... I'm running build 9926 and I find that,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by greybat, Feb 10, 2015.

1. greybat Win User

Intermittent failure to run startup programs

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere. but I haven't been able to find anything recent about it.....

I'm running build 9926 and I find that, intermittently, no startup programs (i.e. programs registered under registry "Run" keys - both HKLM and HKCU - or in Start Menu\Programs\Startup etc.) do not run either on restart or reboot from shutdown. Sometimes everything starts fine, and sometimes it doesn't!

I have found something similar related to shortcuts with elevated permissions, but I do not believe that is the case with my problem, since the problem is not consistent, and I cannot find anything to relate it to.

Has anyone else noticed this, and is there any workaround?

Thanks

:)

greybat, Feb 10, 2015
  2. Lucas_124 Win User

Programs not loading

after startup, I will try to run programs but nothing happens except for an intermittent busy circle on the mouse cursor. Even task manager fails to run. My computer is essentially useless, help!

Lucas_124, Feb 10, 2015
  3. windows store not working

I have had frequent intermittent problems with the Windows Store and method 2 was very helpful. By disabling all startup applications/services, the Store worked again. Then I re-enabled the one I really needed and it continued to work after reboot. Hence,
    one of the startup applications was at fault. I did not try to narrow it down further because the others were really not needed at startup. Most of them were program update checkers and that can be done whenever the program is run, not at startup.

So thank you for this great advice!

Steve

SteveHursh, Feb 10, 2015
  4. usasma Win User

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt). Press Enter after each one:
    Code: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth[/quote] Code: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth[/quote] Code: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth[/quote] FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: Repair a Windows Image

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

usasma, Feb 16, 2015
  5. greybat Win User
    Thanks for your suggestions. I ran the 3 DISM commands with these results:

Intermittent failure to run startup programs [​IMG]

(Hope you can read them!)

SCANNOW failed with the following message after "Verification 3% complete":

Intermittent failure to run startup programs [​IMG]
    "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

The final line in sfcdetails.txt reads:

2015-02-17 12:05:39, Info CSI 0000001d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"secdrv.sys" of Macrovision-Protection-SafeDisc, Version = 10.0.9926.0, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file cannot be decompressed

From what I can gather from further googling, secdrv.sys is a regular part of Windows. I believe it arrived on my system from a clean install of Win8.1 immediately prior to installing build 9926 of the Win10 TP from downloaded iso file obtained from microsoft.com.

Please let me know if sending you the DISM log would be of any benefit!

Thanks again for your help.

Graham

Edit: I have since attempted to run sfc from boot following the suggestions in the link. I believe my boot directory is C:\ (thats what Disk Management indicates) and the windows directory is c:\windows. I use those parameters for offbootdir and offwindir, but the process comes to completion in about 30 seconds. I don't think that's right!!!!

greybat, Feb 16, 2015
  6. The first time I installed Widows 10, there were some weird problems. So I wiped the drive and installed W-10 again.
    The second time everything worked OK. Go figure!

But we has similar problems on the beta versions of Win-8. Nothing new!

*Cool

TechnoMage, Feb 19, 2015
  7. greybat Win User
    Funny you should say that.....

I'm just about finished doing just that, and the problem seems to have gone away. This time I re-formatted the hard drive, then re-installed from bootable flash drive.

Thanks for your help.

greybat, Feb 19, 2015
  8. usasma Win User

Sometimes the OS seems to need a kick in the behind to get it working properly.
    Glad that it worked for you!

usasma, Feb 19, 2015
  9. greybat Win User
    I think I may have a clue as to the cause of this problem, in case anyone else experiences the same symptoms!

I suspect that the cause is related to the Atheros Combo Wireless & Bluetooth driver (version 8.0.1.318_Win81x64) that I acquired from the Acer website. My computer is an Acer E5-511 model.

I noticed yesterday that the existing BT driver updated by Win10 appeared to be working, but would not identify and pair with any BT devices. So I ran the setup program for the (Win 8.1) driver from Acer, which installed OK, and I was then able to pair with BT headphones. However, the next restart did not run the startup programs.

So, I have done a System Restore and it appears the problem has gone away again. Not only that, I can still pair my BT headphones! So I guess I will stick with the Win10 driver!

Edit: Also tried to update the Atheros AR956x WLAN driver only (no BT component) to 10.0.0.285. Same problem, so maybe it's the WLAN driver component causing the problem.

greybat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Intermittent failure to run startup programs - Similar Threads - Intermittent failure run

2. There is a app call "Program" running on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There is a app call "Program" running on startup: I noticed I had this app called "Program" Running on startupI also noticed, it's publisher was unknown, and I can't seem to find its file location. Was wondering if anyone thinks I should disable it from startup?-Thanks Ryder Jennewine**edit** i sent in replies the pictures...
  3. Windows 10 running slow on startup and freezing intermittently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 running slow on startup and freezing intermittently: The issue, I normally startup steam, Firefox, and Discord on my computer. This is a custom build, and I will list all of the components below.MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon MSI motherboard MS-7b9364 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 RAM AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 core processor 4276 Mhz EVGA GTX...
  4. Windows 10 running slow on startup and freezing intermittently

Windows 10 running slow on startup and freezing intermittently: The issue, I normally startup steam, Firefox, and Discord on my computer. This is a custom build, and I will list all of the components below.MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon MSI motherboard MS-7b9364 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 RAM AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 core processor 4276 Mhz EVGA GTX...
  5. Windows 10 running slow on startup and freezing intermittently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. How to run a program on startup silently?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to run a program on startup silently?: I'm a Windows user and currently, I'm having a problem here. So I want to run some programs on startup so I can save a few clicks but I also want it to run in the background instead of running on screen so it won't disturb my work, can someone help me?I'm using Windows 8.1...
  7. Intermittent Connection Failure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Intermittent Connection Failure: There is a website server that is getting intermittent connection failures. The log is showing just a 500 status. This is what the log shows me from time to time. /login.aspNULL200 /NULL302...
  8. Run a program at startup

Run a program at startup: Greetings, I already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I would like to have a command script (.cmd) run automatically, making sure: 1. The program doesn't start until the user logs in 2. The program doesn't start for other users I thought I could use this startup...
  9. Mysterious Programs Running at Startup

Mysterious Programs Running at Startup: I sporadically get unexpected "need to update" warnings from various programs. Right now, the laptop on which I'm typing this message gave a warning, after waking up from hibernation, from "Auslogics Driver Updater" asserting that several drivers need updating. I don't see...
  10. Intermittent freeze on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent freeze on startup: I have had this issue since I bought the machine a year ago. It has occurred intermittently from the very first fresh install of Windows 10 (without connecting to the internet), so almost certain it's not due to malware but more likely a driver/hardware issue. 4/5 times...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. intermittent Windows not loading at startup