Windows 10: Intermittent Folder issue

Discus and support Intermittent Folder issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My clean install of Windows 10 intermittently forgets what a folder is. It also constantly resets the default program settings at random times,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NumitorJatal, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Intermittent Folder issue

My clean install of Windows 10 intermittently forgets what a folder is. It also constantly resets the default program settings at random times, removing all my settings to default. After I set my defaults, usually about 20 minutes late it resets them all back to default. I believe the two issues may be linked.

At least once per day, usually more often, when I try to open a folder, it gives no response. Occasionally it gives an "internal error" message. At first I had thought it was a double click issue so I got into the habit of right clicking and choosing "Open" in the context menu. However, often when it doesn't open, the open option is not in the context menu. I have had it cycle through different context menus within seconds of each other as I right click over and over hoping it remembers what a folder is. Today I clicked on one folder and had no Open, then clicked on another folder in the same tree where it showed the correct menu, then clicked back on the first folder only to have the wrong menu again.

I'm including three screenshots to show what I mean. I took a picture of my screen instead of snipping in case that changed the results.

Intermittent Folder issue 4bb1a467-cf31-414a-b5d2-e90c5428f02d?upload=true.jpg

Intermittent Folder issue 0e256136-03dd-4412-84e4-557650b59cf1?upload=true.jpg

Intermittent Folder issue 08db8d92-590d-4387-9bac-f789893a72d3?upload=true.jpg

All 3 of them are folders in the same folder. The first one displays the wrong menu, the other two show the correct one. After these three I tried the first folder again and got the correct menu that time. This is frustrating as hell as sometimes it can be up to 5 minutes of me trying to open the folders before the correct context items will finally appear.

:)

NumitorJatal, Jun 7, 2020
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Jun 7, 2020
  3. Naveen_M Win User
    Intermittent internet connection issues

Hello Trevor,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

There are some reasons that causes this error connection reset. Let’s try to identify the root cause and apply the appropriate solution to fix this.

I suggest you to run the network troubleshooter first, and check if the issue persists. To run the troubleshooter, follow the below steps:

1. Press ‘Windows + X’ key.
    2. Select ‘Control panel’
    3. In the search box, type ‘Troubleshooter’ and then click ‘Troubleshooting’
    4. Under ‘Network and Internet’ click on ‘Network adapter’ and click on ‘Next’ button.

Try to update the network adapter and check if the issue persists.

1. Press ‘Windows + X’ key.
    2. Expand the network and adapter’
    3. Right click on the device, and select ‘Update driver software’
    4. Restart the computer and check.
    5. You can also check for updates from the system manufacturer site.

Check proxy settings by doing the below steps:

1. Go to Control panel – Internet options.
    2. Click on ‘Connections’ tab.
    3. Click on ‘LAN settings’
    4. Uncheck ‘Use a Proxy server for your LAN’ check box, and click ‘Ok’

I also suggest you to reset IP Address by following the below steps.

1. Press Windows key, and type ‘Command prompt’
    2. Right click on it and select ‘Run as administrator’
    3. Type the following command without quotes, and press enter: ‘netsh winsock reset catalog’
    4. Restart the system once and check if the issue persists.

Try to disable Kaspersky firewall and check if that helps

1. Open the Kaspersky Internet Security program.
    2. Click the ‘Settings’ button.
    3. Click the ‘Firewall component’ option under Protection Center.
    4. Select the ‘Enable Firewall’ option to remove the check mark.

Hope it helps. Please reach back if the issue persists.

Thanks and regards

Naveen M

Naveen_M, Jun 7, 2020
  4. Intermittent Folder issue

Intermittent Issues with Permissions and Saving

Hi Human,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you recently made any changes on the device prior to this issue?
    3. Does this issue occur only with the particular application?

Step 1

Open the notepad application, try to save a test file and check if you are able to save the file. If you still gets the same error, then follow the bellow suggestions.

Try the below suggested step to verify whether if you have logged in as an administrator.

Step 2

1. Open the run command (Windows + R key). Type in “Netplwiz” and click on
      Enter to open the User Account settings box.
    2. Now select the user account that is giving you the error message.
    3. Click on Properties button and click on
      Group Membership tab.
    4. Here you can set the level of access that you want to give the user.
    5. Select Administrator and click
      Apply/Ok
      and exit.
    Restart your computer and check the status of the issue.

Step 3

Sometimes the user profile corruption might also be the possible cause for this issue. Hence you may try creating a new user profile and check the status of the issue.

Refer the article Create a local user or administrator account in
    Windows 10

You may also refer "Access Denied" or other errors
    when you access or work with files and folders in Windows for
    more information about the permission issues.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

Intermittent Folder issue

1. Intermittent Folder issue - Similar Threads - Intermittent Folder issue

2. Intermittent Keyboard Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent Keyboard Issues: Hi all,I am currently experiencing intermittent issues with the in-built keyboard on my Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14IIL05 where a select few keys on the keyboard on a given stroke will either print 1 2 3 or even 4 characters or no character at all. So when typing with these keys, it...
  3. Intermittent Keyboard Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittent Keyboard Issues: Hi all,I am currently experiencing intermittent issues with the in-built keyboard on my Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14IIL05 where a select few keys on the keyboard on a given stroke will either print 1 2 3 or even 4 characters or no character at all. So when typing with these keys, it...
  4. Intermittent Audio Issues Squirrels

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittent Audio Issues Squirrels: I've got a super weird technical issue that I wanted to share with you folks, to see if my thinking is correct. A laptop I'm working on has an intermittent issue that causes my voice to become high-pitched it's like listening to a high-pitched cybernetic squirrel, that...
  5. Intermittent connection issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Intermittent connection issues: I've had issues connecting to wifi for a little while now. When I turn on my laptop it says no wifi networks can be found. I've tried various methods as well as restarting my laptop several times until the problem seems to resolve on its own. My wifi then works for the rest...
  6. intermittent Ethernet issues.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    intermittent Ethernet issues.: I've been having intermittent issues with my ethernet cable for the last week or so for 5-30minutes it will go down once or twice a day at that time the WIFI still works so i have to switch to it. has anyone had a similar issue and would know how to fix it submitted by...
  7. Intermittent Mouse Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intermittent Mouse Issues: Hi guys, Having some issues with a wireless mouse running Windows 10, although I suspect maybe not the mouse at all. When I try to mouse over and highlight text to copy and paste, it can take me a few attempts to get it to highlight. It might highlight some letters, miss...
  8. intermittant start up issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    intermittant start up issues: could this be my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intermittant-start-up-issues/dd6c6251-47a3-416c-b5ca-f42cac222397
  9. Shared Folders Intermittent Disconnect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared Folders Intermittent Disconnect: Greetings, I am new to this forum. My question is in regards to shared folders. I run a desktop and laptop connected by ethernet, through a router. Both machines run Windows 10 Pro. Both machines have static IP addresses setup in the router. I do not use a software...
  10. Intermittent Sleep Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent Sleep Issues: About 50% of the time, if I put the Win10 computer to sleep (either manually or via regular time of inactivity), it sleeps and wakes normally. However, starting 2 months ago, I randomly get a failed sleep. Symptoms: * Screen sleeps, mouse and keyboard sleep * Computer...