Windows 10: intermittent freezing

Discus and support intermittent freezing in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Because my computer had become very slow I recently performed a complete re-install of Windows, Office 365 and Photoshop. I deleted unwanted data files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BobAugusteyn, Aug 16, 2022.

1. intermittent freezing

Because my computer had become very slow I recently performed a complete re-install of Windows, Office 365 and Photoshop. I deleted unwanted data files and performed defrag. No other software was installed. This seemed to work initially. However, over about a week problems emerged1. The computer became slow again. Opening programmes such as Excel or Word took 10-20 seconds compared with 2-3 in the past.2. There was a lag of 1-2 seconds before a key stroke was recognized.3. Frequently the computer freezes for about 20 seconds before keyboard and mouse work again.4. When opening a web site w

:)

BobAugusteyn, Aug 16, 2022
  2. Mooly Win User

Intermittent Freezing linked to Cursor movement

That sounds like a more deep seated issue, perhaps something you have installed is intermittently running and using all available resources.

It may be worth you opening Task Manager (Press Ctrl > Shift >Esc together) and see if anything unusual appears. This shows task manager, the spike was when I opened it, all is quiet afterwards. If you have lots of CPU or Disk activity then click the appropriate item and see what is using all the resources. You can also view the 'Processes' tab in Task Manager which will list what is using what.

intermittent freezing [​IMG]

intermittent freezing [​IMG]

Mooly, Aug 16, 2022
  3. PilotGW Win User
    Odd intermittent freezing

Okay, I really don't know what's going on right now.

I've had several more freezes and another blue screen over the past week. All whilst gaming.

Yesterday I had a freeze playing Assassin's Creed 3, followed by CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED...which left no dump. Nothing of note in Event Viewer.

Today I've just had another freeze in Assassin's Creed 3, remarkably similar to the others. I was playing and I noticed that the save icon remained on screen. I managed to alt-tab back to the desktop this time, however, when I tried to open Windows Explorer nothing happened and it slowed down to a complete freeze. No blue screen and once again, nothing of note in Event viewer.

One curious thing I noted was that when I tried to unplug my USB mouse and I can still hear the connect/disconnect sound. The disk activity light is still going while it's frozen and my components are still warm to the touch as if they are still rendering, but Windows is completely dead.

Since last week I've:

• Run MemTest again for 4+4 passes...no errors
    • Run all disk diagnostics on all drives again in SeaTools, Samsung Magician, HD Tune, CHKDSK...all pass
    • sfc /scannow...all fine
    • DISM...all fine
    • Been logging in HWInfo...only possibility is that is reading my PSU rails as being quite low, but I know that's not usually accurate
    • I've emailed Samsung as I've noticed that in SMART for my NVMe drive I have 1200 Error Information Log Entries and counting, but they say the drives are fine and advise me to reinstall Windows.

I'm still convinced it's an SSD problem, but I can't prove it. Does this sound like a duff SSD?

PilotGW, Aug 16, 2022
  4. badcrc Win User

intermittent freezing

Creating new folder causes freeze - intermittent problem

When I create a new folder on the desktop, then try to give it a name my computer freezes. Screen goes pale with a spinning circle, then after a minute or two it unfreezes - the folder is there but called 'New Folder'. I try to rename it and the same thing happens.

This is an intermittent problem, and at first I thought it just happened on the desktop, but today the same thing happened when creating a new folder in the music library. System is Windows 10 Pro x64, 2600K 8GB ram, SSD, Classic Shell, temps OK, no malware.

Any suggestions to fix this welcome. I worried that the next freeze will need a hard reset - lose any unsaved work etc.

badcrc, Aug 16, 2022
Thema:

intermittent freezing

1. intermittent freezing - Similar Threads - intermittent freezing

2. My Dell laptop intermittently freezes up and crashes - BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Dell laptop intermittently freezes up and crashes - BSOD: Below is what I get from the WhoCrashed app and the system info. I have made sure all the drivers are updated but that didn't help. Any help would be most appreciated.Crash dump file:C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\041924-7984-01.dmp MinidumpBugcheck code:0x9F0x3, 0xFFFF8E0225F2FD50,...
  3. My Dell laptop intermittently freezes up and crashes - BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Dell laptop intermittently freezes up and crashes - BSOD: Below is what I get from the WhoCrashed app and the system info. I have made sure all the drivers are updated but that didn't help. Any help would be most appreciated.Crash dump file:C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\041924-7984-01.dmp MinidumpBugcheck code:0x9F0x3, 0xFFFF8E0225F2FD50,...
  4. Windows Domain PC intermittent encounter issues like freezing when browsing windows file...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Domain PC intermittent encounter issues like freezing when browsing windows file...: Some weird issues encounter. The windows PC in my main office does not have error such issues. But once they moved in to the branch office the issues will intermittently appear. The branch office has branch server setup such as domain controller that connect back to the main...
  5. Windows Domain PC intermittent encounter issues like freezing when browsing windows file...

Windows Domain PC intermittent encounter issues like freezing when browsing windows file...: Some weird issues encounter. The windows PC in my main office does not have error such issues. But once they moved in to the branch office the issues will intermittently appear. The branch office has branch server setup such as domain controller that connect back to the main...
  6. Windows Domain PC intermittent encounter issues like freezing when browsing windows file...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Intermittent mouse and keyboard Freezes, Need Help, Very Detailed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent mouse and keyboard Freezes, Need Help, Very Detailed.: Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor 3.80 GHz Installed RAM 24.0 GB Mother Board; NZXT B55064-bit operating system, x64-based processor with Windows 11 home.Razer Kraken KeyboardRazer Naga MouseMy keyboard and Mouse intermittently freeze when I log in, Surf the web,...
  8. Intermittent mouse and keyboard Freezes, Need Help, Very Detailed.

Intermittent mouse and keyboard Freezes, Need Help, Very Detailed.: Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor 3.80 GHz Installed RAM 24.0 GB Mother Board; NZXT B55064-bit operating system, x64-based processor with Windows 11 home.Razer Kraken KeyboardRazer Naga MouseMy keyboard and Mouse intermittently freeze when I log in, Surf the web,...
  9. Intermittent mouse and keyboard Freezes, Need Help, Very Detailed.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery [REDUX}

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery [REDUX}: * Previous thread: Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery when frozenThis is the original post on Dec 22, 2022:New build PC. Mouse will occasionally freeze and is jittery while frozen. Switching to a different mouse has no affect. I use a Kensington Expert...