Windows 10: Intermittent Hard Drive Detection Problem

Discus and support Intermittent Hard Drive Detection Problem in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After full install of Windows 10 pro two of six internal hard drives slip out of detection removing access to data. Manual rescanning of the device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by paraggi, Jan 26, 2019.

1. paraggi Win User

Intermittent Hard Drive Detection Problem

After full install of Windows 10 pro two of six internal hard drives slip out of detection removing access to data. Manual rescanning of the device manager brings them back temporarily. System is i5 on Intel DZ77GA 70k , which ran on windows 7 for more than 5 years with no problems. No hardware changes have taken place between formatting the host drive C: (solid state Kingston 500G) all drives are sata, no cables or ports were changed since running perfectly on windows 7, but I have verified the connections of all drives. I have run troubleshooter and reinstalled disk drivers, and tried reassigning drive letters.

This problem is more than just inconvenient (refreshing device manager once a day) Its also preventing my sync back ups to run at night because the drives are not found when the script runs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:)

paraggi, Jan 26, 2019

2. My Seagate external hard drive is not detected when plugged in to USB port of my laptop using windows 10?

Hello Lingam,

As you are facing issues with accessing hard drive on your computer, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access the hard drive?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 26, 2019
  3. SVLingam Win User
    My Seagate external hard drive is not detected when plugged in to USB port of my laptop using windows 10?

Thanks for your response.

I have tried all the steps provided, however in vain. The external hard drive is not identified at all in any of the the USB ports when connected. The USB ports identify other external Flash drives and devices. However this drive is detected in another laptop
    using Windows 7 OS. Please advise further.

Regards

SVLingam, Jan 26, 2019
  4. Intermittent Hard Drive Detection Problem

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

Intermittent Hard Drive Detection Problem

1. Intermittent Hard Drive Detection Problem - Similar Threads - Intermittent Hard Drive

2. hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drive not detected: hard drive not detected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/48576ba9-4421-4ddc-b6dc-3473fea08eee
  3. hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard drive not detected: hard drive not detected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/48576ba9-4421-4ddc-b6dc-3473fea08eee
  4. hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drive problem: after formatting my pc when i shuting down my pc and turn on it say not bootable device found in every shutdown must to installing windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-problem/40b5440e-7efa-4a87-a112-466985b71eab
  6. Second Hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Hard drive not detected: So my friend has a hard drive that fully works but he wants to recover his data. I plug it in to my computer and it’s not detected on file explorer. It is detected on Disk management. I want to access through file explorer. I try to assign a letter but it doesn’t work. I need...
  7. Second Hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second Hard drive not detected: So my friend has a hard drive that fully works but he wants to recover his data. I plug it in to my computer and it’s not detected on file explorer. It is detected on Disk management. I want to access through file explorer. I try to assign a letter but it doesn’t work. I need...
  8. Hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive not detected: What could be the possible reason that my external hard drive is not appearing on the pc bios screen but working with my mobile? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/6757b01a-2bbc-48d4-a3f3-b128115ee10f"
  9. Hard drive problems?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive problems?: Hello my lenovo loptop ideapad 100-15ISK is suddenly down and im not sure but when windows didn’t load properly and then from then on it had boot problems after that i tried searhing for solutions through automatic repair advanced options cmd method and i type C: or the...
  10. DVD drive intermittently detected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DVD drive intermittently detected: Ever since updating windows 10 to version 1809 the DVD drive was not being detected at all. After following all the sugestions from help forums the drive (sata) is now detected but intermittently. Each time the computer is switched on it is hit & miss whether the drive will...