Windows 10: Intermittent HDD Stall/Noise Which Can Be Fixed By Win10 Reinstall

Discus and support Intermittent HDD Stall/Noise Which Can Be Fixed By Win10 Reinstall in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 Home desktop with a SSD containing my Win10 installation and an internal HDD which I use for applications/storage. About a year... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BuzzClick, Aug 6, 2019.

1. BuzzClick Win User

Intermittent HDD Stall/Noise Which Can Be Fixed By Win10 Reinstall

I have a Windows 10 Home desktop with a SSD containing my Win10 installation and an internal HDD which I use for applications/storage.

About a year ago, my HDD (Toshiba) started making noises and stalling. The behavior would make a buzz as if the disk was spinning up, run for a while, and then make a loud pop/click after about 30 seconds or so (the interval was not consistent). Often any active application running on the disk at the time would stall during the initial buzz. At the time, I formatted and restored the data on the HDD, but that did not help. Finally, I just did a complete reinstall of Windows 10 on my SSD (while leaving the HDD untouched), and the HDD behaved properly for about a year after that. However, within the past few weeks this problem popped up again. Thinking it may just be a problem with the HDD, I went out and bought a new HDD (Seagate) to replace the existing one, and after cloning the old disk to the new one I found that the new HDD is behaving similarly. (The new drive isn't as noisy as the other one, but it still makes some buzzing noises which are accompanied by stalling.)

I have tried to the following in order to resolve this issue:

1. Set the power profile to High Performance and change "Turn Hard Disk Off After" from 20 minutes to 0 minutes. (Which I understand should disable this feature entirely.) Didn't help.

2. Run chkdsk to look for errors. There weren't any.

3. Check for HDD driver updates. Didn't find any for either the old or the new HDD.

4. Try to disable Advanced Power Management for the HDD. It was off (unsupported?) on the first drive. I disabled it on the second one, but it seemed to re-enable itself (?!?!) after I turned it off using CrystalDiskInfo. Regardless, disabling APM didn't seem to help.

5. Look at the SMART stats for the drive to see if there is anything that grabs my attention. Didn't see anything notable (to me at least).

6. As mentioned above, reinstalling Windows 10 on my SSD resolved the issue last time. I would like to avoid having to do that again.

Given that a Windows reinstall fixed the issue, I think that this is a Windows problem of some sort. It sort of seems like it may be related to power management or driver settings. Another thing to note is that this is a Dell prebuilt computer, and I would not rule out the possibility that the pre-installed Dell SupportAssist application could have "optimized" some Windows settings for me. (I have uninstalled SupportAssist at this point.) However, I do not know what other HDD settings are available to tweak. Anyone have any suggestions on other things to try?

Thanks.

:)

BuzzClick, Aug 6, 2019

2. Reinstalling Win10 on new HDD

I upgraded to Windows 10 for free. I'm happy with it, however my HDD is failing. Strange noises, random BSODs, sometimes fine. I am using the media creation tool now, whilst my rig is stable, to create a USB installer.

Question: When I'm installing Win10 it'll ask me for product key, which I've read in other threads I should skip. How will Win10 then determine my product key, version etc?

NiallYeldham, Aug 6, 2019
  3. Johankaan Win User
    unlock hdd

Johankaan, Aug 6, 2019
  4. Intermittent HDD Stall/Noise Which Can Be Fixed By Win10 Reinstall

About HDD Noise

I got these type of noises from where my HDD located (HDD No:- WD10JPVX-60JC3T0). Does anyone have any idea what type of sound is this? (like, clicking noise, head stuck noise, torn head noise, platter scratch noise, etc)

When the system boots up:-

In the time of shutting down:-

When opening google chrome:-

When the system boots up or in time of playing games or running a large program like Photoshop or HDD working at 100% sound is higher than usual. Another thing I noticed, when I make a clean install of Windows 10 (no program installed on the system, 'there
    is no such sound or you can say very much less sound'), and then I started installing applications these types of sound arises.

Can anyone tell me that my HDD is damaged or not?

BINOYGHOSH, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

Intermittent HDD Stall/Noise Which Can Be Fixed By Win10 Reinstall

1. Intermittent HDD Stall/Noise Which Can Be Fixed By Win10 Reinstall - Similar Threads - Intermittent HDD Stall

2. Can not reinstall Win 11 on new hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not reinstall Win 11 on new hdd: Windows 11 will not install on new hdd. Ran Ok on this machine until I had to replace the hdd with a larger one - 1Tb. When I run the USB install for Win 11 pro 22H2, accept "I do not have a product key" and select Windows 11 Pro it comes back and says "This PC can not run...
  3. Intermittent white noise window flicker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent white noise window flicker: Hello dear community!I have this issue where windows of varying sizes appear at random places on my monitor.They only appear for a fraction of a second though.In the beginning when this first started happening I really thought I was losing my mind, especially cause they...
  4. Intermittent white noise window flicker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittent white noise window flicker: Hello dear community!I have this issue where windows of varying sizes appear at random places on my monitor.They only appear for a fraction of a second though.In the beginning when this first started happening I really thought I was losing my mind, especially cause they...
  5. How can I fix stalling or freezing screen?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I fix stalling or freezing screen?: Issues Stalling of screen or software while it seems to update or save In the evenings seems to be even worse and sometimes every minute Sometimes even just one file is enough to produce the horror When there are more than one Word file and online sites open it is...
  6. Random stalling after win10 upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random stalling after win10 upgrade: Hello all! I am counting on the wisdom of this group, as i think I have run out of all options. I just recently upgraded to windows 10 from 7 keep files and settings and all is not fine. The system hangs it seems at random intervals, 5 - 15 minutes. Afterwards only a...
  7. PC stalls intermittently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC stalls intermittently: Hello, We have a user at our company that is currently experiencing intermittent stalls. The best way I can describe the issue is the user will be working and the PC will non-responsive and applications will begin to flicker. If you try opening Task Manager to view running...
  8. About HDD Noise

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    About HDD Noise: I got these type of noises from where my HDD located (HDD No:- WD10JPVX-60JC3T0). Does anyone have any idea what type of sound is this? (like, clicking noise, head stuck noise, torn head noise, platter scratch noise, etc) When the system boots up:-...
  9. Trying to reinstall windows and it has stalled

in Windows 10 Customization
    Trying to reinstall windows and it has stalled: at the window that says hi there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-reinstall-windows-and-it-has-stalled/a148784b-5ed5-4e5e-a63d-78e5160445fe
  10. Intermittent "Beeping" Noise With Windows 10 & Two HDD's???

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent "Beeping" Noise With Windows 10 & Two HDD's???: I'm new here and I upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of days ago and I love it! I've only got a couple of issues: Ever since the first week in May, there's been an intermittent "beeping" sound (kinda like the sound you hear when a USB device is either plugged in or...