Windows 10: Intermittent high disk activity on SSD - pagefile issue?

Discus and support Intermittent high disk activity on SSD - pagefile issue? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Not sure if I should post in this section or Anti-virus / security, but feel it's unlikely to be a virus issue so will try in here. I've recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TenneR, May 4, 2021.

1. TenneR Win User

Intermittent high disk activity on SSD - pagefile issue?

Not sure if I should post in this section or Anti-virus / security, but feel it's unlikely to be a virus issue so will try in here. I've recently noticed that the hard disk activity light is always busy, so I took a look under task manager to discover disk usage to be around the 90% mark and memory around 3.1 of 3.7gb used (4gb installed). I'm running Windows 10 on a 120gb SSD which only has around 1.3gb free. Funny thing is, the high disk activity / memory usage doesn't happen daily - just every few days. This pagefile sits at around 6.5gb on the root of drive C. When my system gets itself into this mode, it could take around 5 hours to sort itself out. I am however able to browse the internet and perform other tasks, but as you'd imagine, even starting up calculator could take time. Firing up Firefox could take 5 seconds. Viewing Disk details under resource monitor - with Total (B/sec) column in descending order, the 'image' culprits seems to be the following (with C:\pagefile.sys (Page File) under File column for each): svchost.exe (wsappx -p) Memory Compression svchost.exe (netsvcs -p) perfmon.exe MsMpEng.exe Does this just look like a space issue on the drive with windows trying to compress and manage resources? Takes a long time though. Disk activity is high whilst disconnected to the internet and no browser open, but I did notice a couple of weeks ago that the high disk activity only occurred when I had Firefox opened but not connected to the net. Any ideas?

:)

TenneR, May 4, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

It's very simple- you need to make MORE SPACE on your disk.

You do not have enough free space. I have given ways to recover some.

Post a screenshot of your task manager when your PC is running slowly similar to this:

Intermittent high disk activity on SSD - pagefile issue? [​IMG]

dalchina, May 5, 2021
  3. TenneR Win User

Thank you both for your replies.

It's just an aging i3 3320 desktop machine which I fire up for daily web browsing etc. Has 120gb SSD and 4gb of DDR3.

So it's safe to assume this level of activity is unlike to be virus related?

I had to shut it down last night after the pagefile / compression (?) activity continued for 10+ hours. On starting it back up today, it seemed to have continued where it left off, but seemed to have settled to normal disk usage after 30 minutes or so.

The high disk / mem activity is guaranteed to restart in the new 72 hours. I'd have thought if windows is managing the low space issue, I would see high disk / memory usage daily?

TenneR, May 5, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

1.3Gb is far too small an amount of free space. Try
    Free Up Drive Space in Windows 10

And in particular use e.g. Wiztree (free) to look for, say, .wer, dmp, tmp files taking a lot of space after you've done some routine cleaning as per that tutorial.

Intermittent high disk activity on SSD - pagefile issue? [​IMG]

I have no idea what your PC is- no specs given (click 'My Computers' below my post) - if you have a second disk, consider storing e.g. personal data on that.

Look for larger programs you don't need you can uninstall.

A 120Gb is somewhat small- these days there's not a great price differential between 120Gb & 256Gb disks.

Note that any Win 10 upgrade (every 6 months typically) requires around 25-30Gb free.

Memory compression is related to paging but not equivalent to it.

dalchina, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Intermittent high disk activity on SSD - pagefile issue? - Similar Threads - Intermittent high disk

2. Cloning low capacity SSD to a high Capacity SSD disk before Activating the Windows on a new...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning low capacity SSD to a high Capacity SSD disk before Activating the Windows on a new...: I have bought a new MiniPC with 500 GB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 preinstalled with OEM Windows 11 Pro.I have not Activated the Windows 11 Pro yet. Can I first clone the preinstalled 500 GB SSD to a new 2 TB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 before activating the Windows? And then Activate...
  3. Cloning low capacity SSD to a high Capacity SSD disk before Activating the Windows on a new...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning low capacity SSD to a high Capacity SSD disk before Activating the Windows on a new...: I have bought a new MiniPC with 500 GB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 preinstalled with OEM Windows 11 Pro.I have not Activated the Windows 11 Pro yet. Can I first clone the preinstalled 500 GB SSD to a new 2 TB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 before activating the Windows? And then Activate...
  4. Windows 10 Intermittent Freezing and 100% Disk Usage on SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Intermittent Freezing and 100% Disk Usage on SSD: I am running Windows 10 on a desktop. I have been running this computer off of a small 250gb SSD for a few years now. But the past couple weeks I have developed a problem where my PC will randomly lock up for about a minute and the disk usage will shoot to 100%. However, it...
  5. Windows 10 Intermittent Freezing and 100% Disk Usage on SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Intermittent Freezing and 100% Disk Usage on SSD: I am running Windows 10 on a desktop. I have been running this computer off of a small 250gb SSD for a few years now. But the past couple weeks I have developed a problem where my PC will randomly lock up for about a minute and the disk usage will shoot to 100%. However, it...
  6. Windows 10 Intermittent Freezing and 100% Disk Usage on SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Intermittent Freezes Due to High Disk Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intermittent Freezes Due to High Disk Usage: Hello, so I built my Windows computer about a year ago and I've been having this issue ever since and I haven't been able to fix it despite numerous attempts. The situation is that about every hour the applications on my computer will freeze for about 10 seconds. I can move...
  8. SSD Disk Active time 100%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Disk Active time 100%: Hi, I have a relatively fresh installation of Windows 10 but it often gets very laggy. - Any window takes a while to open - Even typing on the keyboard has a delay - Programs not responding I did the usual checks such as - Antivirus / Antispyware - Drivers update...
  9. Extremely high intermittent disk usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely high intermittent disk usage: Hello, From sometime in October, after an update, there have been periods, sometimes intermittent, sometime persisting for a long time, when Disk usage spikes up to 100%, and makes a lot of things unusable. I did some researching, and disabled a bunch of stuff, like...
  10. 2 instances of the pagefile on separate disks

in Windows 10 Support
    2 instances of the pagefile on separate disks: HI there! Win 10 Home Version 1709 OS Build 16299.125 My desktop PC has 3 internal disks: (C) 250GB SSD, (D) 894GB SSD and (E) 3TB HDD. There is a pagefile on disk D and another one on disk E, which is just a storage disk. Both files have the exact same size of...