Windows 10: Intermittent internet connection issue with WiFi - How do I fix?

Discus and support Intermittent internet connection issue with WiFi - How do I fix? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Dell laptop connected by wifi to a Deco M5 mesh wifi box that is plugged into a VirginMedia router. Nothing has changed in my setup recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mikemagill, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Intermittent internet connection issue with WiFi - How do I fix?

I have a Dell laptop connected by wifi to a Deco M5 mesh wifi box that is plugged into a VirginMedia router. Nothing has changed in my setup recently but I am not getting regular but intermittent occurrences where my laptop is still showing as connected to the wifi but cannot connect to the internet.

I initially used to reboot the laptop to solve the connection issue but more recently have gone into the 'Network and Sharing Centre', selected my wifi network, clicked on 'Diagnose' and it has fixed the problem. Today it has happened twice so far. The first time it said 'Wifi doesn't have a valid IP configuration' and the second time it said, 'The default gateway is not available'. I have also rebooted the Wifi and the Router but the problem persists.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

:)

mikemagill, Sep 28, 2019
  2. Naveen_M Win User

Intermittent internet connection issues

Hello Trevor,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

There are some reasons that causes this error connection reset. Let’s try to identify the root cause and apply the appropriate solution to fix this.

I suggest you to run the network troubleshooter first, and check if the issue persists. To run the troubleshooter, follow the below steps:

1. Press ‘Windows + X’ key.
    2. Select ‘Control panel’
    3. In the search box, type ‘Troubleshooter’ and then click ‘Troubleshooting’
    4. Under ‘Network and Internet’ click on ‘Network adapter’ and click on ‘Next’ button.

Try to update the network adapter and check if the issue persists.

1. Press ‘Windows + X’ key.
    2. Expand the network and adapter’
    3. Right click on the device, and select ‘Update driver software’
    4. Restart the computer and check.
    5. You can also check for updates from the system manufacturer site.

Check proxy settings by doing the below steps:

1. Go to Control panel – Internet options.
    2. Click on ‘Connections’ tab.
    3. Click on ‘LAN settings’
    4. Uncheck ‘Use a Proxy server for your LAN’ check box, and click ‘Ok’

I also suggest you to reset IP Address by following the below steps.

1. Press Windows key, and type ‘Command prompt’
    2. Right click on it and select ‘Run as administrator’
    3. Type the following command without quotes, and press enter: ‘netsh winsock reset catalog’
    4. Restart the system once and check if the issue persists.

Try to disable Kaspersky firewall and check if that helps

1. Open the Kaspersky Internet Security program.
    2. Click the ‘Settings’ button.
    3. Click the ‘Firewall component’ option under Protection Center.
    4. Select the ‘Enable Firewall’ option to remove the check mark.

Hope it helps. Please reach back if the issue persists.

Thanks and regards

Naveen M

Naveen_M, Sep 28, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    Losing internet connection intermittently only on laptop

Hi Lindamartin,

For us to know the reason why your laptop is losing internet connection intermittently and how to fix it, we would like to know more information:

• Have you tried updating your drivers?
    • Did you receive any error messages?

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below and check if it will solve the issue:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Internet Connections.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2:

We suggest you to update the Network adapters driver from the Device Manager.

Follow the below steps:

1. Right click on Start button and click on
    Device Manager.

2. Expand the
    Network adapters driver from the list.

3. Right click on the driver and click on
    Update driver Software.

Post us back with the result.

Remon Ont, Sep 28, 2019
  4. Intermittent internet connection issue with WiFi - How do I fix?

Windows 10 Intermittent internet connection issue.

Hello Don,

Let's determine the cause of the issue. To get started, we'd like to get the following information:

• Did you make any changes to your computer's configuration prior to the issue?
    • How many devices are connected to your WiFi connection?
    • Does the issue persists with the other devices?

Meanwhile, Check this article:Fix network connection issues in Windows 10 for possible troubleshooting
    steps.

Looking forward to your response.

Antoneth Ber, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

Intermittent internet connection issue with WiFi - How do I fix?

1. Intermittent internet connection issue with WiFi - How do I fix? - Similar Threads - Intermittent internet connection

2. Intermittent wifi connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent wifi connection: Ever since windows 11 was downloaded on my laptop it has had intermittent wifi connection issues. It runs fine connected for several minutes but after a while it acts as though there is no wifi connection even though it shows that it has connection. The router isn’t the...
  3. Intermittent wifi connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittent wifi connection: Ever since windows 11 was downloaded on my laptop it has had intermittent wifi connection issues. It runs fine connected for several minutes but after a while it acts as though there is no wifi connection even though it shows that it has connection. The router isn’t the...
  4. Intermittent loss of connection with wifi, computer issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent loss of connection with wifi, computer issue: I have been having this issue for a few months now where randomly my internet connection will disconnect momentarily ranging from about a second to even 3 minutes however that was only once. Its essentially random from what I can see but happens about every 30 minutes and...
  5. Intermittent loss of connection with wifi, computer issue

Intermittent loss of connection with wifi, computer issue: I have been having this issue for a few months now where randomly my internet connection will disconnect momentarily ranging from about a second to even 3 minutes however that was only once. Its essentially random from what I can see but happens about every 30 minutes and...
  6. Intermittent loss of connection with wifi, computer issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Wifi connectivity intermittent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi connectivity intermittent: Hi, we have end devices running on windows with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8265.It has been sometime after identifying this intermittent connectivity issue when the Laptop is plug into power supply.Anyone has similar issue when the device was plug into power supply and get's...
  8. Wifi connectivity intermittent

Wifi connectivity intermittent: Hi, we have end devices running on windows with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8265.It has been sometime after identifying this intermittent connectivity issue when the Laptop is plug into power supply.Anyone has similar issue when the device was plug into power supply and get's...
  9. Internet connectivity and wifi Issue.

Internet connectivity and wifi Issue.: Hi community, I have HP pavillion laptop with 4 gb nividia graphics and ssd+hdd installed with windows 11. I reset my network setting once before connecting with my newly installed wifi connection but my speed on laptop is not upto the mark it ranges from 7mbps to 14mbps....
  10. Intermittent internet connection issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Intermittent internet connection issues: Morning All, My computer keeps getting intermittent internet connection issues since I switched the router supplied by the ISP to a draytek one. When browsing im getting random 'error connection reset' messages in chrome and same result for other browsers. The router is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix intermittent internet