Windows 10: Intermittent Issue With Run as Administrator

Discus and support Intermittent Issue With Run as Administrator in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My windows machine suddenly developed a problem that keeps me from running programs as administrator. Very strange, but the problem goes away about 20... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tom4400, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Tom4400 Win User

Intermittent Issue With Run as Administrator

My windows machine suddenly developed a problem that keeps me from running programs as administrator. Very strange, but the problem goes away about 20 minutes after boot up.

I am running Windows 10 pro Version 1909 Build 18363.476
    Dell R8 with i9-9900K, 32 GB

Running my normal, user account which is an admin acct

When I start or restart Windows I am unable to run programs as administrator
    - No response to Command Prompt as admin (non admin cmd works OK)
    - No response to Powershell as admin (non admin works OK)
    - File Explorer does not start when selected from task bar (however, if I click in the search window of start menu and select file explorer in the top apps section, it starts OK
    - OneDrive grayed out and unresponsive

Then - what seems me to be very weird -- after approx 20 minutes of on time, run as admin suddenly works again. And, the previously non responsive attempts to open file explorer, powershell as admin and cmd as admin suddenly open.

I have a second admin account that I set up for emergency use. That account does not exhibit this issue. If I log into my normal user account and have the run as admin issue described above and then switch users to the backup admin account, I find no issues with the backup account.

I am in over my head on this one. Have searched online sources for ideas. Have run sfc and dism. Ran DISM with /RestoreHealth, and it found some things to clean up, but the problem persists. Also updated to version 1909 since the issue started with the prior version. Have done all current window and driver and BIOS updates.

Appreciate any thought/ideas what I might try. Thanks!

:)

Tom4400, Dec 4, 2019
  2. Naveen_M Win User

Intermittent internet connection issues

Hello Trevor,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

There are some reasons that causes this error connection reset. Let’s try to identify the root cause and apply the appropriate solution to fix this.

I suggest you to run the network troubleshooter first, and check if the issue persists. To run the troubleshooter, follow the below steps:

1. Press ‘Windows + X’ key.
    2. Select ‘Control panel’
    3. In the search box, type ‘Troubleshooter’ and then click ‘Troubleshooting’
    4. Under ‘Network and Internet’ click on ‘Network adapter’ and click on ‘Next’ button.

Try to update the network adapter and check if the issue persists.

1. Press ‘Windows + X’ key.
    2. Expand the network and adapter’
    3. Right click on the device, and select ‘Update driver software’
    4. Restart the computer and check.
    5. You can also check for updates from the system manufacturer site.

Check proxy settings by doing the below steps:

1. Go to Control panel – Internet options.
    2. Click on ‘Connections’ tab.
    3. Click on ‘LAN settings’
    4. Uncheck ‘Use a Proxy server for your LAN’ check box, and click ‘Ok’

I also suggest you to reset IP Address by following the below steps.

1. Press Windows key, and type ‘Command prompt’
    2. Right click on it and select ‘Run as administrator’
    3. Type the following command without quotes, and press enter: ‘netsh winsock reset catalog’
    4. Restart the system once and check if the issue persists.

Try to disable Kaspersky firewall and check if that helps

1. Open the Kaspersky Internet Security program.
    2. Click the ‘Settings’ button.
    3. Click the ‘Firewall component’ option under Protection Center.
    4. Select the ‘Enable Firewall’ option to remove the check mark.

Hope it helps. Please reach back if the issue persists.

Thanks and regards

Naveen M

Naveen_M, Dec 4, 2019
  3. Intermittent Issues with Permissions and Saving

Hi Human,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you recently made any changes on the device prior to this issue?
    3. Does this issue occur only with the particular application?

Step 1

Open the notepad application, try to save a test file and check if you are able to save the file. If you still gets the same error, then follow the bellow suggestions.

Try the below suggested step to verify whether if you have logged in as an administrator.

Step 2

1. Open the run command (Windows + R key). Type in “Netplwiz” and click on
      Enter to open the User Account settings box.
    2. Now select the user account that is giving you the error message.
    3. Click on Properties button and click on
      Group Membership tab.
    4. Here you can set the level of access that you want to give the user.
    5. Select Administrator and click
      Apply/Ok
      and exit.
    Restart your computer and check the status of the issue.

Step 3

Sometimes the user profile corruption might also be the possible cause for this issue. Hence you may try creating a new user profile and check the status of the issue.

Refer the article Create a local user or administrator account in
    Windows 10

You may also refer "Access Denied" or other errors
    when you access or work with files and folders in Windows for
    more information about the permission issues.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Dec 4, 2019
  4. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Dec 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Intermittent Issue With Run as Administrator - Similar Threads - Intermittent Issue Run

2. Issues running CMD as administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues running CMD as administrator: When I click 'Run as administrator' nothing pops up. This seems to be a recurring issue with a lot of my programs especially my start button. I have tried restarting windows explorer on my taskbar and it works temporarily. There has to be corrupted files of some sort....
  3. Issues running CMD as administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues running CMD as administrator: When I click 'Run as administrator' nothing pops up. This seems to be a recurring issue with a lot of my programs especially my start button. I have tried restarting windows explorer on my taskbar and it works temporarily. There has to be corrupted files of some sort....
  4. Running into intermittent BSOD issues in recent weeks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Running into intermittent BSOD issues in recent weeks: Hello, I've been running into some random BSOD's in recent weeks on my Win 10 system. I was able to grab the minidump for the one that occurred this morning:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AklGsVXQcl_SlCGrqlqM9_hcZ6nu?e=nnPFycI did run a memory diagnostic and checking in the event viewer...
  5. Running into intermittent BSOD issues in recent weeks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running into intermittent BSOD issues in recent weeks: Hello, I've been running into some random BSOD's in recent weeks on my Win 10 system. I was able to grab the minidump for the one that occurred this morning:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AklGsVXQcl_SlCGrqlqM9_hcZ6nu?e=nnPFycI did run a memory diagnostic and checking in the event viewer...
  6. Running into intermittent BSOD issues in recent weeks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Cannot run as administrator - intermittent issue - 15 minutes after a restart run as admin...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot run as administrator - intermittent issue - 15 minutes after a restart run as admin...: Windows 1 pro Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 i9-9900K, 32 GB Running my normal, user account which is an admin acct Have not done any upgrades recently that I know of to Windows When I start or restart Windows I am unable to run as administrator - No response to...
  8. Issue with running programs as administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issue with running programs as administrator: Hi there. Couple days ago I formatted my SSD drive and reinstalled Windows 10 on it. Since that moment I have issues with account I use(lets call it ABC) even though I granted admin permission on every layer is known to me. I can't run some .exe files like CITRIX Workspace...
  9. Windows 10 "Run as Administrator" issues

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 "Run as Administrator" issues: Hi Everyone! Ever since I started using windows 10 (fresh install), I've had this issue. I go to install a program, or run a program that needs elevated rights, and the program acts like it is in the Admin account, meaning it defaults to the Admin user account's file...
  10. Intermittent Sleep Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent Sleep Issues: About 50% of the time, if I put the Win10 computer to sleep (either manually or via regular time of inactivity), it sleeps and wakes normally. However, starting 2 months ago, I randomly get a failed sleep. Symptoms: * Screen sleeps, mouse and keyboard sleep * Computer...