Windows 10: Intermittent Issues with Permissions and Saving

Discus and support Intermittent Issues with Permissions and Saving in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've recently been seeing issues cropping up across various programs with saving and accessing folders, and I'm starting to become concerned it's an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Human (Level 24), Dec 28, 2018.

1. Intermittent Issues with Permissions and Saving

I've recently been seeing issues cropping up across various programs with saving and accessing folders, and I'm starting to become concerned it's an issue with windows account / permissions.

I first noticed the issue with notepad ++, where I was working on document and suddenly found I couldn't save.
    I can't remember the exact error message, but it was along the lines of "you don't have permission".

That problem seemed to disappear with a restart. But later on I saw issues with certain preferences and files not being recognised when playing Arma 3.

Suddenly documents stored under a certain file path weren't being recognised by the game. Still haven't got to the bottom of that one.

Most recently, Blender has just started telling me it can't save, even a brand new document, because "no such directory exists". This happens even just trying to save a file under "Documents" with no sub-folders. I intend to post a query to blender forums as well but given my recent other troubles I'm becoming increasingly concerned this is a windows accounts and permissions thing.

Can you recommend any steps to troubleshoot or manage user accounts?

I only use the one account and I believe it is administrator.

I tried checking "my documents" security tab. All permissions appear to have a tick under "allow" but the tick is a sort of faded grey, not a dark, bold fill.

Is this normal?

Thanks

:)

Human (Level 24), Dec 28, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

Permission issue

Presumably because TrustedInstaller is the owner (hence you need its permission), suggesting that img3.jpg was installed by Windows at some time.

Presumably that also means it can be uninstalled. How did you get it in the first place? Where is it located?

If you really want to delete it yourself, then taking ownership would seem a logical first step.

3. Permissions to save updated files denied

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to perform the below given steps and check if it resolve the permission issue.

• Right click on the file and click on Properties.
    • Click on Security, check Owner should be "SYSTEM" in
      Advance tab.
    • Now check the save for C:\Users\<username>
    • Owner should also be "SYSTEM"
    • Check the users you signed into windows as (should be your Microsoft account) should be in the "Permissions entries" list with "Full Contol"
    • If not, Add the user you are logged in as.
    • All the folders and sub-folders below should be "owned" by the user you are logged into windows with
      importantly, have a permissions entry for "full control"
    • Check for all the related folder where you are getting same error, but for some reason that same user is missing a "Permission Entry". Add a "full control" entry for the user and you should be able to save to that folder
      and all sub-folders
    Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Dec 28, 2018
  4. Intermittent Issues with Permissions and Saving

Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Dec 28, 2018
Thema:

Intermittent Issues with Permissions and Saving

1. Intermittent Issues with Permissions and Saving - Similar Threads - Intermittent Issues Permissions

2. Intermittent Keyboard Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent Keyboard Issues: Hi all,I am currently experiencing intermittent issues with the in-built keyboard on my Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14IIL05 where a select few keys on the keyboard on a given stroke will either print 1 2 3 or even 4 characters or no character at all. So when typing with these keys, it...
  3. Intermittent Keyboard Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittent Keyboard Issues: Hi all,I am currently experiencing intermittent issues with the in-built keyboard on my Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14IIL05 where a select few keys on the keyboard on a given stroke will either print 1 2 3 or even 4 characters or no character at all. So when typing with these keys, it...
  4. Permissions Issue when Saving Files Permissions are fine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permissions Issue when Saving Files Permissions are fine: Good MorningI have a PC specific issue which is doing my head in! Was wondering if anyone is able to help.The symptoms:Saving any file to the local PC is fineSaving any file to a network share on multiple file servers brings up an error message: \\path to network shareYou...
  5. Intermittent connection issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Intermittent connection issues: I've had issues connecting to wifi for a little while now. When I turn on my laptop it says no wifi networks can be found. I've tried various methods as well as restarting my laptop several times until the problem seems to resolve on its own. My wifi then works for the rest...
  6. permission issues

permission issues: Every time I attempt to launch this program it asks for permission. Processing video g6x9i67v34w51... submitted by /u/twinightleak77 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jkklqf/permission_issues/
  7. intermittent Ethernet issues.

intermittent Ethernet issues.: I've been having intermittent issues with my ethernet cable for the last week or so for 5-30minutes it will go down once or twice a day at that time the WIFI still works so i have to switch to it. has anyone had a similar issue and would know how to fix it submitted by...
  8. Intermittent Mouse Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intermittent Mouse Issues: Hi guys, Having some issues with a wireless mouse running Windows 10, although I suspect maybe not the mouse at all. When I try to mouse over and highlight text to copy and paste, it can take me a few attempts to get it to highlight. It might highlight some letters, miss...
  9. Intermittent Folder issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Intermittent Folder issue: My clean install of Windows 10 intermittently forgets what a folder is. It also constantly resets the default program settings at random times, removing all my settings to default. After I set my defaults, usually about 20 minutes late it resets them all back to default. I...
  10. Intermittent Sleep Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent Sleep Issues: About 50% of the time, if I put the Win10 computer to sleep (either manually or via regular time of inactivity), it sleeps and wakes normally. However, starting 2 months ago, I randomly get a failed sleep. Symptoms: * Screen sleeps, mouse and keyboard sleep * Computer...