Windows 10: Intermittent keyboard non-functioning

Discus and support Intermittent keyboard non-functioning in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I use a wireless mouse and keyboard. Every now and then, often enough to be irritating, the keyboard fails to function: the mouse works properly. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ralphholmes, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Intermittent keyboard non-functioning

I use a wireless mouse and keyboard. Every now and then, often enough to be irritating, the keyboard fails to function: the mouse works properly. The keyboard problem persists for a few minutes, after which it works again. There is no discernable pattern to this problem.

This is the third wireless keyboard to show the same problem, suggesting something is wrong elsewhere.

The keyboard batteries are not responsible for the failure.

On the same desk is a cordless telephone.

Any helpful suggestions would be very gratefully received.

:)

ralphholmes, Mar 5, 2016

2. Keyboard and Mouse non-functional

What I did to resolve the issue was to boot the PC without the mouse or keyboard attached. When Windows 10 came up I reattached the input devices and was able to navigate. But I also needed to use SET POINT to get the drivers to be recognized.

Thomas McHugh, Mar 5, 2016
  3. Keyboard and Mouse non-functional

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for updating the status of the issue.

What do you refer to, when you say “I needed to use SET POINT to get the drivers to be recognized”?

Kindly be informed that when you connect Mouse or keyboard to the computer, the drivers get installed automatically. If any of the external devices are not working, you may try to update the drivers and check the functionality.
    Refer to the following article to update all the drivers available in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Mar 5, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Intermittent keyboard non-functioning

I wonder if you are suspecting interference from other wireless transmitting devices? Your comment about the cordless phone suggests an obvious test - could you relocate the phone elsewhere and see if the problem still occurs? The same with any other wireless devices located nearby. Do you have any nearby electrical devices or lights which emit radio frequency noise?

philc43, Mar 5, 2016
  5. Thank you for replying.

I did wonder about the telephone, but it's designed to cover the whole house (and the garden) so I can't see that moving it will make any difference. In any case it's constrained by the position of the telephone socket: my PC is a desktop and the desk is built into the room just by the phone socket. I can't imagine designers specify the same frequency and coding for telephones and keyboards. Temporarily relocating the phone. or just unplugging it is likely to prove inconclusive with an intermittent keyboard fault, I reckon - some days it's all OK.
    Deep down, I suspect a driver problem. I've tried uninstalling all references to the keyboard in device manager and letting it re-install, but that didn't make any difference.

ralphholmes, Mar 6, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    My problem with a wireless keyboard and mouse turned out to be interference from a Powerline network adapter that sends my Ethernet signal via the mains power cable to another room where I have a second PC. That's why I asked about other devices you may use.

Your driver theory could be right but its odd that all three keyboards suffered. It could be another driver for a motherboard component that is hogging resources and causes these temporary delays. If you have not done so make sure the motherboard drivers are all up to date.

philc43, Mar 6, 2016
  7. Thank you again for replying.

You have indeed jogged my memory: I do use a powerline network adapter, jut forgot about it. I use it to stream video to my living-room, so it sees a great deal of use. I don't know whether there is any option to change its operating parameters: as I recall, it just plugged into the mains and then worked. I'll explore the instructions after breakfast.

ralphholmes, Mar 6, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

I reckon that is the culprit! Try removing it for a while and see if it makes a difference. I never did find a way to stop it interfering, I just went back to a wired keyboard and mouse.

philc43, Mar 6, 2016
  9. robgr Win User
    I get this issue and have never pinned it down but have always suspected interference
    I've suspected wireless phone charger, DECT phone, WiFi router which are all nearby
    However, as for Ralph it's not practical to move any of the items, why is it so intermittent tho!

robgr, Mar 6, 2016
  10. Lots of feedback - great!

Intermittent problems are always difficult to pin down. Mainly it occurs when I really want to use the keyboard in a hurry, which is a bit scary.

ralphholmes, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Intermittent keyboard non-functioning - Similar Threads - Intermittent keyboard non

2. Keyboard intermittently not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard intermittently not working: My keyboard is intermittently not working on my HP Spectre 360. There will be certain keys that when pressed do nothing. Later on the same key will be working perfectly. So far, I've tried updating the driver, updating windows, uninstalling the keyboard and reinstalling it,...
  3. Keyboard intermittently not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard intermittently not working: My keyboard is intermittently not working on my HP Spectre 360. There will be certain keys that when pressed do nothing. Later on the same key will be working perfectly. So far, I've tried updating the driver, updating windows, uninstalling the keyboard and reinstalling it,...
  4. Intermittent Keyboard Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent Keyboard Issues: Hi all,I am currently experiencing intermittent issues with the in-built keyboard on my Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14IIL05 where a select few keys on the keyboard on a given stroke will either print 1 2 3 or even 4 characters or no character at all. So when typing with these keys, it...
  5. Intermittent Keyboard Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittent Keyboard Issues: Hi all,I am currently experiencing intermittent issues with the in-built keyboard on my Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14IIL05 where a select few keys on the keyboard on a given stroke will either print 1 2 3 or even 4 characters or no character at all. So when typing with these keys, it...
  6. Non functioning microphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Non functioning microphone: microphone is not working. video recording is working without audio. * Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/non-functioning-microphone/b60c63ed-8832-4a9a-9fde-8da4c83a72cf
  7. Non Functioning webcam

Non Functioning webcam: I have a Packard Bell TJ64 laptop which I bought in 2010. When I try to open the webcam it gives the error code 0xA00F4244camera not attached. It is not listed in the Device Manager. According to the Program List it is a Chicory version 1.7.82.1209. The Chicory website...
  8. HDMI port non-functional

HDMI port non-functional: After the 12/12/18 update the HDMI port stopped functioning. I found a fix on the Intel site on 12/17/18. The port stopped working again on 12/24 and I can't find a fix. What's up?...
  9. Troubleshooter non-functional

in Windows 10 Customization
    Troubleshooter non-functional: I just tried to run my troubleshooter, however says try again later. This is the first time I have ever seen this. Please advise https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/troubleshooter-non-functional/8756885e-989a-46f3-87b5-9c8170ef89dc
  10. Intermittent non-functioning Start, Notification???

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent non-functioning Start, Notification???: Why is it that sometimes the Start and Notification icons are inactive? When this happens, I restart the computer and all is well again???? 39024