Windows 10: Intermittent laptop crashes to black screen only while plugged in

Discus and support Intermittent laptop crashes to black screen only while plugged in in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all! Ive been having this strange lock up/crash issue with my HP Pavilion 15 (model cs0xxx - See specs), and I suspect it is a BIOS update, a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Paradoxical203, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Intermittent laptop crashes to black screen only while plugged in

Hi all! Ive been having this strange lock up/crash issue with my HP Pavilion 15 (model cs0xxx - See specs), and I suspect it is a BIOS update, a missing or malfunctioning driver, or (hopefully not) a hardware issue. (The issue started some time after I reinstalled Windows v1909 and updated my BIOS to the latest version (F.22).)

While Im doing anything on my laptop (most noticeable when watching videos) while plugged in, it starts by suddenly lagging severely for a second with the screen turning off about a second after, and whatever was playing turns into a buzzing sound very similar to what you hear on a BSOD. The hard drive is still on but with no activity, and any keyboard presses or mouse input does nothing. I have to abruptly power off the laptop and turn it back on. This doesnt happen when on battery.

Crash dumps are of no help since they are not created or fail to create for this particular crash. Another thing Im noticing is that there is an error level event in Event Viewer (system category) that says the last shutdown at about the time of this crash was unexpected, as well as an info level message stating The last shutdowns success status was false. (..and if I recall correctly, a critical level event saying that the system wasn't shutdown properly.)

Diagnosis steps performed so far:
    1. Hard drive Surface/Sector scan and S.M.A.R.T. + Self tests (no errors)
    2. Windows and driver updates where applicable.
    3. Process and memory test (no errors).
    What I may try is a BIOS Rollback, but I'm not sure if that will work.

I'm afraid it'll happen during online classes. It can (and has) happen(ed) once or twice in a day, or not at all (which appears to be the case the rest of the time).
    Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what may be happening/fixes? Thank you!

(Side note: well, I did not expect to post an issue about my laptop here, but for some odd reason I'm not getting any responses elsewhere.
    I don't know exactly where this fits in regards to crashing, so correct me if this is in the wrong place. I also have not been seen here by most people - introductory thread maybe coming soon?)

:)

Paradoxical203, Nov 14, 2020

2. Intermittent black screen problem in Windows 10

Hi Warren,

There are several reasons why you are facing an intermittent black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• On which scenarios did the black screen issue happen again?
    • Have you recently installed any updates?
    • Have you made any particular changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • Are there any 3rd party programs or software installed on your computer?
    • To make sure we have not missed on anything, may we know the list of steps that you have done to resolve the issue?

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Dhavelyn Mer, Nov 14, 2020
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Laptop Screen goes dark when I Plug in or plug out.

Hi Haifz,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that your laptop screen goes black while plugging the charger.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, let me know what is the model number of the laptop?

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Outdated or corrupt driver.
    • Missing Windows Updates.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to install all the available Windows Updates and check if it helps.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to download and install all the latest device drivers including graphics and chipset driver from the computer manufacturer website.

http://support.asus.com/download/Options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Nov 14, 2020
  4. Intermittent laptop crashes to black screen only while plugged in

Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Nov 14, 2020
Thema:

Intermittent laptop crashes to black screen only while plugged in

1. Intermittent laptop crashes to black screen only while plugged in - Similar Threads - Intermittent laptop crashes

2. Black Screen when Laptop charger is plugged in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen when Laptop charger is plugged in.: I have an Asus TUF A15One day i'm reseting my Laptop using method reset PC I'm using Windows 11, after that when i want some game, and pluged in my laptop, suddenly my laptop goes black screen, not 100% black just cover 80% off the screen and the rest of it still working....
  3. Laptop crashes when gaming while plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop crashes when gaming while plugged in: Hello, I am having a problem with my laptop where it will crash with a black screen after about 15 minutes of playing games like Valorant, Overwatch, CSGO it's not like my laptop cant run these games as it meets the recommended requirements there is no warning of the crash,...
  4. Laptop crashes when gaming while plugged in

Laptop crashes when gaming while plugged in: Hello, I am having a problem with my laptop where it will crash with a black screen after about 15 minutes of playing games like Valorant, Overwatch, CSGO it's not like my laptop cant run these games as it meets the recommended requirements there is no warning of the crash,...
  5. Black Screen Crash while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen Crash while gaming: I was playing a game on my computer until my computer Monitor Went black and then I was forced to shut off my computer. This is the error code I recieved:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 0xffffda8348613010, 0xfffff8062e650c20,...
  6. Black Screen Crash while gaming

Black Screen Crash while gaming: I was playing a game on my computer until my computer Monitor Went black and then I was forced to shut off my computer. This is the error code I recieved:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 0xffffda8348613010, 0xfffff8062e650c20,...
  7. Black Screen Crash while gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Black Screen Crashes While Gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen Crashes While Gaming: Seems to happen randomly while playing any game. Had it happen during Tomb Raider, Psychonauts 2, Company of Heroes and even Deus Ex. Not sure what's causing it to be honest. All I could find in Event Viewer was "Event 1001, BugCheck The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck....
  9. Intermittent laptop crashes to black

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent laptop crashes to black: Hi all! Ive been having this strange lock up/crash issue with my HP Pavilion 15 (model cs0xxx - See specs), and I suspect it is a BIOS update, a missing or malfunctioning driver, or (hopefully not) a hardware issue. (The issue started some time after I reinstalled Windows...
  10. Only while plugged in, the Laptop screengoes black doesn't respond after idle screen timeout.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Only while plugged in, the Laptop screengoes black doesn't respond after idle screen timeout.: Hello there, I've been facing this issue since 2 years now, seems like a simple problem but mine is really weird, I didn't get any query regarding my issue hence I decided to post it myself. Please read my post completely and please help me resolve this issue. When I...