Windows 10: Intermittent printing problems with HP 8600 on a network

Discus and support Intermittent printing problems with HP 8600 on a network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello - REALLY hoping for some help here. I have an HP 8600 deskjet printer that won't maintain the connection to a Windows 10 desktop computer. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bue11er, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Bue11er Win User

Intermittent printing problems with HP 8600 on a network

Hello - REALLY hoping for some help here.

I have an HP 8600 deskjet printer that won't maintain the connection to a Windows 10 desktop computer. It will randomly disconnect from the computer - as if it is offline and can't be seen by the computer. This has happened both with it connected via USB and now as a network printer. This printer is set up as a network printer between two Windows 10 computers (the other is a laptop). It continues to print fine with the laptop - it won't with the desktop machine. For instance, yesterday print jobs were sent to the printer. The printer would not print. The computer was shut off last night. The print jobs were left sitting in the queue. This morning the computer was turned back on. The print jobs started to spool and print!

I am at a loss. I have made certain the computer has all of its updates. Tried both usb and network. made a small batch file to continue to ping the printer (i read somewhere else the wireless card will go to sleep and won't want to wake up). I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times, which will fix it temporarily. I have run the HP print/scan doctor - the problem continues to crop up.

Please send any information any of you have this - I'm already bald - I don't have any more hair to pull out and this is KILLING ME!!! I've been fighting this for MONTHS NOW!!!

Thank you!

This computer is a:
    HP Compaq dc7900

Win 10 Pro
    mini tower
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor 3.0 GHz, 6 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB Featuring Core 2 Processor with vPro Technology
    Intel PRO/1000 CT Network Connection*
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 (integrated on chipset)

:)

Bue11er, Mar 2, 2018

2. Windows 10 - Control panel shows my HP Officejet Pro 8600 networked printer as "not connected" but it works?

Control panel shows my HP Officejet Pro 8600 networked printer as "not connected" but it
    does print and scan? Troubleshooter reports that it cannot diagnose the issue. ?!?!?!?!

The Barn Cat, Mar 2, 2018
  3. Printer problems

Why doesn't my computer communicate with my HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer anymore? I can see the printer on the wireless network but it stopped printing two days ago

LarryBradley_901, Mar 2, 2018
  4. Intermittent printing problems with HP 8600 on a network

Hi Bue11er. Welcome to the TenForums @Bue11er

To prevent wireless card from "sleeping" open Device Manager, right click adapter, properties, Power Management tab, uncheck allow the computer to shutoff device to save power.

Not sure if this will help as it sounds like your Internet Connection remains intact.

Just for clarity, the printer is connected to your network wirelessly, correct? and the device that drops the printer, how is it connected to network. I think I'm seeing you are wired to network? If so then you have to find your wired adapter and hit Power Mgmt.

One other thing I think I would try is setting your default printer to this printer. Open settings, Devices, Printers and scanners and uncheck "Let Windows manage my default printer"

Are you running the same AV on both computers?

Caledon Ken, Mar 4, 2018
  5. Bue11er Win User
    Thank you for the reply -

The post I had read referenced that the wireless card inside the printer went to sleep. I can't be certain this is the problem though. Two computer are using that printer over a network. A Win 10 laptop, connected through wireless, has no problem printing. The desktop computer, Win 10, is connected to the router through a wired connection. It has the intermittent problem.

I'll look for the power management setting for the onboard ethernet. I've never thought that an onboard NIC would go to sleep. It can't be and AV software - only Windows defender is installed. The computers are only used to receive and send email, no web browsing at all. I've thought about putting in a different NIC card and different cat5 cable. It would seem that those things wouldn't present intermittent problems which seem to be solved by uninstalling and reinstalling printer drivers though.

If you have any additional thoughts I would love to hear them. He lives about 15 miles away, so will probably be going out there later this week to try new solutions. I've been struggling to understand what this problem would be for quite a while now - been out there multiple times for it.

Is there any part of Windows that could possible be stopping the print jobs? When it won't print, it looks in Windows as if the printer is turned off - unavailable. Maybe it's that power management on the NIC, or something else that makes Windows think the printer isn't there when it really is?

Thank you again.

Bue11er, Mar 5, 2018
  6. You could also try reinstalling the printer software and driver in the wired computer. With HP devices I like to keep them shutoff during the install until the installation says connect printer.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Intermittent printing problems with HP 8600 on a network

1. Intermittent printing problems with HP 8600 on a network - Similar Threads - Intermittent printing problems

2. networking print problems.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    networking print problems.: test page failed to print. would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networking-print-problems/7536c75b-d4cd-4670-a27b-7b7dd7c8dc72
  3. HP officejet Pro 8600

HP officejet Pro 8600: I installed windows 10 on my PC. My HP officejet pro 8600 that I have had for years works fine, but will not scan to computer. The computer does not recognize the scanner. Printer says scanner is disabled. How do I get into printer software to change it....
  4. HP Businessjet 8600 & 8610 Won't Print after Windows 2004 update

HP Businessjet 8600 & 8610 Won't Print after Windows 2004 update: I ran the Windows 10 ver 2004 update on Wednesday August 8th. After the update both of my Businessjet printers stopped printing. On the 8600 connected wirelessly print jobs would be sent but not print. The 8610 connected by USB could not be "found" at all. I performed a...
  5. hp 8600 scanner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hp 8600 scanner: I want to scan documents to a PDF file. scanner works with Microsoft scanner ap but pdf file is not an option. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-8600-scanner/bc4bd016-cf48-4bf6-a4b0-b1d74cf7ff57
  6. HP Officejet Pro 8600 Network Printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    HP Officejet Pro 8600 Network Printer: I have one HP Laptop Computer, one HP Desktop Computer and one HP Officejet Pro Network Printer. Desktop Computer prints fine on wired. Laptop will not print on wireless. Any suggestions. Has worked in the past....
  7. HP Networked OfficeJet Pro 8600+ Printer Keeps Disappearing Windows 10

HP Networked OfficeJet Pro 8600+ Printer Keeps Disappearing Windows 10: I have three PCs in my LAN with Windows 10 release 1903 (OS Build18362.239) and I have installed a HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g network printer. The connection is wireless. The printer keeps disappearing out of Devices and Printers on all three PCs, although not all at the...
  8. HP Officejet Pro 8600

HP Officejet Pro 8600: My printer has stopped printing wirelessly, router details on the device are set correctly. Please can you help me? Many thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-officejet-pro-8600/d4ee180a-05e5-45d2-be81-f9b6d9e3f575
  9. HP Scanner (with HP Printer 8600)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HP Scanner (with HP Printer 8600): Cannot save from my scanner to computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-scanner-with-hp-printer-8600/0d9855eb-7b8f-4c82-856b-e1356bf7e71d
  10. HP D1460 Printer intermittent prints

HP D1460 Printer intermittent prints: Since I upgraded to Win 10 Pro from Win 8.1 Pro printing has become intermittent on my Deskjet D1460. There are no drivers on the hp site for this printer for Win 10 just the scan and print doctor. In fact the only way to get the printer to print is to print a test page...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp 8600 wireless intermittent connection