Windows 10: Intermittent Problem copying files across my network

Discus and support Intermittent Problem copying files across my network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm having a bizarre problem copying files from one of my networked computers to other computers on the network. Here are the details: I have four... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by hwilker, Feb 9, 2019.

1. hwilker Win User

Intermittent Problem copying files across my network

I'm having a bizarre problem copying files from one of my networked computers to other computers on the network. Here are the details:

I have four computers on my home network, as follows:

1. A home built PC running Windows 10 Home (see system spec in my profile).
    2. An older home built PC running Windows 10.
    3. An unraid media server.
    4. A NUC that serves as a media player, running Windows 7.

Computers 1 & 2 were, until recently running Windows 7. Then, I installed Windows 10 (version 1809, OS Build 17763.253) via fresh installs (not via updating from Windows 7) on computers 1 and 2.

Before updating to Windows 10 all the computers inter-operated just fine. Files could be successfully copied from any computer to any other computer, and the NUC could play media files from any of the other computers.

Since installing Windows 10, I have a problem that is intermittent but very common wherein copying a file from computer 1 to any of the other computers stalls in the middle of copying, the task either never completes or hangs for up to ten minutes before completing.

The sequence of events tends to (but not always) happen like this.

Starting from a cold boot files will successfully copy, until one doesn't. When it doesn't, the 'file copying' dialog will look like this: (I am using RoboCopy but the same thing happens if I use window's copy app.)

Intermittent Problem copying files across my network [​IMG]

Typically it will be very close to complete, or like this example, indicate that it is totally complete, but the dialog won't close itself, and it won't close via the close button. The only way to close it is via the task manager.

I get no error message in most cases. In two cases, out of hundreds of failed attempts to copy a file, I received a message like this:

Intermittent Problem copying files across my network [​IMG]

Whether I get the message or not, once I dismiss the copying dialog via the task manager, the file exists on the destination computer but is unplayable, and attempts to delete it fail because it says it's in use by another app.

Once a copy has failed, then any further attempts to copy a file from Computer 1, invariably fails until a reboot. Occasionally, copying fails even on the first try after a reboot.

No other computers on the network are affected by this. They can copy files freely from and to each other. In fact they remain able to copy files from and to Computer 1. It is only Computer 1 that is unable to copy files to other computers.

The network itself seems unaffected by this. I can see all the network computers from the other computers. I can ping each computer from the other. And I can see and access all the shared disks on each computer from the other computers.

I have been trying to troubleshoot this problem for days. Attempts to narrow it down any further have led me in circles.

I'm hoping someone here knows more about this than I do and can point me in the right direction, as I've tried everything I can think of to narrow down or eliminate the problem.

Thanks in advance.

:)

hwilker, Feb 9, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Feb 9, 2019
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Feb 9, 2019
  4. Anusha Win User

Problem with network file copying. Motherboard(LAN) or driver problem?

Hi,

At work, when I copy few files from my Sandybridge PC (i7 2600) to another Sandybridge server (i5 2400), i get a problem.

The file copying will stop in the middle. Stop means, no error or anything, but the progressbar in Windows 7 file copying dialog will get stuck. The animation as if something is going on is still there, but there is no progress. When I try to cancel it, it tries to cancel for hours and hours without getting it done. This doesn't happen when I copy a single file. Only when I copy few files, doesn't have to be large; a few MBs.

When this happens, the PC would not turn off. I have to hold the power button till power goes off and then turn back ON. It's insane!

There is no problem when I try to copy the same data from my other PC (an AthlonX2) to the same server.

BTW, this is one of those pre-B3 motherboards. It has the SATA problem, but AFAIK the hard drive is plugged into the SATA3 port. (Should check this)

Everything is OK when I copy data FROM the server TO the PC.

HDD is a WD Caviar Blue 500GB, Mobo is an ECS H67 board. (Cannot recall the model)
    Server has two Caviar Blues in RAID-1. But it is not a problem with the server as nobody else has this problem. But only I have a Sandybridge.

What could be the problem? Intel IST driver? Something wrong with Windows? (happens in both 32bit, 64bit Ultimate (corp license) and 64bit HP which came by default with the PC) Sandybridge SATA issue?

Few things I should try.
    1. Try updating the drivers, specifically LAN driver and Intel RST driver
    2. Update mobo BIOS (but I prefer not to do this)
    3. Use Teracopy

any other thoughts?

Anusha, Feb 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Intermittent Problem copying files across my network - Similar Threads - Intermittent Problem copying

2. Error 0x8007003B when copying large files across network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x8007003B when copying large files across network: Alright, I've been banging my head against this problem for a few months now and I haven't been able to crack it.I am fully aware that there have been many questions along these lines and many solutions offered...
  3. Error 0x8007003B when copying large files across network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 0x8007003B when copying large files across network: Alright, I've been banging my head against this problem for a few months now and I haven't been able to crack it.I am fully aware that there have been many questions along these lines and many solutions offered...
  4. Error 0x8007003B when copying large files across network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Error 0x8007003B when copying large files across network...

Error 0x8007003B when copying large files across network...: Error 0x8007003B when copying large files across network... It happens only around 10 Gb or more. What i already tryed Firewall off on both machinesRealtime viruscheking off on both machines.From client windows 10 to server a windows 2019 with a storage pool of 4 disks 10TB...
  6. Copying files across 2 hard disks

Copying files across 2 hard disks: Hello, I have successfully copied about 500GB of files from a hard disk containing 800GB to a 2nd hard disk. But I now need to copy the other 300GB onto a 3rd hard disk. So what I want to know is if there is an XCOPY command or something similar to copy all files from the...
  7. Copy files across network concurrently (several at the same time)

Copy files across network concurrently (several at the same time): Hi folks File explorer can copy files acrosss a network but it seems to do only 1 at a time Filezilla via sftp copes with copying several concurrently. Similar ftp type of programsalso can do this. [img] anyway of replicating that with file explorer in settings /...
  8. Private network file transfer intermittent problem

Private network file transfer intermittent problem: I have two laptops and a desktop all on my home network. I use Laptop 1 for daily needs, Laptop 2 mostly for streaming to my TV, and the desktop as a central "file server." All three of these are running Windows 10 Pro fully up-to-date. From time to time, I copy files from...
  9. Problem copy / open files from network

Problem copy / open files from network: Good morning to you, a colleague informs me that when opening some excel files saved on the network drive, he detects problems. Deepening, I notice this behavior: I copy the file from the network drive to the desktop, the copying procedure is "completed", the file...
  10. File sharing across my private network

File sharing across my private network: Quite suddenly (I presume after a Windows 10 update) both of my TV media players are unable to access files on my Windows 10 computer. Amongst other things I have tried to turn off password protected sharing, but this change does not save correctly....