Windows 10: Intermittent Screen Flickering - Which Display Adapter to Rollback

Discus and support Intermittent Screen Flickering - Which Display Adapter to Rollback in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Good morning. I'm taking a new class this morning, and noticed screen flickering for the first time. While the video is playing through Blackboard on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kalidogg, Dec 4, 2020.

1. kalidogg Win User

Intermittent Screen Flickering - Which Display Adapter to Rollback

Good morning. I'm taking a new class this morning, and noticed screen flickering for the first time. While the video is playing through Blackboard on Chrome, everything works fine. As soon as I type in MS Word at the same time, my screen starts to flicker.

I assumed the problem had to do with the graphics card, but after reading thisMS help topic, it appears that the Display adapter driver may be the problem. There are three drivers installed, so how do I determine which one isn't working, which one was recently updated, and which one needs to be rolled back? Thanks.

Heather

:)

kalidogg, Dec 4, 2020
  2. Suman_B Win User

Wireless Display Adapter Flickering Issues

Hi Brian,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Are you aware of any changes made on your computer before this issue occurred?

I suggest you to try the following methods and check:

Method 1: Fix Screen flickering in Windows 10.

This guided walk-through provides steps to Troubleshoot screen
    flickering in Windows 10

Method 2: Troubleshooting Wireless Display Adapters.

I suggest you to refer the article to Fix
    Wireless Display Adapters
    issues.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Suman_B, Dec 4, 2020
  3. Screen flicker

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that screen is flickering on Windows 10.

Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below.

If you see the flickering screen only
    after sign-in and you can see a mouse cursor:

• While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.
    • If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.
      If this resolves the black screen, use corruption resolution steps (dism, then sfc).
    • If this does not work, use File, Run new task in Task Manager to start an Administrator CMD window. Use this to create a new administrator user with the following commands (changing “<password>” to something of the customer’s choosing):

net user test <password> /add

net localgroup Administrators test /add
    This will give you a test user to try, which will confirm if the issue is user or system-specific.

If you see the flickering screen before sign-in:

1. Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

• To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
    • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, DisplayPort to VGA, or any other combination.
    2. Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.

• Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

• Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters.
      • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work)
      • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Dec 4, 2020
  4. Intermittent Screen Flickering - Which Display Adapter to Rollback

Intermittent screen flicker

Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is Jan. I'm a Microsoft Advisor and a user like you. I'll be happy to help you out today. I understand you have a problem with your computer not working properly.

Screen flickering in Windows 10 is usually caused by a display driver issue or incompatible app. To determine whether a display driver or app is causing the problem, check to see if Task Manager flickers. Then, based on that information, you'll need to update,
    rollback, or uninstall your display driver or update or uninstall the app.

Heres how you can troubleshoot Screen flickering

https://support.microsoft.com/help/12374/window...

TechPenguin, Dec 4, 2020
Thema:

Intermittent Screen Flickering - Which Display Adapter to Rollback

1. Intermittent Screen Flickering - Which Display Adapter to Rollback - Similar Threads - Intermittent Screen Flickering

2. Weird colour display and flickering screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird colour display and flickering screen: Hello! I’ve been playing a new game recently but the colours look extremely pinkish and bright on my screen. I’ve streamed the game once and it looks normal to my friends but on my end it looks weird so I figured it might be my PC settings. On top of that, my screen keeps...
  3. Display or screen flickers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display or screen flickers: My screen flickers for every 2 minutes and I dont know what is going on. I dont think it is a hardware concern since this is a brand new machine. Windows is also updated and I dont make any changes on this PC....
  4. Display or screen flickers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display or screen flickers: My screen flickers for every 2 minutes and I dont know what is going on. I dont think it is a hardware concern since this is a brand new machine. Windows is also updated and I dont make any changes on this PC....
  5. Display or screen flickers

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter disconnects intermittently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter disconnects intermittently: We have two different Microsoft wireless display adapters the standard and the 4K version. Both have the same issue of loosing connection after 3 to 5 seconds. I have downloaded the Wireless Display adapter app from the Microsoft store and checked the firmware both stated in...
  7. Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter disconnects intermittently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter disconnects intermittently: We have two different Microsoft wireless display adapters the standard and the 4K version. Both have the same issue of loosing connection after 3 to 5 seconds. I have downloaded the Wireless Display adapter app from the Microsoft store and checked the firmware both stated in...
  8. Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter disconnects intermittently

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Flickering screen / no display on laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Flickering screen / no display on laptop: Hello, i have a issue with the display after the following update. KB5000808. I am using dell laptop 5558, with intel hd graphics 4400. At present I am using the pc by connecting it to my TV. Unfortunately I have no restore point to restore my laptop. If I try to uninstall...
  10. Intermittent screen flicker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intermittent screen flicker: I have a screen flicker problem which seems different from that which is commonly reported. My flicker is intermittent, occurring perhaps once in an hour, often less frequently. Typically the screen flickers briefly, then goes black. After a few moments it comes back as...